Chopper [2000]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chopper [2000]

I've been quoting the fuck outta this film since the first time I saw it nearly 17 years ago. One of those comfort films that suits me no matter what mood I'm in, and is quite the suitable pick for when getting strange in the evening. So where's the fuggin' Blu-ray?

This was a brilliant movie. I need it in my collection!

Comment

Eric Bana was simply amazing in this movie.
      I heard he was a comedian in Australia before this movie...that would have been a bit more shocking for the audiencw there ...

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
        I heard he was a comedian in Australia before this movie...that would have been a bit more shocking for the audiencw there ...
        He also put on 50 or so extra pounds for the part. Quite the difference from what people were used to!

Comment

Darcy Parker, and sukebanboy- you're both aces in my book! :up:

Anyways, this definitely isn't as well known as it should be, and it's even been on cable quite a few times throughout the years! Another product of Australia- the television show, Danger 5, is still M.I.A. on the BD format too. Wish someone would get crack-a-lackin' on this like yesterday.

Comment

Top notch film. Every time I watch it I get dissapointed in Eric Banas career afterwards.
            "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Madman in Australia are giving this a 20th Anniversary Blu-ray edition.

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/...versary-bluray
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

If this turns out well, i'm gonna need this. I don't think i have any Madman releases.

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post

He was well known though for being in a sketch comedy show called Full Frontal playing Poida, a very familiar type of Aussie bogan. This film would be quite a diferent experience for non Aussie audiences at the time. Apart from the Banna transformation Chopper himself was a very well known thug/folk hero. When there was an issue of the day he'd generally be roped in by one of the networks to give his Man On The Streets thoughts on it. Some of the events in the film were already well known stories. I think Chopper himself might have pick Bana as the best man to play him. It's a dead on impersonation anyway.

"Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                    He was well known though for being in a sketch comedy show called Full Frontal playing Poida, a very familiar type of Aussie bogan. This film would be quite a diferent experience for non Aussie audiences at the time. Apart from the Banna transformation Chopper himself was a very well known thug/folk hero. When there was an issue of the day he'd generally be roped in by one of the networks to give his Man On The Streets thoughts on it. Some of the events in the film were already well known stories. I think Chopper himself might have pick Bana as the best man to play him. It's a dead on impersonation anyway.

Great movie, but it scares the fuck out of me that such a scumbag is considered a folk hero by some! The extras on the UK DVD were cut because the real Chopper demonstrated an interesting use for a pair of pliers. I like to think he was called Chopper because he's a giant cock.
                    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                      Great movie, but it scares the fuck out of me that such a scumbag is considered a folk hero by some!
                      He's what we call a larrikin. The larrikin male is kind of considered an important part of the national culture. Plus hes kind of funny, moderately eloquent and he mostly chops up criminal types so that's mostly okay. So yeah, he was popular for a while there. Released his own wine. Had a rap album. Did comedy tours. Even had a children's book. Hooky The Cripple I think it was called. A lot of people weren't happy about that last one but I think the book sold fine.
                      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                        Even had a children's book. Hooky The Cripple I think it was called. A lot of people weren't happy about that last one but I think the book sold fine.
                        I had no idea. How odd.

This came up when I googled it...

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

A bluray? That's certainly good news, I've been wanting one for a long time. I've got the ex-rental vhs and the dvd already. :gory:
                          2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

Looks like a special edition German ?UHD/Blu-ray release is in the works.

https://bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-news/...ltra_hd_bluray
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by King-Wasp View Post
                              I've been quoting the fuck outta this film since the first time I saw it nearly 17 years ago. One of those comfort films that suits me no matter what mood I'm in, and is quite the suitable pick for when getting strange in the evening. So where's the fuggin' Blu-ray?

Have you watched any of the interviews with the real Chopper? I believe they're on YT. He's quite the character.

Comment

Working...
                              X