Nicolas Winding Refn's The Neon Demon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside the weird world of The Neon Demon

Nicolas Winding Refn's divisive new film is slick and sinister. Here, Natasha Braier, his cinematographer, breaks down its visceral style
    LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

I watched this recently. i wasn't too keen on seeing this in the theatre, but after seeing it wasn't at many theatres, and I wasn't too far from one, I thought I'd go see it.

This director, the only film of his I've seen, is "Pusher". I bought the Anchor Bay US DVD of that sometime in the early 00's, I guess.

I also watched part of Bronson, when Someone was watching it, streaming from Netflix, and I sat in and watched the last 2/3 or so of it.

I still haven't seen Drive.

I was the only one in the theatre at first, but later another person joined. So, it was pretty quiet. 2 people.

The movie, doesn't quite take place in any current, "Reality". Someone in this thread mentioned, "Style over Substance". Yeah, I'd say that. Also, at least at the start, a lot of people saying something, then silence, then saying something... Still, I had an OK time with The Neon Demon. After the first half, it becomes a bit more unusual. I'd give the movie a 5/10. It had some interesting moments, but, didn't grab me. It was what I expected. Maybe I'll appreciate it more after I digest it a bit, see some of this director's other work, and maybe give it a second viewing when it gets to Blu-ray.

While watching The Neon Demon, something that threw me off a bit, was every character in the movie saying that main character was so hot, etc. As the movie went on, I kept in mind, yeah, it's part of the movie, and all, but I kept thinking, for my taste, I preferred that woman Ruby and her two girlfriends, .

So, it was an interesting movie. Had some moments, the scene towards the end, with the thing on the floor had me chuckling, laughing a bit. Not what I expected.

I think I'll give, "Only God Forgives" a viewing, sometime.

Comment

You really should watch Drive and Valhalla Rising.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

"Showgirls meets The Company of Wolves"!
          LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

My local arthouse Cinema showed this as a one off tonight, so I went and saw it. Good, but not great. On par with Only God Forgives, which I also like, but not love. Beautiful as hell. Great soundtrack. If he had only toned down the pretentiousness a bit, and upped the weirdness and gross out a bit, I feel this could have been a masterpiece.
            "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Press release for the US Blu-ray/DVD release.

Click image for larger version

Name:	f93cf2e4-d47b-45c0-8bbb-f4348024ce0b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	351082

"Hypnotically beautiful…stylishly crosses fashion with horror. An over-the top finale.”
              ~ Justin Chang, Los Angeles Times

“Elegant, sensual, and blood drenched”
              ~ Eric Kohn, Indiewire

Beauty Isn't Everything. It's the Only Thing.

THE NEON DEMON

A FILM BY NICOLAS WINDING REFN

STARRING ELLE FANNING, KARL GLUSMAN, JENNA MALONE, BELLA HEATHCOTE, ABBEY LEE, WITH CHRISTINA HENDRICKS AND KEANU REEVES

On Digital HD and VOD August 30 & Blu-ray and DVD September 27

LOS ANGELES (August 16, 2016) -Amazon Studio's The Neon Demon directed by Nicolas Winding Refn, is a sumptuous horror-thriller, set in the highly competitive and often vicious world of fashion modeling, where the term “eat their own” takes on a decidedly new meaning. When aspiring model Jesse moves to Los Angeles, her youth and vitality are devoured by a group of beauty-obsessed women who will use any means necessary to get what she has. The film is co-written by Refn (Bronson, Drive, Only God Forgives, Valhalla Rising), Mary Laws (”Preacher”) and Polly Stenham; and stars Elle Fanning (Maleficent, Super 8), Karl Glusman (Love, Stonewall), Jena Malone (Inherent Vice, The Hunger Games series), Bella Heathcote (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Dark Shadows), Abbey Lee (Gods of Egypt, Max Max: Fury Road), with Christina Hendricks (“Mad Men,” Drive), and Keanu Reeves (John Wick, The Matrix series).

The film will be released on Digital HD & VOD on August 30 and on Blu-ray™ & DVD on September 27. Special features on the Blu-ray and DVD release include audio commentary with Director Nicolas Winding Refn and Elle Fanning, and two featurettes - “Behind the Soundtrack of The Neon Demon” and “About The Neon Demon.”

Shot in Los Angeles, the “city of dreams,” The Neon Demon, features a driving electronic soundtrack by Cliff Martinez, who previously composed the celebrated scores for Refn's films Drive and Only God Forgives, and stunning high fashion by costume designer and past Refn collaborator Erin Benach (Drive).

The film is produced by Lene Bí¸rglum (Dogville, Only God Forgives), Sidonie Dumas, and Vincent Maraval. Executive producers are Christophe Riandee, Brahim Chioua, Christopher Woodrow (Birdman, Killer Joe), Michael Bassick (Bernie, The Ten), Steven Marshall, Michel Litvak (Whiplash, Drive), Gary Michael Walters (Whiplash, Drive), Jeffrey Stott (2 Guns, Drive), Rachel Dik (Old Fashioned), Victor Ho (The World Made Straight, Fast Food Nation), Manuel Chiche, Matthew Read, and Thor Sigurjonsson. Co-Producers are K. Blaine Johnston and Elexa Ruth.

Synopsis:
              When aspiring model Jesse moves to Los Angeles, her youth and vitality are devoured by a group of beauty-obsessed women who will use any means necessary to get what she has.

THE NEON DEMON (BLU-RAY, DVD, VOD and DIGITAL HD)
              Director: Nicolas Winding Refn
              Producers: Lene Bí¸rglum, Sidonie Dumas and Vincent Maraval
              Rating: R for disturbing violent content, bloody images, graphic nudity, a scene of aberrant sexuality, and language.
              Runtime: 117 minutes
              Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theneondemonfilm
              Twitter: @TND_film
              Instagram: @TheNeonDemonFilm

TECHNICAL INFORMATION:
              Layers: Dual Layer
              Aspect Ratio: Widescreen 2:40:1
              Spoken Languages: English
              Subtitles: English SDH & Latin American Spanish audio for feature only
              Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1

About Broad Green Pictures

Broad Green Pictures, founded by Gabriel and Daniel Hammond in 2014, is a fully-integrated movie studio with unparalleled development support, production infrastructure, and marketing resources to execute their vision from script to screen. Through collaborative partnerships, Broad Green shares incredible stories with the widest possible audiences. The studio creates and distributes theatrical films derived from in-house development and production, as well as acquisitions and co-productions across a multitude of platforms. The studio's upcoming slate includes Bad Santa 2, a co-production with Miramax, Step Sisters and Villa Capri. Broad Green will also release Terrence Malick's Voyage of Time and his untitled project starring Ryan Gosling, Rooney Mara and Michael Fassbender. Previously released films include A Walk in the Woods, The Infiltrator, Amazon Studio's The Neon Demon, the critically-acclaimed 99 Homes, I Smile Back, Learning to Drive, Knight of Cups and The Dark Horse.
              Broad Green Pictures online:

Facebook: Facebook.com/broadgreen
              Twitter: Twitter.com/broadgreen
              Instagram: Instagram.com/broadgreen
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Watched this the other night. What a visually beautiful movie! Definitely worth the wait.
                Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

It really is a gorgeous film and while I can't really argue with those who say it's style over substance, for me it wasn't lacking. I got a lot out of it, really appreciated the whole 'you're either sex or food' motif that runs through the movie, the way that Jesse's character evolves from innocent 'fresh meat' to full fledged narcissist and the relationship that evolves between her and Ruby's characters. Really dug the performances too. I'm looking forward to watching this again sooner rather than later with the lights off and the volume cranked. The soundtrack for this is killer.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Looking forward to finally seeing it.

Comment

Refn has put together another album 'inspired' by the movie.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/03/nic...um-1201792385/
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I think NWR is a crap director and his films are boring to say the least
                        Saw DRIVE, ONLY GOD FORGIVES and THE NEON DEMON on tv which were abysmal:down:

Comment

I really love DRIVE. I enjoyed ONLY GOD FORGIVES. Love BRONSON and PUSHER as well.

NEON DEMON was annoying as hell. :D

Comment

Watch his four Danish films. In my opinion they're his best films. Too bad he's decided never to film in Denmark again.
                            2019: The only blog to survive the nuclear holocaust

Comment

I enjoyed this but the Pusher films are really good. They are available on Shudder.

Comment

Working...
                              X