Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alejandro Jodorowsky Arrow Box Set

https://www.facebook.com/cinemaarcan...type=3&theater

“More than spectacle. An experience for all of your life.” Exciting news for fans of cult cinema -- Arrow Video are slated to issue a remastered collection of several essential works from cinematic mystic Alejandro Jodorowsky! According to his son Brontis Jodorowsky, the box set will contain new 4K restorations of the surreal shocker FANDO & LIS (1968), his midnight movie trailblazer EL TOPO (1970) and the allegorical masterpiece THE HOLY MOUNTAIN (1973). The actor also states he contributed a long interview to join an expected bounty of extras, and, “lots of memories came back!” Watch this space for more details as they become available!
    LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

They've got new announcements coming later today, so this, I assume, will be one of them.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

OK, so no announcement today, which means this is May at the earliest.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

PC culture, man.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Jesus christ, because of some bs he said the '70s? They clearly can't handle provacative adult art. I bet they think of themselves as having an open mind. Funny, in the '70s liberals faught hard for freedom of speech. Now they have completely aligned themselves with pearl clutching conservatives. These people need to grow up.
          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

As a non-native English speaker, Jodorowsky has a tendency to be a little bit 'loose' with his application of the English word 'rape'.

Paul L
            Scholar of Sleaze
            Last edited by Paul L; 01-30-2019, 04:26 AM.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I think that anyone who knows his work would have come across his rape claim pretty early on. These people knew, they've just bowed to pressure from these pricks that can't keep their condescending fucking mouths shut on 'behalf' of the opressed masses. Anyone can see his comments were just macho seventies bullshit, not to be taken seriously and that this would never be allowed to happen on a film set (although these same people would assert that snuff films exist). I'm sick of these professional shit-stirrers, if this is the future of mankind we might as well go extinct now.
              I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                I think that anyone who knows his work would have come across his rape claim pretty early on. These people knew, they've just bowed to pressure from these pricks that can't keep their condescending fucking mouths shut on 'behalf' of the opressed masses. Anyone can see his comments were just macho seventies bullshit, not to be taken seriously
                Not even that. There are several ways the remark he made about EL TOPO could be interpreted:
                a) as a bit of macho posturing/provocative language (as you suggested, agent999);
                b) as the kind of hyperbolic assertion actors tend to use to assert authenticity in their performance (eg, in a murder scene, 'I *really* killed him' - as in, 'I went the whole hog in my performance to make it look authentic');
                c) as a misappropriation of the word 'rape', which may be down to (i) Jodorowsky's native tongue not being English or may be down to (ii) changing uses of the word 'rape' (eg, even as a young man, years after Jodorowsky made that comment, I remember people using the word 'rape' synonymously with aggressive but consensual sex - not a technically accurate use of the word but certainly one that was in fairly common usage);
                d) as an admission of a criminal act.

I know which of these I think is the least likely. The use of the word 'rape' does not mean that penetration took place between Jodorowsky and Lorenzio (in fact, I'd say there's almost no evidence in the film to suggest this at all) or that even if it did, it was non-consensual and not part of the performance. We live in a ridiculous age in which a highly ambiguous assertion can be taken as definite proof of an admission of guilt to something that may never have taken place, simply because language has become so politicised. It's positively Orwellian.
                Paul L
                Scholar of Sleaze
                Last edited by Paul L; 01-30-2019, 02:24 PM.
                'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Not what I was expecting this thread to be about......

But on topic: I'll most likely get this when it is released.

And further off topic: Jodorowsky is from Tocopilla, Chile, a town which practically entirely emigrated to Sweden later on, during the Pinochet regime. I know at least 10 people from there. None of them have ever heard of Jodorowsky when I have asked though.
                  "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	jodo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	357166
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I hope they release them individually when the box set sells out rather than just re-issuing the set minus limited edition tat. I don't want to pay for the box just to get Fando y Lis. There would have to be a really good reason for me to buy the other two again.
                      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

El Topo, Fanda Y Lis and Holy Mountain are getting a theatrical run from new 4k restorations starting in January via Arrow.

https://www.arrowfilms.com/news/the-...m-jan-10-2020/
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Coming March 30th, UK release only.

Product Description:

Alejandro Jodorowsky is one of world cinema s most fabled iconoclasts. Often venerated as the ultimate cult film director, the Chilean artist shot to prominence as a 1970s counter-cultural icon thanks to the masterful movies presented on this collection: Fando y Lis, El Topo and The Holy Mountain. These extraordinary films, presented here alongside his stunning new film Psychomagic, bedazzled audiences with their unique aesthetic, contrasting violence and beauty; the sublime and the sacrilegious; the mystical and the macabre...

Jodorowsky's first feature, Fando y Lis, tells of young Fando and his paraplegic sweetheart Lis s journey through a series of surreal scenarios to find the enchanted city of Tar. An acid-western packed with vivid imagery, El Topo stars Jodorowsky as a master-gunfighter who duels with four sharp-shooting adversaries on his journey across a desert dreamscape. In The Holy Mountain, Jodorowsky plays The Alchemist, a guru who guides a troupe of pilgrims on a quest to ascend the Holy Mountain in search of spiritual enlightenment. Jodorowsky s new cinematic experience, Psychomagic, A Healing Art, explores the directors radical therapeutic work.

Influential, controversial and endlessly fascinating, Jodorowsky s surreal masterpieces are presented here in stunning new 4K restorations, accompanied with a wealth of illuminating extras, and new writing.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

New 4K restorations of Fando y Lis, El Topo and The Holy Mountain approved by Alejandro Jodorowsky
                          Blu-ray premiere of Jodorowsky s new film Psychomagic
                          High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations
                          Original 1.0 mono audio and optional 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio
                          Newly translated English, Spanish and French subtitles
                          Six collector s postcards
                          Double-sided fold-out poster
                          Limited edition 80-page hardbound book featuring new writing on the films by Virginie Sélavy, Michael Atkinson, Bilge Ebiri, Mark Pilkington and archival articles
                          Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly designed artwork by Matt Griffin

FANDO Y LIS

Audio commentary by Alejandro Jodorowsky
                          Jodorowsky Remembers Fando y Lis, new interview
                          Newly filmed introduction with Richard Peí±a, Professor of Film Studies at Columbia University
                          La Cravate, Jodorowsky s compellingly surreal 1957 adaptation of Thomas Mann s The Transposed Heads
                          La Constellation Jodorowsky, Louis Mouchet s feature-length documentary featuring interviews with Jean Mobieus Giraud and Peter Gabriel

EL TOPO

Film presentation in both 1.85:1 and 1.33:1 original theatrical aspect ratios for the first time
                          Jodorowsky Remembers El Topo, new interview
                          New introduction with Richard Peí±a
                          A Conversation with The Son of El Topo, a newly filmed, extensive interview with Brontis Jodorowsky
                          The Father of Midnight Movies, an archival interview filmed in 2007
                          El Topo Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD

THE HOLY MOUNTAIN

Jodorowsky Remembers The Holy Mountain, new interview
                          New introduction with Richard Peí±a
                          Pablo Leder: Jodorowsky s Right Hand Man, Jodorowsky s personal assistant remembers his time spent with the director
                          The A to Z of The Holy Mountain, a new video essay by writer Ben Cobb
                          Deleted scenes with director s commentary
                          The Tarot, a short film in which Jodorowsky explains the secrets of the cards
                          The Holy Mountain Original Motion Picture Soundtrack CD

PSYCHOMAGIC, A HEALING ART

Blu-ray premiere of Jodorowsky's new film
                          Original Trailer

Click image for larger version

Name:	EMPRn0KWoAcVWse.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	357228
                          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I don't recall how graphic any of the animal violence is in EL TOPO, but will it be uncut in the UK?

Comment

Working...
                            X