Picnic at Hanging Rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picnic at Hanging Rock

I just blind buy this one today from Amazon UK.

I'm sure that some of you have seen it and can tell me without spoiler if this costly purchase (more than 20 $CDN) is a good one.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of the UK release you bought but I can say that the movie is smart and very well made and that you'll very likely enjoy it quite a bit.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

From what I have understand there is two versions of the film (the original theatrical release and a shorter director cut) and a documentary that seem quite complete (almost 2 hours). A positive, at least for me as I find the australian accent hard to understand, it include english subtitles.

Comment

crap. I just wrote a long reply that vanished. oh well. you got a good dvd version of the film.

there's also a region free blu ray now. I might have to get that.

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcom...nging-rock.htm

Comment

Originally posted by paul h. View Post
          crap. I just wrote a long reply that vanished. oh well.
          I always copy my text before posting it, I've lost long post too at another board and I feel safer that way.

Comment

Liked this film a lot and would like to revisit.

Comment

My parents visited some of the locations for this movie and that inspired them to watch it. My mom told me the other day that it was the worst movie she'd ever seen.

For context, her favorite movie of all time is Mamma Mia!. When I told her I though this was a great movie, she told me I was crazy. I've admittedly never seen Mamma Mia! but I'm pretty sure this movie is better.

Anyway, I know it's all subjective but I believe that the moral of the story is that my mom doesn't have great taste in movies.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                My parents visited some of the locations for this movie and that inspired them to watch it.
                Hanging Rock is easy walking distance from where I live. Oddly I still havent been.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post

Hanging Rock is easy walking distance from where I live. Oddly I still havent been.
                  Well, according to my mom, it's pretty great. Just not the movie.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post

Or maybe you have and just don't know it on account of the time warp.
                    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post

Or maybe you have and just don't know it on account of the time warp.
                      I'll have a wander over sometime soon and bring my camera with me in case of any such shenanigans.
                      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Second Sight announced this for UHD, no dates or other details yet.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Coming to 4K UHD 5/1 from Second Sight Films

Picnic at Hanging Rock Limited Edition 4K UHD & Blu-ray

Special Features
                          A new Second Sight 4K restoration from the original camera negative supervised and approved by Director Peter Weir and Director of Photography Russell Boyd
                          Dual format 4 disc set featuring 2 UHDs and 2 Blu-rays both with bonus features
                          Includes restored versions of both Director's Cut and original Theatrical Cut
                          UHDs presented in HDR
                          Audio Commentary by film academics Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Josh Nelson
                          A Lovely Day for a Picnic: a new interview with Actor Karen Robson
                          Finding the Light: a new interview with Cinematographer Russell Boyd
                          Crashing Through Boundaries: a new interview Camera Operator John Seale
                          Something Beyond Explanation: Thomas Caldwell on Picnic at Hanging Rock
                          A Dream Within a Dream feature length documentary
                          An interview with author Joan Lindsay
                          A Recollection: Hanging Rock 1900
                          Outtakes
                          Original long trailer

Limited Edition Contents
                          Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Thinh Dinh
                          Soft cover book with new essays by Daniel Bird, Kat Ellinger and Justine Smith, archive essay by Rebecca Harkins-Cross, Costume Gallery and features on the original marketing of the film and the new restoration
                          The original novel with exclusive cover art by Thinh Dinh
                          6 collectors' art cards

Click image for larger version

Name:	331137698_584745677026094_3711030425099273189_n.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	409654
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Went for a wander at Hanging Rock today. Turned out not to be as close as I thought it was. From my house in Woodend it was a ten minute drive so at the start of Hanging Rock when the teacher says "girls, leave you gloves and hats on till we get through the village of woodend" they had a pretty long carriage ride in front of them. Annoyingly I forgot to charge my cameras batteries so only phone snaps. The photos really fail to catch the scale of the place. At the base the Rock absolutely looms over you and when you get to the top it feels like being on an aeroplane with the country laid out beneath you.

Tons of nocks and crannies to explore and plenty of places to just walk in the ring direction and step out into nothing which I guess is what happened.

Comment

Huh.... our visit prompted me to look up the true story. Turns out there is no true story. It's real like Fargos real. I always believed it was based on a true story....

What's bizarre is there's a visitors centre at the base of Hanging Rock with displays telling the story. Turns out they are just narrating the movie plot. That is major false advertising.

Comment

Working...
                              X