No announcement yet.

Predator Trilogy Blu-ray Release Coming In May

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Predator 2 was shit when it first came out. Now I think its pretty entertaining shit. Doesn't hold a candle to the original.

Comment

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
      I thought Predator 2 was shit when it first came out. Now I think its pretty entertaining shit. Doesn't hold a candle to the original.
      Predator 2 was a brilliant move after the first. The first movie's central mechanic was "What the hell is hunting these guys?" Of course, once you answer that question, doing it again would have been a shitty sequel. 2 avoided the problem by making it "You know what is hunting everyone, so how the hell are THESE guys going to deal with it?" It made a different-feeling movie that managed to be in tune with the original and equal it for quality.

Robocop 2 was dumbed-down, sanitized garbage that should never have been made.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        I saw P2 in the theater first run. Loved it the, still love it now. Never understood the hate for it. I think it's just the fact that Arnold isn't in it that gets people irked.
        It comes down to that and the setting being a city. But we all know how well that worked out when they returned to the jungle. Even though I grew to like Predators (3) it's definitely not up to par with the first two.
        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
          Robocop 2 was dumbed-down, sanitized garbage that should never have been made.
          It may have been dumbed-down, but I wouldn't call it sanitized; I still think it's one of the sleaziest and most mean-spirited movies to ever come out of Hollywood. Plus, it was a summer blockbuster aimed at pre-teens!
          Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
            It may have been dumbed-down, but I wouldn't call it sanitized; I still think it's one of the sleaziest and most mean-spirited movies to ever come out of Hollywood. Plus, it was a summer blockbuster aimed at pre-teens!
            I don't think Robocop 2 was aimed at Tweens per se, I think they cast a child as one of the villains as a subversive act. Trying to be shocking (which worked, Roger Ebert got on his moral soapbox over the casting) and throw the audience for a loop.

Originally posted by Mark Tolch View Post
            I saw the first one in theatre, second one on VHS. I think that the second one was an R, so i couldn't get in. I have to admit that I dig it, but the first one is a masterpiece of 80's awesome. No film could follow that up.

Originally posted by Roderick View Post
            I agree that Predator is a pretty perfectly executed film. Very fun film of course. But, like Alien and Aliens, it's a really solid example of structure and setup.

Predator 2 is a fun followup that -while not being as perfectly executed- still manages to hit all the notes. The opening action sequence is top notch for example.
            Alex K.
            Last edited by Alex K.; 06-27-2017, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
              I don't think Robocop 2 was aimed at Tweens per se, I think they cast a child as one of the villains as a subversive act. Trying to be shocking (which worked, Roger Ebert got on his moral soapbox over the casting) and throw the audience for a loop.
              I dunno, take a look at this TV ad:

The way the kid says "It's Robo!" is pretty sly.
              Matt H.
              Last edited by Matt H.; 06-27-2017, 08:48 PM.

Comment

That's advertising and that doesn't represent what the filmmakers intended. By that logic you could say Drive was supposed to be Fast and the Furious judging by this one trailer:

Comment

I'm not really seeing FAST AND FURIOUS there - I think that trailer lets you know it's going to be a hard-edged, violent movie.

That ROBOCOP 2 trailer makes it look like a Marvel movie.

Comment

Going from battling the MPAA and having to cut several minutes of footage to get a hard R vs only getting an R because of language is pretty sanitized.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post
                      Going from battling the MPAA and having to cut several minutes of footage to get a hard R vs only getting an R because of language is pretty sanitized.
                      Um, have you seen the movie recently?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                        Trying to be shocking (which worked, Roger Ebert got on his moral soapbox over the casting) and throw the audience for a loop.
                        Here's the excerpt from Ebert's review:

"Cain's sidekicks include a violent, foul-mouthed young boy, who looks to be about 12 years old but kills without remorse, swears like Eddie Murphy, and eventually takes over the drug business. I hesitate to suggest the vicious little tyke has been shoehorned into this R-rated movie so that the kiddies will have someone to identify with when they see it on video, but stranger things have happened."

I think that's a perfectly reasonable observation. It's just Ebert's typical cynicism about Hollywood.

Comment

Here's the excerpt from Ebert's review:

"Cain's sidekicks include a violent, foul-mouthed young boy, who looks to be about 12 years old but kills without remorse, swears like Eddie Murphy, and eventually takes over the drug business. I hesitate to suggest the vicious little tyke has been shoehorned into this R-rated movie so that the kiddies will have someone to identify with when they see it on video, but stranger things have happened."

I think that's a perfectly reasonable observation. It's just Ebert's typical cynicism about Hollywood.
                          Well, it was around the time of Robocop 2 that the Marvel comic book started up, and the Kenner toy line was in full swing...

Comment

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-predator-plot-jake-busey/

Comment

Plot details: http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3...acks-predator/

Comment

I hate to say it but this didn't get me excited. This is a bad trailer.

Comment

Working...
                                X