Spider Baby On Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider Baby On Blu-ray

Arrow's US distributor jumped the gun an posted the specs for their June releases and this is one of them:
    Spider Baby Blu Ray/DVD
    The maddest story ever told
    List Price: $39.95

The credits dub this "the maddest story ever told", a promise that's well on the way to being fulfilled in the opening scene alone, when Virginia traps and kills a hapless deliveryman in her makeshift web. She's one of three siblings who suffer from a unique genetic disorder that causes them to regress back to childhood, while retaining the physical strength and sexual maturity of adults. Lon Chaney Jr gave one of his most memorable late performances as Bruno, their guardian and protector, who has managed to cover up their crimes until two distant relatives lay claim to their house. When they insist on moving in, Bruno has to cross his fingers and hope that the 'children' behave towards their new guests... This was the first solo feature by Jack Hill, whom Quentin Tarantino dubbed "the Howard Hawks of exploitation filmmaking", and it remains one of his wildest and weirdest.

Bonus Materials
    High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the main feature, available in the UK for the first time
    Original 2.0 Mono Audio (Uncompressed PCM on the Blu-ray)
    High Definition transfer of the feature supervised and approved by director Jack Hill
    English SDH subtitles for deaf and hearing impaired
    Audio commentary featuring Jack Hill and star Sid Haig
    Panel discussion from The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences FILM-TO-FILM Festival, recorded September 2012, featuring Jack Hill and stars Quinn K. Redeker and Beverly Washburn
    The Hatching of Spider Baby - Interviews with Jack Hill, Sid Haig, star Mary Mitchel, fan Joe Dante and more on the making of the film
    Spider Stravinsky: The Cinema Sounds of Ronald Stein - The composer of í¢â‚¬ËœThe Terrorí¢â‚¬â„¢ and í¢â‚¬ËœAttack of the 50 Foot Womaní¢â‚¬â„¢ among others is remembered by Harlene Stein, Jack Hill, American Cinemathequeí¢â‚¬â„¢s Chris D. and others
    The Merrye House Revisited - Jack Hill revisits the original house that was used as the main location in the film
    Alternate opening title sequence
    Extended scene
    Original Trailer
    Gallery of behind-the-scenes images
    The Host (1960) í¢â‚¬â€œ Jack Hillí¢â‚¬â„¢s early short film featuring Sid Haig in his first starring role [30 mins]
    Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
    Collectorí¢â‚¬â„¢s booklet featuring writing on the film by artist and writer Stephen R. Bissette, and an extensive article re-printed from FilmFax: The Magazine of Unusual Film and Television featuring interviews with the cast and crew, illustrated with origi

Sales Points
    Director-approved release
    New special features and artwork
    Stars Sid Haig (HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES) and Lon Chaney Jr. (THE MUMMY)
    Influence on horror house TV shows THE ADDAMS FAMILY and THE MUNSTERS
    Debut film by Jack Hill (Coffy, Foxy Brown)
    North American Blu-ray premiere
    Director support for PR
    Format: BLU-RAY
    SKU: MVD7366BR
    UPC: 760137736691
    Street Date: 06/09/15
    PreBook Date: 05/05/15
    Label: Arrow Video »
    Genre: Horror
    Run Time: 84 mins
    Number of Discs: 2
    Audio: STEREO
    Year of Production: 1967
    Director: Jack Hill
    Actors: Lon Chaney Jr., Carol Ohmart, Quinn K. Redeker, Sid Haig
    Box Lot: 30
    Territory: US
    Language: English
    Derrick King
    Waterfall Puncher
    Last edited by Derrick King; 02-14-2015, 03:35 PM.

Pre-order is up at Diabolik now.

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/...-Combo%29.html

They've officially announced this on twitter and other social media outlets as of this morning.

Looking forward to seeing this in HD.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

This is a bit for bit port of their UK release, which is freaking excellent & one of my favorite Arrow titles.
      A must have for fans, the film looks wonderful & extras are bountiful.
      https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Weird. I always thought the Spider Baby blu was one of their titles that was already Region Free like Maniac Cop and their Fulci Blus.
        It's all in the reflexes.

Comment

Wow, this looks like a must-have.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Bates-Hardy View Post
            Weird. I always thought the Spider Baby blu was one of their titles that was already Region Free like Maniac Cop and their Fulci Blus.
            I just checked my SPIDER BABY and it says Region B on the disc and it will not load in my regular BD player. I don't know much about it but some discs will load in Panasonic players using some 'trick', maybe SB is one of those?
            https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

The UK Blu-ray is very cheap right now at Amazon UK, so I went ahead and ordered that since I'm region free. :) Spider Baby is a gem!

Comment

Subkultur have this coming out soon - wacky FB translation below:

In the summer krabbelts in the drive-in classics!

Jack Hills Spider baby is published 50 years after its premiere for the first time in German language!

---------------------

Virginia, Elizabeth and Ralph are the youngest offspring of merr yes and life together with your chauffeur Bruno in the neglected property of the family.
                You're suffering from a rare genetic disorder which is complicating to dehumanized savagery and cannibalism.
                One day quit distant relatives visiting and Bruno sets heaven and hell in moving to the effects of the disease before the guests
                On the train. Unaware of the threat posed by the children, the visitors nest and lay claim to the house of the family.
                Already on the first night the children succumb to their constraints and hot the guests on their very special kind of welcome...

Technical Details:
                Image Vol: 1080 P / 23.976 FPS / AVC / 1.66:1
                Picture DVD Anamorph: 1.66:1
                Your BD: DTS-HD my mono
                Sound DVD: German & English Dolby Digital Mono
                Subtitles: German & English
                Duration: 84 / 80 minutes

Limited to 1000 pieces
                BD / DVD combo
                Keep Case in thick dic slipcase

Extras:
                - Audio Commentary by Jack Hill and Sid Haig
                - Making of: The Hatching of Spider Baby
                - Spider Stravinsky: the cinema sounds of Ronald Stone
                - a reunion with the merrye house
                - Alternative Opening sequence
                - advanced scene
                - Picture Gallery
                - trailer
                - Booklet

Click image for larger version

Name:	18814573_1745366752146237_2611684336073325973_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	352447
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I already have the Arrow BD and I think two different DVD releases, but I guess I will buy that nevertheless, since I have all 7 of Subkultur's "Drive-in Classics" so far. Especially their edition of Roger Corman's THE INTRUDER (it's the No. 7) is highly recommended!

Comment

If you are looking for something truly offbeat for Halloween weekend, this Jack Hill oddity may fit the bill. It's a creepy ghoulish tale of a depraved family run by Lon Chaney Jr. who's brood includes sinister sisters (Beverly Washburn and Jill Banner) and Ralph (Sid Haig, who had a resurgence with Rob Zombie's DEVIL'S REJECTS and HOUSE OF 1,000 CORPES).

It's a cult item through and through, but for those willing to go with it there are scary delights, along with dark black humor. B Movie veteran Carol Ohmart (HOUSE ON HAUNTED HILL) is also in the cast, even if Washburn and Banner steal the show as a dangerous duo long before Hill's SWITCHBLADE SISTERS.

SPIDER BABY is widely available to stream for free or rental.

Comment

Working...
                    X