Event Horizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul L View Post
    Wasn't this stored in a salt mine in the outer reaches of Uzbekistan or something equally bizarre?
    The last rumor was that they found a VHS workprint but that was debunked.

Galaxy of Terror is better anyway.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
      The last rumor was that they found a VHS workprint but that was debunked.

Galaxy of Terror is better anyway.
      {Nodding in agreement.}
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Full press release for the upcoming Shout! Factory release.

Click image for larger version  Name:	event.jpg Views:	1 Size:	33.5 KB ID:	359483

"[It] doesn't just borrow from fine antecedents, it takes their future shock value to new heights, using genuinely original FX and creepy camerawork to great effect." - Empire Magazine

Event Horizon Collector's Edition Blu-ray of the Cult Classic Available March 23, 2021 from Scream Factory

"Where we're going, we won't need eyes to see." This spring, bring home the terror that is Paul W.S. Anderson's blood-soaked sci-fi thriller Event Horizon with the new Collector's Edition Blu-ray from Scream Factory.

Available March 23, 2021, this collector's edition of the cult classic boasts a new 4k scan of the original camera negative as well as a bevy of brand-new bonus features, including an interview with director Paul W.S. Anderson, an interview with writer Philip Eisner, interviews with actress Kathleen Quinlan, actor Jack Noseworthy and actor Peter Marinker, an interview with production designer Joseph Bennett and much, much more! Fans can pre-order their copy now by visiting ShoutFactory.com

Its name: Event Horizon. The high-tech, pioneering research spacecraft mysteriously vanished without a trace on its maiden voyage seven years ago. But a weak, persistent signal from the long-missing craft prompts a rescue team, headed by the intrepid Captain Miller (Laurence Fishburne), to wing its way through the galaxy on a bold rescue mission. Accompanying Miller is his elite crew and the lost ship's designer (Sam Neill). What they uncover is unimaginable interstellar horror.

Event Horizon Bonus Features:

-NEW 4K scan of the original camera negative
        -NEW Reflecting on Hell - an interview with director Paul W.S. Anderson
        -NEW Ghost Galleon - an interview with writer Philip Eisner
        -NEW Organized Chaos - an interview with actress Kathleen Quinlan
        -NEW Compassion in Space - an interview with actor Jack Noseworthy
        -NEW The Doomed Captain - an interview with actor Peter Marinker
        -NEW Space Cathedral - an interview with production designer Joseph Bennett
        -NEW Something New - an interview with set decorator Crispian Sallis
        -NEW Taking Care of It - an interview with production manager Dusty Symonds
        -NEW Reinforcements - an interview with second unit director Robin Vidgeon
        -NEW Almost Real - an interview with location manager Derek Harrington
        -NEW Screams from the Cosmos - an interview with sound designer Campbell Askew
        -Audio Commentary with director Paul W.S. Anderson and producer Jeremy Bolt
        -The Making of EVENT HORIZON - a 5-part documentary
        -The Point of No Return - a 4-part look at the filming of EVENT HORIZON with narration by Paul W.S. Anderson
        -Secrets - deleted and extended scenes with director's commentary
        -The Unseen EVENT HORIZON - The un-filmed rescue scene and conceptual art with director's commentary
        -Theatrical Trailer
        -Video Trailer

About Shout! Factory
        Shout! Factory, LLC is a leading multi-platform media company devoted to film and TV distribution, development, and production, as well as the preservation and revitalization of the very best in pop-culture entertainment. Founded by Richard Foos, Bob Emmer, and Garson Foos in 2003, Shout! owns and manages a large portfolio of films, contemporary and classic TV series, animation, and documentaries. The company's creative acquisition mandate has established it as a leading independent distributor, with partners and properties including GKIDS, Sesame Street, The Carol Burnett Show, The Johnny Carson Show, IFC Films, Stephen J. Cannell Productions, ITV Studios, Major League Baseball Productions, and many others. Shout! Factory Kids focuses on live-action and animated kids and family properties as well as anime, and the company releases films and television shows in other genres under the Scream Factory and Shout Select imprints. Shout! develops, acquires and distributes new films via Shout! Studios, owns and operates libraries including Mystery Science Theater 3000 (in partnership with creator Joel Hodgson) and the Roger Corman New Horizon Pictures Library, and operates the acclaimed streaming service Shout! Factory TV. Shout! Factory is based in Los Angeles, California. For more on Shout! Factory, visit shoutfactory.com.

Ian Jane
        Administrator
        Last edited by Ian Jane; 12-21-2022, 12:26 PM.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

According to The Digital Bits, Paramount will be releasing this on UHD later this year.

Comment

I happened to rewatch this just a couple days ago. There's very few films I'd say this about but Event Horizon could definitely do with being half an hour longer. It's a haunted house flick and haunted house flicks are supposed to have a period of subtly mounting menace. There's no time for that here though. There's more to set up than in your standard haunted house so the whole "mounting dread" part of the structure is missing.

It's a funny one, EH is borderline to being a film you could call "objectively shit" and yet I've still seen it half a dozen times and I think I'm very far from alone in that.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Looks like Paramount is going all out on the UHD, fancy packaging and everything.

Click image for larger version

Name:	280152298_1669664596710086_5465830311432957610_n.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	392385

Name:	280319996_1669686390041240_2621663192101604196_n.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	392386
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

1997 was a pretty good year. Some decent films that year, also. However, this film wasn't too good.

I still recall clearly, myself, being anticipated for this movie. I saw that Fangoria magazine, that had a cover with a guy being impaled, a scene that I guess was edited out of the film. So Fangoria had me hyped up for the, "Haunted house in outer space" film. Also, some of what I was reading on the internet at that time really had me stoked to see the movie.

Well, i recall having a lot of disappointment during, and after the film. It was a lot more slow, and dull, than I expected. Nowhere near the level as Fangoria and other stuff on the 90s internet had hyped it up to be. Later, i read about the film being heavily edited.

I did revisit this on Blu-ray. I don't think i ever bothered with it on VHS or DVD. I don't own the DVD, so, I think with the Blu-ray release it was the first time I had revisted it since the theatre. I knew what to expect that time, however, I still didn't find it to be too good.If some fo that edited out footage shows up, and they put the film back together, I'd be more interested in revisting it. Still, it is one of those movies I recall really being interested in seeing, and the huge disappointment I felt, afterwards.

For some reason this does remind me, that wen it comes to space films, years later, I did see Pandorum. That film starts out a bit slow, but it held my interest, and really went somewhere. Not a, "Haunted house in outer space" film, but close enough! Heck, Sunshine was closer to, "Haunted house in outer space" than Event Horizon.

Here's hoping that one day a version of Event Horizon surfaces that has all the footage that was cut!

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Ringeisen View Post
                  1997 was a pretty good year.
                  It's always slightly disorienting to go back and look at individual years from the 90s. '97 you had Lost Highway and Jackie Brown as the marque films. Titanic and Face Off for the crowd pleasers. LA Confidential and The Game for solid thrillers. Con Air was that year. Didnt matter that the new Alien film sucked because we had Starship Troopers, Fifth Element, Event Horizon and Men In Black for sci fi alone. Austin Powers and Grosse Point Blank for comedy. Boogie Nights was that year. Then there were all those films that were highly thought of that I don't personally rate: Donnie Brasco and Good Will Hunting and Lolita and As Good As It Gets and Funny Games.

Wasn't even the best year of the 90s.
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

There's a standard edition (non-steelbook) UHD release coming 1/13/23.

https://amzn.to/3GbBBmD

Name:	81H8iBQkxeL._SX342_.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	406533
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                    X