X-Ray (aka Hospital Massacre)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X-Ray (aka Hospital Massacre)

Watched this last night, don't think I had seen it before. Barbi Benton is a little wooden but not bad in it. Pretty too. Boaz Davidson directed and keeps the movie tense and fairly exciting. The locations are great too - there's a weird Cronenbergian vibe to some of the medical scenes that make them feel just a little off kilter. And then there's the whole 'ninth floor' where things are just flat out weird. Some good murder set pieces here too. The only major problem with the movie is that there is virtually no character development. Even by the admittedly fairly low character development standards of the typical 80's slasher movie this one scores low marks in that department. Otherwise, solid and semi-sleazy entertainment, even if the 'twist' at the end is goofy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082527/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_8

Oh and the Blu-ray from Shout! looks pretty nice too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	81LWFNdTSTL._SY606_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	365514
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

It's finally on Blu, eh? I haven't been keeping up to date with that shit.

I really enjoy this one mainly for the setting. There's not a lot of Hospital slasher films and I think this is pretty successful at using the location to its advantage. Great sleazy tone too. I agree that the character development is shit but I think the overall atmosphere, the kills, and obviously the setting keep it above par.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I just didn't care for X-RAY at all. I'd seen SCHIZOID back in the vhs days and really liked it. However it didn't hold up on a second viewing which was disappointing.
      "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

As bad as it is, I love X-RAY. Mostly because of Barbi Benton but also because its bizarre from beginning to end. I found it fascinating how it took place in some alternate reality where you can walk into a hospital to pick up some test results and be held against your will then subjected to intrusive testing. I also enjoy the scene in the elevator that clearly is the inspiration for Carl's Jr commercials. Oh and there's Barbi's boobies in HD.

Comment

I found X-Ray very unnerving. In a good way.
          Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason C View Post
            Oh and there's Barbi's boobies in HD.
            They're puffy!

This poster is neat... because no one actually operates on her - but you've gotta love a good tag line.

Name:	x_ray_dupe1_MF00234_L.jpg
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	347626
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Also, this!

Name:	il_570xN.547341830_84mi.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	347627
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And also this!

"X-RAY is better known as HOSPITAL MASSACRE (1982). Boaz Davidson filled in for Emmett Alston as director and Barbi Benton replaced Jill St. John as the star. "

Name:	xray.jpg
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	347628

I don't think it would have worked as well with Jill St. John in the lead. She's nice looking and what not but Benton has that right air of genuinely confused terror in a few scenes that works well in the movie's favor, the obvious scene being the one where she's doped up and strapped to the gurney - when she flips out in that scene, she's pretty damn convincing. In the other scenes where she wanders around, she has that sort of 'deer in the headlights' look to her that is pretty effective.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Banks View Post
                  I just didn't care for X-RAY at all.
                  Got to agree here, I don't like this one much either. Benton might be easy on the eyes but you can see the smoke coming out of her ears when she's trying to deliver a line (LOVE BOAT is her high water mark) and there's not much flair to the picture a whole. I'm a slasher junkie but this one leaves me cold.
                  I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

From the 88 Films FB page:

"On April 20th 88 Films is proud to present 1982's Barbi Benton-starring shocker X-RAY (aka HOSPITAL MASSACRE) as part of our Slasher Classics Collection.

Pre-order will be tomorrow on amazon - full specs tbc

This is X-RAY's first release in the UK since the heady days of VHS!"

Name:	1779288_1017512711598671_696406312569872770_n.jpg
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	347949
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                    X