RRR - New Indian Action Blockbuster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dom D View Post

Bay and Emmerich aren't going to make such a dunderheaded movie though.
    I beg to differ. Bay & Emmerich have made some mighty silly movies

Comment

Fair. I saw Moonfall this year. That was indeed a deeply, deeply stupid film. It didn't feature anyone wrestling tigers or giving a piggy back ride in the middle of a gunfight or a thumping dance sequence though. You cant compare the films. Bay and Emmerich don't have a film like this in them.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Fair. I saw Moonfall this year. That was indeed a deeply, deeply stupid film. It didn't feature anyone wrestling tigers or giving a piggy back ride in the middle of a gunfight or a thumping dance sequence though. You cant compare the films. Bay and Emmerich don't have a film like this in them.
        Exactly the same stuff? No, but plenty of stupid ones.

And regardless, substitute a fictionanal American Director if you prefer who included piggy backing and thumping dance sequences. The point is that a lot of critics who are loving RRR would laugh that movie off the screen, but are giving this one a pass because it's so "exotic" to their eyes.
        JoeS
        Last edited by JoeS; 12-31-2022, 12:25 PM.

Comment

No one talks about art films anymore but 20 years back whenever you would praise a Bergman, Godard or some such someone would jump up and say "you only like it because you've need told it's art. You'd rave up a Fast and The Furious movie if you thought Kurosawa directed it." Which was stupid because none of those directors named would have made a movie like that in the first place. That's why we like them.

RRR does not play like any American movie. You cant say "all the fans would have dismissed if it was made by and American" because no American would make this in the first place. Thats why we fucking love it.

Personal point of comparison for this movie is Once Upon A Time In China. Love that movie too and for most of the same reasons.
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

RRR does not play like any American movie. You cant say "all the fans would have dismissed if it was made by and American" because no American would make this in the first place. Thats why we fucking love it..
            Again, missing my main point. Of course no American would make this exact same movie. But, there are plenty of dunderheaded big action films made. And, most don't get this praise. They are dismissed.

Comment

I didn't catch it but apparently S.S. Rajamouli was on Late Night with Seth Meyers last night talking up RRR.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by JoeS View Post

Again, missing my main point. Of course no American would make this exact same movie. But, there are plenty of dunderheaded big action films made. And, most don't get this praise. They are dismissed.
                What impressed me about it so much is that it was deliriously FUN. Yes, it was over the top, but I was grinning at how outlandish it was. I've not liked Bollywood movies as a general rule but this transcended all of the baggage attached to it because it was just an incredibly enjoyable romp.

Absolutely agree that it will be too much for some, not enough for others, etc. However, for those of us that it clicked with? It was fantastic, and possibly the most fun I've had watching a movie in quite awhile.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	rrr.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	410561
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                  X