No announcement yet.

Code Red's Nightmare Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems like all or some of the extras did not get sent to the BBFC, who need to pass bonus materials ( for a fat fee ) before a company can releases them.
    Meantime, colors on 88's version seems decidedly off, I am fine with Code Red's.
    https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've been reading 88 Films' version is being pulled as well. No doubt this release has already gone up in price amongst third party sellers as we speak.

CR's version is probably good enough for now anyways. I've also been reading Bill is hopping mad about 88 Films' release. Meh.

I've been hearing 88 Films' product is decidedly mediocre; anyone care to weigh in on this one? I'd like to know before I buy any of their discs.

Comment

Ian posted a great link in post # 19 of this thread to an article comparing and offering caps off both to purvey.
        88 Films has a transfer that favors greenish tints that do not look natural to me.
        https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ill try to do a rundown on my non-expert opinion having just viewed 88's disc. 88's Italian releases have reportedly suffered in the past from mediocrity. NIGHTMARE is a different kettle of fish. They have taken it from the original elements, as opposed to print sources I think were used by Code Red. Consequently it has less damage although having just checked CR's version damage (green lines etc) is minimal anyway. I did not find the colors to be off on 88's but I have not done a comparison or anything. Its not clear to me which is better PQ wise (ignoring CR's minimal damage here and there) a side by side comparison would need to be done. Code Red's is certainly not bad PQ wise either. 88's also has that extra footage, although still missing a few seconds apparently. You never actually get to see the killer standing directly behind the boy as shown in the stills posted on Code Reds website from the Dutch VHS but you do now get to see him creep up from behind before it cuts away. Rutime on 88's version is now 99 and a few seconds whereas Code Reds is 98 mins plus. The sound had to be pumped up pretty loud to be able to hear the voices but then when people screamed or music came on it would be wake the neighbours. I did not remember CR's blu having these sound issues but I would have to recheck. (I just rechecked - CR'S seems better sound wise). I don't mind 88 but I would think twice before buying their Italian line unless I didn't have the DVD already. At least in the UK you can get 88's product for pretty cheap (£8.99) in comparison with other companies or releases in places like Germany for example. My view at this moment is that I think the only benefit of having 88's is the extra seconds of footage plus the extras if those interest you so yeah not a must purchase by any means.
          Bogart
          Last edited by Bogart; 12-19-2015, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Brooks View Post
            Thought it would show up there sooner or later. The BBFC seem to be getting slower and slower in adding submissions to their online database.
            'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
            'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

DiabolikDVD has the 88 Films bd. I was thinking of ordering as it's $10 cheaper than CR but looking at the comparison, some of the shots on CR look 'natural' to me while a couple on the 88 look best. That's really annoying!

I've been putting off ordering anything from CR despite Nightmare being a fave. There's just too many double-dips & reading his comments doesn't help his case on getting my money quicker than other labels.

Comment

I liked the 88 films BD more. Plus it was nice to see those extra few seconds of footage as crazy as that sounds. I distinctly remember seeing the killer sneak up on that kid in the old Bloodsplash VHS.
                "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                  I liked the 88 films BD more.
                  I watched my copy of the 88 Films release today, funnily enough, and was very happy with the presentation.

I really like the film. I was very 'cold' towards it on my first viewing, on VHS I don't know how many years ago, but with repeated viewings it's really grown on me.
                  'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                  'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I too saw this movie a long time ago and was not overly impressed....time to watch it again I think..

Comment

Hmmm, now I'm thinking I may order the 88F release. I have the CD dvd set (are the extras the same between that & the bd set? I know the blu has the Italian interview).

I like Nightmare quite a bit. I use to own a French dvd of it (paired with another film).

Comment

If your a big fan of the film NIGHTMARE (aka. NIGHTMARES IN A DAMAGED BRAIN), then I highly recommend purchasing both the Code Red, & 88 Films blu-rays, as both releases have their own unique advantages regarding transfer, & extra features. The Code Red NIGHTMARE dvd is also a worthy purchase, because one of the prints transferred retains the Tom Savini Make-Up Effects credit that is missing from all other prints.

Comment

I don't need three copies of the same film. I have the Code Red dvd set (I think it's 2 discs or is it just one disc?). Usually I sell the dvd when I get the blu to clear up shelf space. I generally never go back to re-watch extras.

To be honest, I rather like the dvd so if I never get around to buying a bd, it isn't that big of deal considering all the other movies I'm behind on or will be coming out soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogart View Post
                            Ill try to do a rundown on my non-expert opinion having just viewed 88's disc. 88's Italian releases have reportedly suffered in the past from mediocrity. NIGHTMARE is a different kettle of fish. They have taken it from the original elements, as opposed to print sources I think were used by Code Red. Consequently it has less damage although having just checked CR's version damage (green lines etc) is minimal anyway. I did not find the colors to be off on 88's but I have not done a comparison or anything. Its not clear to me which is better PQ wise (ignoring CR's minimal damage here and there) a side by side comparison would need to be done. Code Red's is certainly not bad PQ wise either. 88's also has that extra footage, although still missing a few seconds apparently. You never actually get to see the killer standing directly behind the boy as shown in the stills posted on Code Reds website from the Dutch VHS but you do now get to see him creep up from behind before it cuts away. Rutime on 88's version is now 99 and a few seconds whereas Code Reds is 98 mins plus. The sound had to be pumped up pretty loud to be able to hear the voices but then when people screamed or music came on it would be wake the neighbours. I did not remember CR's blu having these sound issues but I would have to recheck. (I just rechecked - CR'S seems better sound wise). I don't mind 88 but I would think twice before buying their Italian line unless I didn't have the DVD already. At least in the UK you can get 88's product for pretty cheap (£8.99) in comparison with other companies or releases in places like Germany for example. My view at this moment is that I think the only benefit of having 88's is the extra seconds of footage plus the extras if those interest you so yeah not a must purchase by any means.

88 Films didn't actually do the transfer for NIGHTMARE, that was done in the USA by a company that is very well known on this forum. ( ;

Comment

A friend of mine that buys an enormous amount of movies but is slow to upgrade to bd is going to trade me his CR Nightmare bd for my CR 2-disc set. He said when he bought the bd he has full intentions of buying the player by now but has not. He seems more obsessed with cheap, public domain dvd sets.

Comment

I watched the CR bd a couple nights ago & thought it looked damn good. I'm glad to finally have it in my collection.

Comment

Working...
                                X