No announcement yet.

Cronenberg's SHIVERS Coming To Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, but want to know some weird shit? The original cut Arrow disc is locked to B, but the replacement disc is (at the very least) A/B coded! I've tried both discs on my two dedicated Region A players, the first won't play, the replacement does. Of course, if you order it's 100% pot luck which you get. The only way to tell them apart (as they both have the region B logo on them) is the phrase '2nd Pressing' on the edge of the disc adjacent to the '18' logo.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Lionsgate is releasing this on Blu-ray, supposedly as part of the Vestron Video line. It is up for pre-order at Target for like $13. Unless there is a compelling reason to double dip, I'll stick with my A/B Arrow Blu-ray.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	106079802_1186816424994908_8795123297684395562_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	358547
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I wonder why the pre-order price is so low for these. Makes me suspicious that they didn't even try.
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Looks like the Vestron release will have a commentary with Chris Alexander and David Cronenberg

Comment

The last person who needs a moderator is Cronenberg. Hope Alexander keeps quiet and just lets the man do his thing.
              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Here's the full press release for the Vestron Blu-ray release of Shivers.

Name:	shivers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	358586

Street Date: 9/15/20
                Blu-rayâ„¢ + Digital SRP: $17.99

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
                The Vestron Video Collector's Series returns when legendary director David Cronenberg's (The Fly, Scanners) horror classic Shivers arrives on Blu-rayâ„¢ and Digital September 15 from Lionsgate. Vestron Video has been a leader in remastering the most unique and wide-ranging selection of classic films. A timeless take on sexual horror produced by Ivan Reitman (Ghostbusters), the film stars Paul Hampton, Joe Silver, and Lynn Lowry. With five new special features including an all-new audio commentary with David Cronenberg, Shivers will be available on Blu-ray for the suggested retail price of $17.99.

OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS
                A cult favorite, Shivers is acclaimed filmmaker David Cronenberg's feature-length debut and new to the Vestron Collector's Series. When the residents of a luxury apartment complex outside Montreal are infiltrated by parasites and transformed into violent, sex-crazed maniacs, it's up to Dr. Roger St. Luc to contain the outbreak from spreading to the city at large in a film that “scares and shocks us because it's so cleverly made” (Roger Ebert).

BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURES

*NEW* Audio Commentary with Writer-Director David Cronenberg and Co-Producer Don Carmody
                *NEW* “Mind Over Matter” - An Interview with Writer-Director David Cronenberg
                *NEW* “Good Night Nurse” - An Interview with Actress Lynn Lowry
                *NEW* “Outside and Within” - An Interview with Special Make-Up Effects Creator Joe Blasco
                *NEW* “Celebrating Cinépix” - An Interview with Greg Dunning
                Archival 1998 David Cronenberg Interview
                Still Gallery with Optional Archival Audio Interview with Executive Producer John Dunning
                Theatrical Trailers
                TV Spot
                Radio Spots

CAST
                Paul Hampton TV's “Babylon 5,” Heartbreak Ridge, For a Few Lousy Dollars
                Joe Silver TV's “Coronet Blue,” Rabid, Deathtrap
                Lynn Lowry The Crazies, Model Hunger, A Grim Becoming
                And Barbara Steele TV's “Dark Shadows,” Black Sunday, Pit and the Pendulum

PROGRAM INFORMATION
                Year of Production: 1975
                Title Copyright: Shivers © 1975 Canadian Film Development Corp. and The Famous Players Company. All Rights Reserved. Artwork & Supplementary Materials © 2020 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
                Type: Theatrical Release
                Rating: Unrated
                Genre: Horror, Sci-Fi
                Closed-Captioned: N/A
                Subtitles: English, Spanish, English SDH
                Feature Run Time: 88 minutes
                Blu-ray Format: 1080p High Definition 16x9 (1.78:1) Presentation
                Blu-ray Audio: English Mono Audio (DTS-MA)
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

WM has this on the shelf for around $12.50 for those here in the US. Not a big fan of them but it was nice to be able to walk in and get one. Shockingly, damn near everyone in the store was masked up (it is required but I don't think they really enforce it).
                  I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                    WM has this on the shelf for around $12.50 for those here in the US. Not a big fan of them but it was nice to be able to walk in and get one. Shockingly, damn near everyone in the store was masked up (it is required but I don't think they really enforce it).
                    I will look later. But locally Walmart isn't enforcing the mask rule. Usually when I got 75% of the people inside are maskless. 20 percent have them down around their neck. And 5% are wearing them right.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                      The last person who needs a moderator is Cronenberg. Hope Alexander keeps quiet and just lets the man do his thing.
                      Pleasantly surprised to say that Alexander did a relatively good job moderating. Talkative enough to engage Cronenberg without being intrusive. Once upon a time on another forum I was quite a vocal critic of the DVD extras Alexander did back when he was EIC of Fangoria. It also somehow works for the commentary that Cronenberg happens to be quite sick during recording, sounding stuffed & droopy.

So... question for the forum: What do you make of the fact that Cronenberg still maintains that Dan o'Bannon ripped off the ALIEN chestburster from SHIVERS? His main "proof" of this is that his good friend John Landis claimed he heard Dan O'Bannon say that he'd seen SHIVERS.

It's one thing to say "this might have been an influence, consciously or unconsciously," but personally I'm quite weary of certain full-blown plagiarism accusations.

[OT: The one I'm most tired of is that BLAIR WITCH supposedly "ripped off" CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST. The BLAIR WITCH filmmakers stated in a very good Rue Morgue interview that their main "found footage inspiration" was 70's cryptozoology footage/documentaries such as THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK. They hadn't been that aware of Deodato's film and only watched it after the completion & release of BLAIR WITCH.]

Comment

Originally posted by Curwen View Post
                        So... question for the forum: What do you make of the fact that Cronenberg still maintains that Dan o'Bannon ripped off the ALIEN chestburster from SHIVERS? His main "proof" of this is that his good friend John Landis claimed he heard Dan O'Bannon say that he'd seen SHIVERS.

It's one thing to say "this might have been an influence, consciously or unconsciously," but personally I'm quite weary of certain full-blown plagiarism accusations.
                        I'd agree. It's fair to say the influence is there but I don't know that the scene is close enough to count as a rip off.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Curwen View Post
                          Pleasantly surprised to say that Alexander did a relatively good job moderating. Talkative enough to engage Cronenberg without being intrusive. Once upon a time on another forum I was quite a vocal critic of the DVD extras Alexander did back when he was EIC of Fangoria. It also somehow works for the commentary that Cronenberg happens to be quite sick during recording, sounding stuffed & droopy.

[OT: The one I'm most tired of is that BLAIR WITCH supposedly "ripped off" CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST. The BLAIR WITCH filmmakers stated in a very good Rue Morgue interview that their main "found footage inspiration" was 70's cryptozoology footage/documentaries such as THE LEGEND OF BOGGY CREEK. They hadn't been that aware of Deodato's film and only watched it after the completion & release of BLAIR WITCH.]
                          I remember seeing BLAIR WITCH at the cinema in '99, and was fairly convinced the filmmakers were riffing on CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST when Heather Donohue went for a piss in the woods. I don't buy their claims that they only saw Deodato's film after the release of BWP, but then don't see their riffing on its aesthetic as an issue. That one always seemed like a case of the lady protesting too much. The pseudo-documentary wasn't invented by Deodato, anyway - MEDIUM COOL, anybody?

But re: the SHIVERS/ALIEN connection. Far too nebulous. The idea of something unearthly gestating in the human body is such a primeval thought that I doubt that O'Bannon would have needed to see SHIVERS to come up with that concept. And even if he did, that does not de-legitimise ALIEN... imo, of course.
                          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

The Veston Blu-ray is on sale for $8.50 on Amazon right now for a limited time.
                            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

There's a German UHD release slated for June.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0C145HHJV
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Walmart exclusive steelbook release coming 3/5/24.

Name:	415175232_859005919520654_7821197120742657593_n.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	450.1 KB
ID:	425562

Name:	415199158_859005949520651_896436738315195661_n.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	328.1 KB
ID:	425561
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment