Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas Chainsaw Massacre - Restored!

From Fangoria:

The new CHAINSAW shows at SXSW next Monday, March 10 at 9:30 p.m., with details of this summer's theatrical rerelease to be announced in the coming months. EW unveiled the poster created by artist Jason Edmiston to mark the event, which you can also see below. Here's all the info courtesy of MPI/Dark Sky Films, which is behind the restoration:

“The new version of the film will be released in theaters this summer with a brand new 4K transfer, roughly four times the resolution of today's more commonly used 2K for cinema. This is the only transfer of THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE to go back to the original 16mm A/B rolls, the actual film that rolled through the cameras.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TEXASCHAINSAWRESTOREDNEWS3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	364089

There's an interview with Hooper discussing all of this here.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

I guess that's good news for anyone who didn't snag the last blu-ray before it went OOP.

Comment

I was under the assumption that the previous restoration was taken from the 16mm A/B rolls, but obviously not. Still, nice to see it getting the treatment it deserves. I've never properly clicked with the original TCM, must go back to it sometime.

Comment

I own the original Blu, but color me excited it for a theatrical release. Also, that poster is definitely unique.

Comment

A little bit more on the release here. Audio has been remixed in 7.1.
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Another Hooper interview here.

Dark Sky said this on twitter:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	345472
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Wow! Isn't this about the 3rd or 4th time it's been restored this century? How much better can it be for a film shot on 16mm? Wasn't the inherent shittiness in film quality that made it notorious to begin with? By the time they finish with it, it'll end up looking like the remake!!

I got the UK version of the last BR and it looks pretty shmicko. I guess it's triple dip time!

Comment

My copy is a beat to shit digital bootleg with lots of VHS damage. Definitely my preferred way to watch the film and I think I'll stick with that for the time being.
                "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
                  My copy is a beat to shit digital bootleg with lots of VHS damage. Definitely my preferred way to watch the film and I think I'll stick with that for the time being.
                  Mine too..Part of the deal with TCM was that it WAS shitty looking...raw and gritty...This is the whole dealbreaker with lots of Blu stuff.....Shit don't need to look that pristine and "artifiical"...unless it was MEANT to look that way....Hell, cinema prionts were beat up to death for MOST movies I saw in my youth..all part of the experience....

Comment

It's funny, I watched the Dark Sky disc not that long ago...and TCM annoyed the hell out of me. :) I may have officially seen it far too many times.

Comment

I still need to get caught up and buy Arrow's set for TCM2.
                      It's all in the reflexes.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian Bates-Hardy View Post
                        I still need to get caught up and buy Arrow's set for TCM2.
                        I actually prefer part 2 over part one......I know I know...the haters gonna come out of the woodwork now......but I just never really "got" Texas 1....I think because I watched it in the mid 80's...after seeing stuff like EVIL DEAD etc etc...Just didnt seem that great.....The CHARACTERS were great, the atmosphere, the set up ...but, the dinner scene and what came after kinda dwindled my interest......

Comment

The dinner scene is exactly where I started getting annoyed, after originally being annoyed by stupid fucking dickhead Franklin. Whatsherface screaming and screaming and screaming, and the hammering taking forgoddamever.....no patience these days, I tell ya.

Comment

Originally posted by sukebanboy View Post
                            I actually prefer part 2 over part one......I know I know...the haters gonna come out of the woodwork now......but I just never really "got" Texas 1....I think because I watched it in the mid 80's...after seeing stuff like EVIL DEAD etc etc...Just didnt seem that great.....The CHARACTERS were great, the atmosphere, the set up ...but, the dinner scene and what came after kinda dwindled my interest......
                            Actually I agree with you. TCM Part 2 is my favorite of the series and my second favorite Tobe Hooper movie after Lifeforce.
                            It's all in the reflexes.

Comment

I saw part 2 first and prefer it to the original as well. Bes uset of a chainsaw as phallic symbol in the history of cinema.
                              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                              X