• Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bird was shot. That was it.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
      I don't recall how graphic any of the animal violence is in EL TOPO, but will it be uncut in the UK?
      It's been uncut in the UK since the late nineties.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I'll be getting this. It will look good on my shelf!
        "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Yeah, I'll need this too. My concern is that after I buy it Arrow will do a UHD release, but then, if they didn't do UHD with Robocop, which will surely do bigger numbers than this, then they probably won't do UHD with this. At least not for a while.

Which is a fucking shame, because how gorgeous would Holy Mountain look on a proper 4k disc?
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            Yeah, I'll need this too. My concern is that after I buy it Arrow will do a UHD release, but then, if they didn't do UHD with Robocop, which will surely do bigger numbers than this, then they probably won't do UHD with this. At least not for a while.

Which is a fucking shame, because how gorgeous would Holy Mountain look on a proper 4k disc?
            There are plenty of recent Arrow releases that I haven't bothered with for this reason after Waterworld got released on UHD by Universal only a few months later (albeit looking very different).

Extras mean less and less to me these days (in the early days of DVD I'd always upgrade when a version with new extras came out), packaging means fuck all and, all the time they're not putting out UHDs, I don't feel the need to upgrade for better picture quality as it's not going to be the best possible. Also, there are space and cash reasons. Now, if they'd have gotten Tusk, I'd have picked it up (despite it being piss poor), but there's not enough here to entice me already having the old DVD/CD box set and current Blus of El Topo and Holy Mountain.

I've been quite disappointed by Arrow recently, maybe the well of available to licence cult stuff has dried up. The upcoming output of companies like Camera Obscura would point to that, or a general desire for these companies to become more mainstream.
            agent999
            Last edited by agent999; 12-23-2019, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Has Arrow ever done a 4K restoration? I know they've done a lot of 4K scans, but I can't recall if they've ever finished their work in anything but 2K?

Comment

Cool BFI article on 'where to start' with Jodorowsky.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/...dro-jodorowsky
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Arrow boxed set delayed until June 15th "due to unforeseen circumstances relating to content approvals."
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Dawn of the Discs posted on the Blu-ray.com forum that someone, not Arrow, will be releasing these in the US this year.

Comment

Interesting. I wonder if it'd be Severin since they've already got Santa Sangre? Different rights holders I think but there's the Jodorowsky connection.
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Pushed back to 8/24.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

ALEJANDRO JODOROWSKY'S PSYCHOMAGIC, A HEALING ART TO PREMIERE EXCLUSIVELY AUGUST 7 ON ALAMO ON DEMAND,
                          ALONG WITH A FIVE-FILM RETROSPECTIVE

ABKCO TO INCLUDE SURREALIST FILMMAKER'S LATEST WORK ALONG WITH 4K RESTORATIONS OF EL TOPO, THE HOLY MOUNTAIN AND FANDO Y LIS IN DELUXE BOX SET ON AUGUST 21

 NEW YORK, NY (June 11, 2020) - - ABKCO Films will premiere internationally acclaimed Chilean filmmaker Alejandro Jodorowsky's latest film  Psychomagic, A Healing Art in the US and Canada on August 7 through an exclusive arrangement with Alamo Drafthouse's new VOD platform,  Alamo On Demand. Preceding the premiere, there will be a retrospective beginning  August 1, also exclusively at Alamo On Demand, featuring 4K restorations of the surrealist filmmaker's cult classics  Fando y Lis, El Topo  and  The Holy Mountain, as well as the more recent  The Dance Of Reality  and  Endless Poetry.  A virtual master class in Psychomagic with Jodorowsky is planned for August 8.The home edition of  Psychomagic, A Healing Art  will be available as part of ABKCO Films'  Alejandro Jodorowsky: 4K Restoration Collection due out August 21. This  deluxe box set also includes The Maestro's films  Fando y Lis,  El Topo  and  The Holy Mountain  restored in 4K on Blu-ray, along with new bonus features and CD soundtracks of the latter two titles.  

Psychomagic, A Healing Art  is an intimate exploration of the visionary director's theory of trauma therapy. Jodorowsky's unique concept of healing uses performance art as a vehicle to counter deep, debilitating psychic suffering with literal "acts of confrontation" in real world applications. Drawing from a life-long study of philosophy, psychology, ethnology, and world religions, from Freud to Shamans, from Kabbalah to Gurdjieff and everything in between, Jodorowsky works directly with people in pain who are eager to face, resolve and transcend their personal dilemmas through the use of radical performative art therapy. The  film illuminates the Maestro's vision with themes evident since the start of his career, while contemporaneously breaking the wall between reality and performance. His healing concepts extend beyond the individual to the global, offering humanity a collective catharsis to a higher consciousness.  “The world is ill, we need to make therapy pictures,” said Jodorowsky of his work. “If art is not a medicine for society, it's a poison.”At the age of 91, Jodorowsky is as relevant as he's ever been. In addition to completing  Psychomagic, A Healing Art, he supervised the color correction of the 4K restorations of his essential films using the original 35mm elements, with stunning and vibrant results. El Topo is presented in 1:33 aspect ratio as it was shown in theaters in 1970. It is also available for the first time in 1.85:1 widescreen. Jodorowsky originally envisioned the film with this aspect ratio as an homage to Sergio Leone, and a half century later, that dream has finally been fulfilled.Official Unboxing of Alejandro Jodorowsky: 4K Restoration Collection www.abkco.lnk.to/JodorowskyDeluxe

Jodorowsky's relationship with ABKCO dates back to 1970,  follows a brazen gunslinger who abandons his young son in a quest to defeat four masters before being rescued by an underground society of  little people, paraplegic and disfigured individuals who are shunned by society. The film started the "midnight movie" phenomenon, playing the midnight slot at the Elgin Theater in New York for years  El Topo to the attention of Allen Klein, the company's late founder.  Described as a "psychedelic western", El Topo  when John Lennon and Yoko Ono brought.

El Topo  was followed with  The Holy Mountain,  which firmly established Jodorowsky as an auteur of Surrealist Cinema and sparked controversy at the 1973 Cannes Film Festival due to its sacrilegious imagery. The mythical, mystical masterpiece follows an elite group of thieves who embark on a spiritual journey to displace the immortal Gods who secretly rule the universe. Jodorowsky's first feature,  Fando y Lis, is a brutal and scathing examination of destructive co-dependence between two lovers conflicted by anguish and the demands they put on one another. Its grotesque and salacious imagery caused a riot at the 1967 premiere in Acapulco (MX), which he narrowly escaped after having his life threatened. Weeks later,  The Holy Mountain  was banned in Mexico. 

Alejandro Jodorowsky 4K Restoration Collection  also contains the 1957 short film  Le Cravate, a mime adaptation of a Thomas Mann story about a Parisian urchin who makes her living selling human heads. Chock full of extras, the box set features a book with photos and essays as well as newly filmed interviews with Jodorowsky and his long time personal assistant Pablo Leder. Jodorowsky's son Brontis, who makes his acting debut as the young boy in  El Topo, is also interviewed. In addition to the 4K Restorations, are new introductions by Columbia University professor Richard Peí±a, a  mini-documentary  A to Z of The Holy Mountain  narrated by Jodorowsky biographer Ben Cobb, and CD soundtracks for  El Topo  and  The Holy Mountain. 

The  Alejandro Jodorowsky: 4K Restoration Collection  was restored by ABKCO Films and Arrow Films and will be available worldwide, ABKCO is working closely with the aforementioned Arrow Films, who are doubling as the UK distributor Other international distributors for the box set are Nour Films in France, UpLink in Japan, Bildstoerung in Germany, NonStop Entertainment AB in Scandinavia and Minerva Pictures in Italy.

Alejandro Jodorowsky: 4K Restoration Collection

Feature Films
                          Fando Y Lis (1967)
                          El Topo (1970)
                          The Holy Mountain (1973)

Psychomagic, A Healing Art (2019)

Short Film
                          Le Cravate (1957)

Soundtracks
                          El Topo
                          The Holy Mountain

Extras
                          A to Z of The Holy Mountain - Ben Cobb
                          2019 interview with Alejandro Jodorowsky
                          Newly filmed interview with Brontis Jodorowsky (El Topo)
                          Newly filmed interview with Pablo Leder, personal assistant to Alejandro Jodorowsky (El Topo and The Holy Mountain)
                          New introductions by Columbia University film professor Richard Peí±a

Key Details
                          New 4K restorations on Blu-ray from original 35mm elements
                          New color corrections supervised by Alejandro Jodorowsky
                          El Topo first time ever
                          director approved wide screen (1.85:1)
                          Director commentary tracks
                          English, French and Spanish subtitles
                          Book with photos and essays

ABOUT ABKCO Music & Records, Inc., is one of the world's leading independent entertainment companies. It is home to iconic music catalogues that include compositions and recordings by Sam Cooke, The Rolling Stones, Bobby Womack, Eric Burdon, The Animals, Herman's Hermits, Marianne Faithfull, The Kinks, Marianne Faithfull as well as the Cameo Parkway masters by such artists as Chubby Checker, Bobby Rydell, Clint Eastwood, The Dovells, ? &The Mysterians, The Orlons, Dee Dee Sharp, Charlie Gracie, Bob Seger, and The Tymes. Releases on ABKCO's SAR Records include albums by L.C. Cooke, The Soul Stirrers, Billy Preston, Johnnie Taylor, The Valentinos and more. ABKCO is active on many fronts, including the release of critically lauded soundtracks, compilations, reissues from its catalog, film, commercial placement of its master recordings and music publishing properties in all media. One Night in Miami…, ABKCO's latest theatrical production, received a nomination for the 2017 Olivier Award for Best New Play and is being adapted as a Major Motion Picture directed by Oscar winner Regina King. ABKCO's latest TV production is The Durrells in Corfu, based on Gerald Durrell's book The Corfu Trilology.

Abkco Website
                          Abkco Films YouTube
                          Abkco Facebook
                          Abkco Twitter
                          Abkco Instagram

ABOUT Alamo Drafthouse Cinema was founded in 1997 as a single-screen mom and pop repertory theater in Austin, TX. Twenty-three years later, with 41 locations and counting, Alamo Drafthouse has been called "the best theater in America" by Entertainment Weekly and "the best theater in the world" by Wired. Alamo Drafthouse has built a reputation as a movie lover's oasis not only by combining food and drink service with the movie-going experience, but also introducing unique programming and high-profile, star-studded special events. Alamo Drafthouse created Fantastic Fest, a world-renowned film festival dubbed "The Geek Telluride" by Variety. Fantastic Fest showcases eight days of genre cinema from independents, international filmmakers and major Hollywood studios. Alamo Drafthouse's collectible art gallery, Mondo, offers breathtaking, original products featuring designs from world-famous artists based on licenses for popular TV and Movie properties including Star Wars, Star Trek & Universal Monsters. Alamo Drafthouse continues to expand its brand in new and exciting ways, including the American Genre Film Archive, a nonprofit film archive dedicated to preserving, restoring and sharing film.

Alamo Drafthouse Facebook
                          Alamo Drafthouse Twitter
                          Alamo Drafthouse YouTube
                          Alamo Drafthouse Instagram
                          Drafthouse On Demand
                          Alamo Drafthouse Website

ABOUT UpLink Co. was founded by ASAI Takashi in 1987. It started out as a film distribution company, distributing and co-producing films of the English director, Derek Jarman. UPLINK has been focusing on art and independent films and documentaries mainly for its distribution. Recent titles are including, “Faces Places” by Agnes Varda & JR, “Dancer” by Steven Cantor, “David Lynch: The Art Life” by Jon Nguyen, “Laurence Anyways” by Xavier Dolan, etc. And some upcoming titles including “Margiela: In His Own Words” directed by Reiner Holzemer, “Psychomagic” by Alejandro Jodorowsky, “The Cordillera of Dreams” by Patricio Guzman.

UpLink Website
                          UpLink English Information
                          UpLink Contact Info
                          UpLink Facebook
                          UpLink Twitter
                          UpLink Instagram

ABOUT Nour Films is a French production and distribution company based in Paris and founded in 2008 by Patrick Sibourd. Its aim is to support independent projects and films that offer a unique insight and relevant viewpoint on the world working hand in hand with producers and directors. The company distributes the films of both international rising talents awarded in major festivals like Cannes or Berlin, and world renowned directors such as Alejandro Jodorowsky, Rolf de Heer, Fernando Solanas and Werner Herzog.

Nour Films Website
                          Nour Films Contact Info
                          Nour Films Facebook
                          Nour Films Twitter

ABOUT BILDSTí–RUNG is an independent distribution company in Germany that focuses on overlooked gems, off-beat films and cult cinema from all over the world. Tune in to the drop outs!

BILDSTí–RUNG Website
                          BILDSTí–RUNG Contact Info
                          BILDSTí–RUNG Facebook
                          BILDSTí–RUNG Twitter
                          BILDSTí–RUNG Instagram

ABOUT NonStop Entertainment is a leading Nordic distributor of films for an upmarket and discerning audience with a special focus on award winning cinema, classics and documentaries. Founded in 1998 it is currently run out of Stockholm and has an a yearly slate of 40-50 titles. Recent titles include The Farewell, Color out of Space, The Father, Shirley, Spaceship Earth, The Painter and the Thief and Wendy. It also is co-owns and runs the award winning Bio & Bistro Capitol.

NonStop Entertainment Website
                          NonStop Entertainment Facebook
                          NonStop Entertainment Twitter
                          NonStop Entertainment Instagram

ABOUT Minerva Pictures is an independent production company and an international sales agency based in Rome. The mission of the sales division is to distribute high quality films. Besides new content, Minerva Pictures represents also a library of almost 2000 titles, of which over 700 hundred are available worldwide. Our catalogue includes some of the masterpieces of the Italian cinema and the cults (horrors, giallos, spaghetti westerns) that defined an era.

Minerva Pictures Website
                          Minerva Pictures Facebook
                          Minerva Pictures YouTube
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I could see this on my shelf next to the Al Adamson set.
                            https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

The first episode of a Jodorowsky-centric podcast called 'JodoWOWsky' will be launching this coming Monday.

You'll be able to grab it here if you're interested.

https://www.cinemasmorgasbord.com/
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

They couldn't come up with a better name?

Comment

Working...
                                X