X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guillermo Del Toro's Crimson Peak

I am intrigued...

Interesting Nick Cave cover there.

This'll no doubt overdo it with CGI, but I have faith in Del Toro.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Oh and for those who like such things, here's the official website:

http://crimsonpeak.legendary.com/
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Can't be worse than Pacific Rim.

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Jordan View Post
        Can't be worse than Pacific Rim.
        That's very almost true.. Is it possible for a film look too good? Its just so polished and perfect looking that I can't imagine being frightened by anything that happens in it. That kind of gloss is just constantly calling attention to the fact that this is all just a movie.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Hopefully it's a lot more Pan's Labyrinth than Pacific Rim.

Comment

Full trailer!

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

New posted debuting just in time for Comic Con.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5399620150707111816.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	348526
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Name:	tumblr_nvhwm7M6v61thr7ppo2_500.jpg
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	349202

If signed novelizations are your thing, you can get one for Crimson Peak here:

http://anotheruniverse.co/products/c...mbered-edition

Crimson Peak - The Official Movie Novelization Limited Edition NUMBERED EDITION Signed by GUILLERMO DEL TORO
                  By Titan Books

$75.00

Crimson Peak - The Official Movie Novelization Limited Edition NUMBERED EDITION

THE OFFICIAL LIMITED EDITION NOVELIZATION OF CRIMSON PEAK - SIGNED BY GUILLERMO DEL TORO
                  This is the NUMBERED Collectors edition of the Novelisation
                  Signed by Guillermo del Toro (Tip-in sheet)
                  The paper edges of this gorgeous edition is screen printed with a moth motif
                  Presented with black & white production sketches throughout
                  Presented in a uniquely designed slipcase - exclusive to the numbered edition
                  Slipcase designed with soft-touch lamination, debossing and gold foil.
                  This edition is hardcover - the trade edition is mass-market paperback
                  Limited to 500 copies worldwide

BOOK:
                  Dimensions - 234 x 153 mm portrait, 344pp
                  Paper stock & weight - 115gsm Munken Cream, b&w illustrations throughout
                  Special finishes - 4/4 printed endpapers, screenprinted page edges
                  Binding - threadsewn hardback
                  Dustjacket - green cloth with silver and gold foil
                  Slipcase specification - printed 4/0 on 130gsm gloss art with soft-touch lamination, debossing and gold foil
                  Signed - tipped in, signed by Guillermo del Toro
                  Limited to - 500 copies

SYNOPSIS

In the aftermath of a family tragedy, an aspiring author is torn between love for her childhood friend and the temptation of a mysterious outsider. Trying to escape the ghosts of her past, she is swept away to a house that breathes, bleeds...and remembers.

This is the official novelisation of the film approved by Guillermo del Toro and Legendary Pictures.

BIBLIOGRAPHIC DETAILS
                  Crimson Peak - The Official Movie Novelization Limited Edition
                  By Nancy Holder
                  ISBN: 9781785650246
                  Format: Hardcover with Traycase
                  Specs: 234 x 153 mm portrait
                  Pages: 344pp
                  Price US: $75.00
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Misleadingly sold as a Ghost story, it's really a Gothic romance thriller, which would be fine if it actually thrilled or the love story worked: Neither, sadly is the case. Director Del Toro fills the screen with gorgeous sets, costumes and details (sometimes too obviously CGI), but forgets that the heart of such a story is the tale it tells. Without giving away spoilers, let's just say it's a whole lot of thunder about very little. And, oddly, for a movie who's last speech begins with "Ghosts are real", the actual ghost story has preciously little bearing on the outcome.

So, why is Del Toro taken seriously as a Director? Sure, he's made a couple of decent films, but, mainly his rep rests largely with his supposed 'classic' PAN'S LABYRINTH. PAN'S is a good movie, but, like CRIMSON PEAK, it's mainly all surface details. The grimly gripping childhood fable never fully connects with the political allegory it sets up. Del Toro is the horror movie version of Tim Burton. Both are escaped Art Directors/Production Designers who missed their calling by becoming Directors.
                    JoeS
                    Last edited by JoeS; 11-08-2015, 09:59 PM.

Comment

I agree. I find COMPANY OF WOLVES to be a better version of a young woman's coming of age story via dark fantasy than PAN'S LABYRINTH. I don't get the geek cult of worship surrounding Del Toro.

I do want to see this movie eventually tho.
                      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                        Its just so polished and perfect looking that I can't imagine being frightened by anything that happens in it. That kind of gloss is just constantly calling attention to the fact that this is all just a movie.
                        Originally posted by JoeS
                        Del Toro is the horror movie version of Tim Burton. Both are escaped Art Directors/Production Designers who missed their calling by becoming Directors.
                        Originally posted by Scott
                        I don't get the geek cult of worship surrounding Del Toro.
                        All of this is true. I saw both Pan's Labyrinth and The Devil's Backbone years after everybody else, and had heard so much praise of the films. But when I finally saw them I was just perplexed. Was that it? Shallow envisionings of deep themes, coated in glossy Burtonesque visuals that are constantly calling out "Look at me, look how I can swirl the camera around". When your attention is constantly focused, not on what is actually happening on the screen, but instead on the movements and positions of the camera itself, and on the plastic artificiality of the set design and special effects, it's so hard to focus on the (banal) storyteling. Not a Del Toro fan, except when he discusses other director's films. His love for cinema really shines through in, for instance, the out of left field commentary he did on the Masters of Cinema Vampyr disc.

Comment

I thoroughly enjoyed CRIMSON PEAK. It worked well for me. It's not original by any means, but a clear tribute to classic gothic "horrors" from Europe and US directors like Corman. I think GDT is a very good director who still has yet to make his best movie. So far, PACIFIC RIM is his only film that didn't work for me. It took me a few viewings to catch on with his HELLBOY movies. Perhaps this will be the case for PR. His horrors worked well for me too, but I don't consider PAN'S LABYRINTH to be his best film so far -- that'd be THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE. I also can't compare him to Tim Burton -- GDT is much more consistent and entertaining in his abilities. Burton has been going for over 25 years and has fewer satisfying movies than I have fingers on my right hand.

Comment

Zavvi's got a pretty foxy steelbook exclusive coming out in the UK for this one.

Name:	12235066_10206809215981596_8735204645247957833_n.jpg
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	349427

Name:	12250133_10206809215941595_7205506308912753147_n.jpg
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	349426

Name:	12027797_10206809215901594_700146073712754027_n.jpg
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	349425
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by bgart13 View Post
                              I thoroughly enjoyed CRIMSON PEAK. It worked well for me. It's not original by any means, but a clear tribute to classic gothic "horrors" from Europe and US directors like Corman. I think GDT is a very good director who still has yet to make his best movie. So far, PACIFIC RIM is his only film that didn't work for me. It took me a few viewings to catch on with his HELLBOY movies. Perhaps this will be the case for PR. His horrors worked well for me too, but I don't consider PAN'S LABYRINTH to be his best film so far -- that'd be THE DEVIL'S BACKBONE. I also can't compare him to Tim Burton -- GDT is much more consistent and entertaining in his abilities. Burton has been going for over 25 years and has fewer satisfying movies than I have fingers on my right hand.
                              I agree with everything you say but I even enjoyed PACIFIC RIM.

Comment

Working...
                              X