Event Horizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event Horizon

File this one under "What could have been great." A cult classic that comes up every now and again. Pitched to the studios as 'the Shining in space' and directed by then up and comer Paul W.S. Anderson hot off the success of one of the only decent video game adaptations Mortal Kombat from 1995.

Pros:

A variety of generally good and great actors. Sam Neil is underused but Laurence Fishburne elevates it somewhat.

Great production values. The set they used was very impressive. The actual Event Horizon is a great sight to behold.

Decent story. It's nothing terribly impressive but it's a great foundation for good ideas. You could argue that Galaxy of Terror did it better or worse but Galaxy of Terror had a certain B movie charm.

Cons:

No likable characters and no build up to said characters. In a movie like this you can execute the idea in two ways: either you go for the gore (Which, again, Galaxy Of Terror did) or you go for the psychological horror. You can't have it both ways generally speaking. But it would be interesting to see a movie done like the Shining but has a Fulci-style intestine puking scene.

Poor overall execution. It shifts back and fourth from horror film to generic Sci Fi flick. Leading to...

Pro and Con:

The infamous cut footage.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/471...ou-didn-t-see/

Supposedly 20 something minutes of gore was cut out of this thing. I doubt it's 20 minutes exactly but judging from the stills of the cut footage it did seem like lengthier shots of the carnage. Anderson found a completely uncut VHS back in 2012 or 2013 but so far no new info on a release of that.

This could be a case like My Bloody Valentine where the cut to shit version is judged as being pretty "meh" but the uncut version elevates it. But then again this is Paul W.S. Anderson so it's a coin toss.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

I enjoy this more than I feel comfortable admitting to. Its shit but the mystery and the atmosphere of the early scenes is a lot of fun. There's some definite issues witht the third act but in the lead up to there it sometimes verges on being very good. Count me as one who would be hugely surprised if there's a masterpiece version sitting in a vault somewhere. I'm not sure Anderson has quality in him.
    Last edited by Dom D; 11-28-2014, 06:54 AM.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

I Think this is great as it is. I don't see the need for more footage in the "Flashback" video logs etc. As Alex says, it is damn good visually, and I like the actors and the plot. I feel an extra 20 minutes might ruin it, pacing wise.
      "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

I like this quite a bit, it's an interesting concept - that makes me think of Clive Barker more than anything else - definitely uneven in execution but I think the pros outweigh the cons. Good trashy horror fun, it's one of those films I can always reach for as a late night view.
        I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

I read on IMDB that Clive Barker was brought on as a consultant in the early days of pre-production.

Interesting replies. Can't say I agree but to each his own. I just re-watched Galaxy of Terror and I still like that one more. And keep in mind that I saw Event Horizon first and many, many years before Galaxy of Terror. I think because it's a darker film and doesn't feel very generic. It feels different when compared to the Alien ripoffs of it's time. Has a definite pulp Sci Fi quality like something you'd find in a sleazy short story collection. Plus the sets are even more impressive considering it was done with a million dollar budget. You would never see something like that again done for that kind of amount of money these days.
          Alex K.
          Last edited by Alex K.; 11-29-2014, 05:44 AM.

Comment

I really like Event Horizon as it takes the haunted house in outer space motif and runs well with it.
            "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

I love horror in space but EV has never clicked with me and I've given it numerous opportunities. I didn't give a rip about the characters and found Peters and Cooper to be extremely obnoxious. Jack Noseworthy is terrible as well.

I thought it was more HELLRAISER than THE SHINING.

Comment

Revisited this last night for the first time in a long time and enjoyed it. It's imperfect to be sure and it never quite hits all the potential it had, but it's more than decent entertainment even if some of the effects work hasn't aged very well at all.

I definitely see the Clive Barker vibe to it mentioned above, it kinda feels like Alien meets Hellraiser to me.

Also, Sam Neill is just fucking cool. I love that guy.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Sam Neill does that to people. My dad who knows nothing about films or actors excitedly blurted out "Hey, it's that guy!" when we went to the theatre to see Escape Plan and he popped up on screen.
                  https://www.instagram.com/moviemorpho83/

Oh, not on Cauliflower! Oh, not on Broccoli!

Comment

I went into this cold and it absolutely blew me away. I don't think I've ever been more scared in a movie theater. Awesome flick.
                    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

In space, you will be hearing many screams as we unleash 1997's gruesome EVENT HORIZON on an upgraded & definitive Blu-ray release this Fall! Details we have currently are as follows:

• National street date for North America (Region A) is planned for Sept 29th. Please note that the date could change as we are still experiencing a domino effect from the COVID situation--which has caused numerous delays for earlier releases in our schedule, as you have seen We'll do our best to keep this date of course, but we're still in an unprecedented time in which getting access to talent for extras or setting up film transfers are more challenging than they were before. We appreciate your understanding now and in advance and hopefully there will be some stabilization.

• This is being presented as a Collector's Edition release and will come guaranteed with a slipcover in its first three months of release.

• The newly commissioned artwork you see pictured comes to us from artist Joel Robinson. This art will be front-facing and the reverse side of the wrap will feature the original theatrical artwork.

• New extras are in progress and will be announced on a later date (Aug timing, and also depending on current events). We can confirm today that we are doing a new 4K scan of the film! As for any much-inquired-about additional footage (in addition to what's be presented on prior releases), we are looking into it as best we can. We welcome any leads you may have alongside our efforts.

Pre-order now @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/…/eve...or-s-ed… , the first 500 orders will include an exclusive limited-edition 18” x 24” rolled poster of the exclusive new illustration.

Click image for larger version

Name:	103095094_1873472982789704_4427214342580460167_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	358405
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Pass not unless they find the uncut gore footage.

Comment

I watched this again quite recently. It's still fun, but the 90's CGI sucks arse. It would have aged better if they'd used items suspended on strings when they board the deserted ship. I guess the 90s ethos was they can do it all in the computer rather than shooting the real thing and just painting out the wires and rigs.
                          I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
                            I watched this again quite recently. It's still fun, but the 90's CGI sucks arse. It would have aged better if they'd used items suspended on strings when they board the deserted ship. I guess the 90s ethos was they can do it all in the computer rather than shooting the real thing and just painting out the wires and rigs.
                            A lot of it is the thought that it takes just as much time to erase wires digitally, and the suspended items can cause problems on set, so why not just do the digital effect and streamline the on-set process.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                              Pass not unless they find the uncut gore footage.
                              Wasn't this stored in a salt mine in the outer reaches of Uzbekistan or something equally bizarre?
                              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                              'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Working...
                              X