X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RRR - New Indian Action Blockbuster

This looks pretty fun.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I keep forgetting this is on Netflix so I'm bumping this to remind myself to watch it.

Here's an article why streaming isn't the best option (cropping) but I think for now, for me at least, it's the only realistic one.

https://www.ign.com/articles/why-and...ould-watch-rrr
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I wrote about this film in the Watching Now thread in the main forum. It's fucking brilliant! Ridiculously over the top but also has literal shittons of heart. A couple of the action scenes are all time over the top classics and I'm surprised to say my favourite bit was the dance sequence.

I would call it an Indian Once Upon A Time In China.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        Here's an article why streaming isn't the best option (cropping) but I think for now, for me at least, it's the only realistic one.

https://www.ign.com/articles/why-and...ould-watch-rrr
        Btw I'm pretty sure that article is incorrect. I believe this is just an open matte version and has been screened theatrically like this. In the few screenshots I've been able to find the "cropped" version looks more correct to my eye.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Ah, thanks for pointing that out.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Joe Dante gives it his seal of approval.

Comment

RRR director talks about the film's surprising success on Netflix.

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/07/rr...ss-1234746863/
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I know we're all about physical media here but I think this quote from Joe Russo is very hard to dispute: "“And I would say in five years, [digital distribution] has probably done more for diversity and access to diverse and international films than Hollywood has done in 50 years.”"

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                  I know we're all about physical media here but I think this quote from Joe Russo is very hard to dispute: "“And I would say in five years, [digital distribution] has probably done more for diversity and access to diverse and international films than Hollywood has done in 50 years.”"
                  He's got a point, there weren't too many Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragons out there. I await the Netflix funded sequel starring Dwayne Johnson with great anticipation!
                  I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Beyond Fest will be hosting a retrospective of the director's work soon.

https://screenanarchy.com/2022/09/be...rajamouli.html
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                      Beyond Fest will be hosting a retrospective of the director's work soon.

https://screenanarchy.com/2022/09/be...rajamouli.html
                      I watched the Bahabouli films as well. The big battle scenes run too long but otherwise they're just as good as RRR. The first film has one of my favourite scenes of the millennium.

Comment

3 hours and 7 minutes.
                        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Ajay Devgn on RRR' success.

https://deadline.com/2022/11/ajay-de...-2-1235178389/
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

RRR has some cheeky fun moments and entertaining action, but spread out over three hours, the percentage isn't high. And, the script really is Sharknado stupid.
                            I've seen a few other Indian action/musical films so I guess I wasn't as wowed by just the sheer spectacle alone as all those folks proclaiming: YOU'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE!!

Not to mention, that if such a dunderheaded movie were made by Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich -- a lot of the folks who are praising it to the skies would be laughing it off the screen. Exoticsm at its most blatant.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeS View Post
                              YOU'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS BEFORE!!

Not to mention, that if such a dunderheaded movie were made by Michael Bay or Roland Emmerich -- a lot of the folks who are praising it to the skies would be laughing it off the screen. Exoticsm at its most blatant.
                              Bay and Emmerich aren't going to make such a dunderheaded movie though.

Comment

Working...
                              X