Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scream Factory Releasing Phantom Of The Opera

Press release!

Get ready, Freddy. Scream Factory is going to the opera! A Blu-ray release of The Phantom of the Opera, including several bonus features, has been announced for release on February 17, 2015.

Robert Englund (A Nightmare on Elm Street, Galaxy of Terror, Freddy vs. Jason) assumes the classic role of The Phantom in this shocking, nerve-jangling retelling of Gaston Leroux's timeless tale of music, madness and murder.

An aspiring opera singer finds herself transported back to Victorian-era London - and into the arms of a reclusive, disfigured maestro determined to make her a star. The silver-throated Christine (Jill Schoelen, The Stepfather) enjoys success through the arrangements of her new lover (Englund)… until she realizes that he has been committing unspeakably grisly murders in her honor and won't stop until he's completed his masterpiece… in blood!

Also starring Bill Nighy (I Frankenstein, Shaun of the Dead, Underworld), Alex Hyde-White (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade), Terence Harvey (From Hell), and Molly Shannon (SNL, Superstar), directed by Dwight H. Little (Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers, Marked for Death, Rapid Fire), and featuring make-up effects by Kevin Yagher (A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge, Face/Off), this “darker spin on… The Phantom of the Opera is the one to watch.” (HorrorCultFilms.co.uk)!

Special Features:

Audio Commentary with Director Dwight H. Little and Actor Robert Englund
    Behind the Mask: The Making of “The Phantom of the Opera,” featuring new interviews with Director Dwight H. Little; Actors Robert Englund, Jill Schoelen, and Alex Hyde-White; Screenwriter Duke Sandefur; Special Make-Up Designer Kevin Yagher; Special Make-Up Effects Artists John Carl Buechler, Everett Burrell and John Vulich; and Composer Misha Segal
    Theatrical Trailer
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Click image for larger version

Name:	the-phantom-of-the-opera.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	347550
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I've always loved this slasher version of the Phantom although if I had to nitpick I'd say that it would have probably been a bit more interesting if the entire film was set in the present day. Kind of got the short end of the stick when it was released but horror was pretty crowded in 1989 so it was inevitable that one film would fall through the cracks. There were rumors of a sequel which I would love to see materialize some day.
      LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]11918[/ATTACH]
        Subtle poster art there. Funnily enough, I always saw a copy on the shelves of the rental chains but I never took a chance on it. And I've never seen that poster before, I'm guessing the tag lines are Shout Factory's idea.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Alex I think those tag lines were on the original poster and are not something Shout added.

Comment

Yeah those lines were on the original poster:

It probably seemed like a good marketing idea at the time but I think they kind of shot themselves in the foot with it with the 5th Elm Street film having been released that same year. The Phantom's scarred face is very Freddy-esque though.
            LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

Well I'll be damned.

Comment

I still think this is one of the best versions of Phantom of the Opera (though of course the Lon Chaney version is still the best!). Of course, it's not that faithful to the book but none of the movies really are anyway. I'm looking forward to this Blu-ray!

Comment

I did finally watch this one (it wasn't the Blu obviously). It was... Okay. Great production values and some good acting, Robert Englund is loving playing the Phantom and doesn't really play Freddy again. The Phantom is suave and obsessed, without a sense of humor. He's not really a tragic figure this time. Actually the 3rd act feels really rushed and suddenly the heroine doesn't want to be with him and now suddenly it's the end game.

Aside from a rushed 3rd act the big problem with it is that it doesn't go far enough with the concept. It's too highbrow but not classy enough or directed in a way to elevate the material. And it's not schlocky enough to be enjoyable. Middle of the road flick but one of the better horror adaptations of Phantom. Way better than Phantom of the Mall or Argento's Phantom.

Comment

Nice...Might have to watch this myself soon.

Was all "Fredy'ied out" by the time this one arrived and thought it would be more of the same...Then never managed to see it...

Comment

Working...
                    X