The Coffin Joe Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Coffin Joe Thread

I went through a minor obsession with Coffin Joe about 9-10 years ago where I tried to track down everything I could that he'd been involved with. There's still quite a few I haven't seen as I won't bother with them if I can't get subs for them, but at this point it's safe to say I'm pretty familiar with his work. I loved it when I first delved in, it was so different than anything else I'd seen and so harsh considering where it came from and when it was made.

After watching Embodiment of Evil last night I think the Coffin Joe bug might have bit me again. I seem to remember Synapse saying they were going to release some more of his stuff down the road and I'd love to see the early stuff get remastered and hit Blu-ray (wishful thinking?).

Anyone else fascinated by his stuff? I wanna re-read the Mondo Macabro chapter that's about his work later today, just to sift through for inspiration.

RAD.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I got the Coffin Joe issue of Monster! International magazine right around the time that Something Weird started to release his movies. I can't remember the author's name on that feature but he was the same guy who handled the translations for SWV and his knowledge of Marins and his films is staggering. Luckily for me there was a record shop that rented the Coffin Joe tapes so I was able to see the majority of those that were out at the time.

The first one my friends and I rented was HALLUCINATIONS OF A DERANGED MIND - not exactly the best jumping on point but it gave us a good idea of what we were in for. The shots of bread dough being pulled apart and the ass-faces had us rolling. Next we did a double feature of AT MIDNIGHT I'LL TAKE YOUR SOUL and THE STRANGE WORLD OF COFFIN JOE - fuck, those were great movies. MIDNIGHT especially.

I have to admit that after a few years I got burnt out on Zé do Caixí£o but I still throw in some of the DVDs every now and then. I also really enjoy Ivan Cardosa's Marins documentary, THE UNIVERSE OF MOJICA MARINS.
    Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

This scene from EXORCISMO NEGRO is dope...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riIsyS8paEI

Comment

Yes it is. I never had the option of renting his stuff. I'm not sure how I got into him in the first place - I probably read something in a magazine or maybe it was the MM book. My first exposure to the movies was the Fantoma 3 disc set, which lead to the purchase of the Brazillian set, which lead to tracking down a bunch of other shit via grey market releases and SWV tapes.

Either way, reevaluating it with slightly more jaded eyes than I had before, I think his work still holds up. The politics behind what he was doing in the late 60s and 70s is, to me at least, just as interesting as the gore and sex and exploitative side of his work.

Spiders are still scary though.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I got into him thanks to those Something Weird releases. I didn't catch Embodiment of Evil yet, tho' I heard it's not too shabby?
          It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

I liked it a lot.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Wait, so Synapse might release At Midnight and This Night on blu?

Comment

I seem to remember Don mentioning it somewhere. Possibly AVM. I can't find it though, so it might have been a hallucination of my deranged mind.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  Either way, reevaluating it with slightly more jaded eyes than I had before, I think his work still holds up. The politics behind what he was doing in the late 60s and 70s is, to me at least, just as interesting as the gore and sex and exploitative side of his work.

Spiders are still scary though.
                  Mixing crack-pot existential philosophy and spookshow gimmicks is an instant winner in my book.

Comment

I seem to remember Don mentioning it somewhere. Possibly AVM. I can't find it though, so it might have been a hallucination of my deranged mind.
                    He told us that in the same conversation in which he said he'd give me 2 million dollars to buy the rights to Russ Meyer's movies.

Comment

I liked it a lot.
                      Guess I should look at the main page more often...

Comment

It seems that The Hives agree with me, somehow, too:

Click image for larger version

Name:	192218_10150137600148199_5572393198_6668478_6571249_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	338034

Comment

Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
                          He told us that in the same conversation in which he said he'd give me 2 million dollars to buy the rights to Russ Meyer's movies.
                          Is that what those manipulative parasites are asking?

Comment

Originally posted by John Gargo View Post
                            Wait, so Synapse might release At Midnight and This Night on blu?
                            That would be great.

I missed out on the Brazilian box set which I really regret now. Picked up the Anchor Bay UK box which, although a mixed bag, has some stuff not readily available elsewhere.

Comment

I have some of the Zilla box, I believe. Maybe all of 'em. How many were there?

Comment

Working...
                              X