The Witchcraft Series (1988-2008)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Witchcraft Series (1988-2008)

I'm curious to know if anyone here has seen any of the films in this, the longest running (I think) directed to video horror series with a whopping total of 13 entries. Pretty much universally hated this series doesn't seem to have any sort of cult following yet 13 films managed to get made. I have to admit to having a bit of an unhealthy relationship with this series. Feel free to call me uptight but I have mixed feelings on the whole "celebrating" bad movies thing. Having said that, when it comes to Witchcraft, I can't help myself, they're just too damned fun.

My curiosity with this series began when I noticed the box covers, which I confess I found rather enticing, in every video store I went too back in the day as literally every store had the films. I had basically seen all the other major franchises and got more and more curious the more I would look at the tapes. I became even more so when a new one would arrive every year so finally one day I binged and got them all. Of course the thought of "Hey, what if these suck?" popped in my head and after tracking down what little info was available at the time regarding the films that possibility became ever more pronounced and I soon found out for myself.

I think anyone with just a small amount of knowledge of the series knows its disastrous reputation and that nudity eventually became the main focus. As the series went on, the budgets kept getting lower and lower with the series eventually going the shot on video route which only made the flaws that more noticeable. As much as these films misfire in terms of technical filmmaking, I must say I had a blast following the saga of franchise hero Will Spanner, warlock attorney and in all honesty, I'd much rather watch one of these films than another classic being remake raped or lazy found footage movie number 2387389473438. Stupid as they are there's no pretense to them whatsoever. Sex and Satan baby!
    Tom Clark
    Last edited by Tom Clark; 05-18-2014, 07:31 PM.
    LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Well, I've seen them all. I must admit to being a fan of the ones starring Landon Hall and Stephanie Beaton for pretty obvious reasons. Beaton is actually a pretty bad actress (and Hall only slightly better) but just looking at them.... I think it was in WITCHCRAFT 10 where Beaton's clothes must have been a couple of sizes too small. Almost makes me want to watch them again just thinking about them. Yeah, the early ones were more serious and if I remember the first one had no or almost no nudity in it. Later they jumped on the "erotic thriller" mode and added the nude scenes and it seem to have increased with each volume.

There's an overview of the series here:

http://trashcity.org/BLITZ/BLIT1384.HTM

Ah, Landon Hall, I wonder whatever happened to her.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas Wood View Post
      I must admit to being a fan of the ones starring Landon Hall and Stephanie Beaton for pretty obvious reasons. Beaton is actually a pretty bad actress (and Hall only slightly better) but just looking at them.... I think it was in WITCHCRAFT 10 where Beaton's clothes must have been a couple of sizes too small.
      The 9th one Bitter Flesh is the one with Landon Hall. That's when they started shooting on video. To make it look even more awkward scenes from part 6 that were shot on film were spliced in during the opening credits.

Beaton actually can act when giving the right material. She was the lead in a film called The Evilmaker (2000) and is really good in that. Despite some shortcomings that film is pretty fantastic and far more ambitious than most films with that low a budget even attempt to be.

Comment

Bitter Flesh was my introduction (I think I saw part 3 or 4 many, many years later) and it was a tape my dad bought from a guy selling bootlegs and he genuinely was not aware that it was a softcore flick. Which was a great discovery for me. Other than seeing titties at 10 or 11 years old the movies are worthless.

I guarantee you that that's how they were popular. Kids would rent them for titties and parents or store owners would be none the wiser just assuming it's a typical horror flick.
        Alex K.
        Last edited by Alex K.; 09-10-2016, 05:05 PM.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I saw a few of these, but I can't recall which when I was much younger (12-16) all rentals from my local Video Library. One of them was labeled an 18+ rental, and so on my 18th birthday to finish off watching every movie in their horror, cult, and sci-fi sections, I rented every film marked 18+ including Witchcraft 7.
          EuroCultAV Reviews

Comment

Seen 10,11,12 and 13. 11 is the best of those 4.

Comment

Watched the first one upon its VHS release...was crap.

Then I rented this ....can't think why..........

And after that...I learned my lesson!

Comment

If you're going to watch just one film from this series, make it part 5 Dance With the Devil as you'll pretty much get what the franchise is all about without having to actually watch all 13 films. But also for the fact Ronnie James Dio lookalike David Huffman as the devil's disciple Cain gives the most over the top and quotable performance in the entire series.

"It is the SIXTH day of the SIXTH month of the SIXTH year since I last appeared!"

I dare say Nicole Sassaman who plays Cain's servant is the hottest to appear in one of these movies. She's a wicked successful interior designer now. There is absolutely no sane reason why I should know this information yet I do. It is what it is.

Comment

I think I've seen a couple of these, but the only one I remember was Witchcraft VI: The Devil's Mistress and it was....ok. Still, I suppose there's a certain nostalgia attached to these, at least when it came to found nudity on Showtime or Cinemax!

Comment

Originally posted by Scyther View Post
                    Still, I suppose there's a certain nostalgia attached to these, at least when it came to found nudity on Showtime or Cinemax!
                    That's basically where I'm coming from these days when it comes to this series, remembering seeing all tapes in literally every video store I went to back in the good ol days. I actually don't recall ever seeing a Witchcraft flick on late night cable though.

Comment

Well, someone change the thread title. They're doing not one, not two but THREE more because why the fuck not?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Clark View Post
                        Well, someone change the thread title. They're doing not one, not two but THREE more because why the fuck not?
                        HUH WHAT?!??! Where did you hear this? I am one of the few I know that is a fan of this series of films.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
                          HUH WHAT?!??! Where did you hear this? I am one of the few I know that is a fan of this series of films.
                          Well legendary dirt merchant Dave Sterling made the announcement in February and production started today. Not sure if they're filming all three at once or just one at a time but Sterling definitely did say there's going to bee three more.

Comment

Forgot about this thread but Kasey Poteet is currently filming at least one in I think North Carolina. She also mentioned that they're doing 3 at the same time. (Kasey Poteet also uses the name "Diana Prince" in, er "educational" films).

Comment

Source.

"According to the official Witchcraft Facebook page, Witchcraft 14: Angel of Death, Witchcraft 15: Blood Rose, and Witchcraft 16: Hollywood Coven are all on their way! The only question… who's watching these movies?!? Anyone? Is there some raging rabid fanbase salivating for more?

Directed by David Palmieri, Witchcraft 14: Angel of Death, Witchcraft 15: Blood Rose, and Witchcraft 16: Hollywood Coven star Molly Dougherty, Noí«l VanBrocklin, Berna Roberts, and Leroy Castanon.

The films were shot over a three-week period. No synopses are available to this time."
                              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                              X