No announcement yet.

Next of Kin (Aussie horror)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can still preorder this from Umbrella directly though.

https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/comin...s-blu-ray.html
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I really preferred the "not final art" that has more of an exploitation vibe. Hopefully it ends up being reversible...

This is still available to order on Amazon, but it's now listed as Region B/2.

Comment

I like it better too. A lot of Umbrella's stuff is reversible, so yeah. Agreed that this is a much better option.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Pulled from DeepDiscount's site, too (although a DVD listing is now oddly in its place). Whoever the US distributor is probably won't have the same amount of extras as the AU release.

Comment

It could be MVD. They handled US distribution for the Umbrella release of Attack Force Z and I think the disc was identical to its Australian counterpart (though I don't have it so I can't 100% confirm).
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So it would seem that Severin are the ones with the US release lined up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dn4tuCMXoAkK1OH.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	354933
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Is that a scene from Next of Kin? I want to see it but I don't need to pre-order a 4-disc set of it as I haven't seen it so, hopefully, that is another film (that I will want).

Comment

That's definitely a scene from Next of Kin, but I don't think it's part of the 4-disc set they're teasing.

Comment

As far as the film itself goes, I'm very fond of it though it's far from perfect. It started life as a New Zealand production (both director Tony Williams and writer Michael Heath are kiwis) but failed to secure any funding, so Williams began shopping it around to Australian producers. All the while the script underwent multiple rewrites - it began as a horror-comedy(!) before morphing into the odd giallo/thriller/slasher it eventually became. The fact that elements of the plot remain from the very first version of the script accounts for the disconnected nature of the story, it lurches in odd directions and the mystery never coheres in a satisfying way.

What really holds it together is the cinematography. Tony Williams began his career as a DoP (he shot the only two feature films made in New Zealand in the '60s) and he creates some gorgeous imagery, including some lovely steadicam work. On top of that, there's the score by Klaus Schulze and an engaging performance by lead actress Jacki Kerin.

It's not one of the all-time greats, but I really like it and think it deserves a wider audience. I did an entire podcast episode about it a couple of years ago if anyone's interested, though it's packed with spoilers.

Comment

Hmmm....

So Severin has this slated for the US, with AGFA booking theatrical.

https://www.americangenrefilm.com/re...t-of-kin-1982/

But if you go here, there's a trailer for the movie that's been uploaded by Screenbound in the UK.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

So yeah, when someone asked Severin on twitter this morning if they were reissuing this they replied with a winky face, so it's happening.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

In case anyone was interested, this is up for pre-order on Amazon UK from a company called Second Sight Films:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Next-Kin-Bl...te%3A182247031

Release date listed is 11 Feb 2019.
                          VHS will never die!

Comment

2/26/19 as per Diabolik.

Name:	NOK_Blu_Cover.jpg
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	355441

It's been hailed as “skin-crawlingly real” (Horror News), “a jaw-dropping achievement” (Moon In The Gutter) and “a giallo that rivals Argento's DEEP RED” (Scary Minds), yet has remained largely unseen in America. Now experience “one of the greatest horror movies of the 20 th Century” (Goomba Stomp) for the first time ever…and like never before: When a young woman inherits a creaky retirement home, she'll find herself in a waking nightmare of murder, madness and a legacy of evil that may be inescapable. Jackie Kerin, John Jarratt (WOLF CREEK) and Alex Scott (ROMPER STOMPER) star in this “stylish and creepy must-see” (The Digital Fix) - featuring an intense synth score by Klaus Schulze of Tangerine Dream - now transferred from original Australian vault elements and packed with all-new Special Features.

Widescreen 1.77:1
                            DTS 5.1 Surround

Commentary with Director Tony Williams and Producer Tim White
                            Commentary with Mark Hartley & Cast Members Jackie Kerin, John Jarrett & Robert Ratti
                            House Of Psychotic Women Intro By Kier-La Janisse for Morbido TV
                            Extended Interviews from Not Quite Hollywood
                            Return to Monteclare: Location Revisit, 2018
                            Deleted Scenes
                            Before the Night is Out: Ballroom Footage, 1979
                            Original Theatrical Trailer
                            UK VHS Trailer
                            German Theatrical Trailer
                            Alternate German Opening
                            Image Gallery
                            Tony Williams Short Films”
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Severin trailer.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And a better look at Severin's cover art and slip.

Name:	NextofKinBlu.jpg
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	355445

Name:	NextofKinBlu2.jpg
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	355446

Name:	NextofKinSlip.jpg