No announcement yet.

Code Red's Nightmare Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like this is getting reissued by Massacre Video with a new 2k transfer taken from the negative with a bunch of extras, including 2nd feature Dog Tags.

More info here:

https://www.facebook.com/cinemaarcan...&theater&ifg=1
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	354497
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

From my Cinema Arcana FB Page: (For those who don't FB -- and thanks for the plug, Ian!)

“The dream you can't escape alive!” Coming later this year as part of Massacre Video's Limited Edition Blu-Ray series - an officially licensed, exclusive restoration of Romano Scavolini's notorious nasty, NIGHTMARES IN A DAMAGED BRAIN (1981)!

Prematurely released from psychiatric care, George Tatum aimlessly wanders the sleaze pits of New York's 42nd Street, unsure of a greater purpose. However, his experimental drugs only manage to keep his vivid hallucinations and nightmares at bay for a short time, and it isn't long before he's embarking on a southbound slaughter spree, feeling himself drawn to a sunny seaside destination only he knows.

An oppressive, relentlessly bleak film, NIGHTMARE (as it's better known to Stateside fans) has amassed a bit of a following over the years thanks to its mean-spirited seriousness and nihilistic worldview. Generally considered a slasher film, it's more of a psychotic character study - more akin to DON'T ANSWER THE PHONE or MANIAC than FRIDAY THE 13th. However, one potential connection to the latter is its gloriously graphic gore FX - their hotly-contested perpetrator is still in debate. (Ed French or Tom Savini? Will we ever get the full story?) Regardless, the disturbing scenes of violence were enough to land the film on England's notorious Video Nasties list, and its distributor actually wound up doing time behind bars!

Previous disc releases have utilized a worn 35mm release print or an uncorrected answer print, but thanks to some hard work and determination, an original internegative has recently been uncovered, and Massacre are using this preferable element as the source for their 2K restoration. With color correction by the same technicians responsible for their stunning HACK-O-LANTERN release, this should easily be the best NIGHTMARE has ever looked.

While extras are currently being worked on, one supplement guaranteed to tempt even those who don't generally double-dip is the inclusion of Scavolini's directorial follow-up, the gritty 'Namsploitation outing DOG TAGS (1987)! Unreleased on disc previously and never officially issued on home video in the U.S., the film follows a group of soldiers who discover the secret mission they've reluctantly been assigned is actually the recovery of stolen gold. With said riches at their fingertips, temptation proves too much and greed breeds paranoia - but can they even make it out of the jungle alive? A mean slab of celluloid, DOG TAGS is especially remembered for an agonizing amputation scene and another starring role for NIGHTMARE's Baird Stafford, so its appearance here is particularly welcome. Massacre Video is accessing the original 35mm negative for their scan, so you might as well throw away those bootlegs now!

Obviously another mouth-watering addition to an already impressive slate of upcoming releases from Massacre Video. Watch this space for further details!

© Bruce Holecheck, 2018

Bruce Holecheck
        Last edited by Bruce Holecheck; 06-01-2018, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Hopefully MV can include the missing footage that the UK release has but I think I'll pick this up to check out Dog Tags.

Comment

The only way I can justify buying this on Blu Ray for a third time would be for Dog Tags. I'll wait until it's out (which could be years as it's Massacre) to see. Is there some rights dispute or is Code Red's license expiring?
            I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

I read something about CR/Kino doing a repress but that seems to have been cancelled.

I was also thinking this is probably a while in coming as no date is mentioned other than "later this year".

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]20297[/ATTACH]
                I never saw that photo before of Tom (No, really, I had almost nothing to do with Nightmares in a Damaged Brain guys, please stop asking me about it) Savini.

I don't think I can justify another release of Nightmares in a Damaged Brain even if it's one of my absolute favorites. I think I watched Dog Tags once but I can't remember anything about it.
                Alex K.
                Last edited by Alex K.; 06-02-2018, 02:30 AM.
                "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Nightmare is a great film. I really enjoyed it's sleazy atmosphere with it's commentary on the failures of the mental health system. I still need to get around to seeing Dog Tags.
                  https://lightandshadowcinematicmusings.blogspot.com/

Comment

Nightmares in a Damaged Brain is my personal favorite serial killer movie. Closely followed by Henry and the Maniac remake.

Comment

I love both the original Maniac and Henry portrait Of A Serial Killer. I haven't seen the maniac remake.

Comment

The Maniac remake is wayyyyyyyyyy better than most of us probably expected. It's really, really good.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I really love the first 20 minutes of the original Maniac but once Caroline Munro's character is introduced the movie just stops dead in its tracks. Even Lustig kind of admitted to that. But hey, they needed funding to complete the movie so I can't say I blame them.

The remake is really, really good. One of the best remakes in a long time.

Comment

Maybe I will check it out. It just hard to believe it could be as good as the original. Ian, did you like it as much as the original?

Comment

I liked it much more than the original. But I can't remember if I saw Henry or Maniac first. I know I saw Nightmares In A Damaged Brain years later.

Comment

Is the Massacre Video release still a thing?

Comment

Working...
                                X