Clear All

• Umbrella Entertainment Releasing Death Warmed Up

*ANNOUNCEMENT*

Click image for larger version

Name:	DyoDLRZV4AE1Zrx.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	369635

Umbrella Entertainment is proud to announce, for the first time on Blu-ray, the notorious New Zealand splatter masterpiece, DEATH WARMED UP!

Directed by David Blyth (ANGEL MINE) and written by Michael Heath (NEXT OF KIN), DEATH WARMED UP was ground-zero for antipodean 80s horror/sci-fi and set the bar for stomach-churning ferocity. Carrying a stylish new-wave/punk energy ala LIQUID SKY colliding head-on with the gritty, no-holds-barred splatter of early Peter Jackson...but pre-dating BAD TASTE and BRAINDEAD by several years. DEATH WARMED UP did it first and with a rare, aggressive tone that gives the film a nihilistic edge over its peers of the slasher era and thus became a worldwide hit at film festivals and on VHS.

Mired in controversy upon release and dripping with in-your-face FX which saw it censored around the world, DEATH WARMED UP had conservatives outraged and horror fans in awe of its relentlessly grim and stylised atmosphere, winning awards and critical acclaim. In Paris at the 1985 International Festival of Fantastique Film and Science Fiction, surrealist maestro Alejandro Jodorowsky hailed DEATH WARMED UP as "an apocalypse of slaughter...seldom has the weight of image been so purposeful". Cue magazine simply called it, "the ugliest, most repulsive movie made in New Zealand"...

DEATH WARMED UP is coming to Blu-ray in April courtesy of Umbrella Entertainment and will be loaded with extras detailing the unusual path this film has travelled over the past 35 years. An absolute feast for fans of abrasive and bold cinema and another must-have for horror collectors.

PRE-ORDER TODAY!

Blu-ray: https://goo.gl/fs6vhw
    DVD: https://goo.gl/fFJmsV
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Long overdue for one of the very best 80's horrors and really an important film. More of Blyth's films need quality discs.
    LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

From the Code Red fb group:

Bruce Holecheck:
      "Hrmm... According to Umbrella's product page, they'll be including "Deleted / Missing scenes with optional audio commentary" along with the "Original New Zealand 4:3 VHS cut." I'm starting to worry the main presentation might be a censored cut."
      2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

I'll pick it up depending on reviews. I'm not sure I've actually seen it. I remember seeing the video in pretty much every video store.

Comment

I haven't seen it since the VHS days, I think it was a Vestron tape? Either way, I don't remember it all that well aside from the fact that I dug it.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            I haven't seen it since the VHS days, I think it was a Vestron tape?
            Indeed. Amazing cover art.

LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

My buddies and I used to quote this one all the time after we rented the tape in high school. I re-watched it last year via one of those cheap ass Mill Creek collections. I enjoyed it and will grab the blu for sure.

Comment

That's the cover I remember, Tom.

Roderick, which Mill Creek set was it on?
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  Roderick, which Mill Creek set was it on?
                  Pure Terror

https://www.amazon.com/Pure-Terror-M...+%26+TV&sr=1-1

Comment

Thanks. Had no idea it made it into one of those sets.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I loved this film back when I was a kid. It has such a weird disorientating feel to it, and if it's the uncut version I'll have to pick it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Epic Bisto View Post
                        I loved this film back when I was a kid. It has such a weird disorientating feel to it, and if it's the uncut version I'll have to pick it up.
                        Like I said earlier, Holecheck said it's most likely not the uncut version. They're including the "Original New Zealand 4:3 VHS cut" in the extras. which most likely means the blu-ray is cut and the uncut VHS version in the extras is the uncut version.
                        2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Does anyone know details on how much is cut?

Comment

The only info on the IMDB regarding cuts is this:

"The BBFC required approximately a minute of cuts to grant a certificate in the UK. Also cut in Australia."

That's not really helpful.

This is though:

https://www.refused-classification.com/censorship/films/d-2.html
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Even if the main presentation is a censored cut it's still a huge deal if it's film-sourced. Up until recently there were no known usable film elements.

Comment

Working...
                              X