The Sentinel (1977)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sentinel (1977)

NSM Records will be releasing Michael Winner's The Sentinel on Blu-ray on 12/6/13!

Source!

Click image for larger version

Name:	SAd7BU5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	363807

Extras:

* Film intro by Director Michael winner
    * Audio commentary with Director Michael winner (without German UT)
    * Original trailer
    * Lobby Cards
    * Filmographies
    * Image galleries
    * Trailer
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

The Sentinel (1977)

Great news! What a massive guilty pleasure it is. I like the cover art too.
    Clive Smith
    noodle doodle
    Last edited by Clive Smith; 07-31-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

A better look at the packaging.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BYb3xMDCMAEYHQ6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	344638
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The commentary on this is awesome.

Listen... as Winner reveals the producer railroaded him into casting Chris Sarandon as the lead, over Martin Sheen, and then during the rushes asked Winner who the 'Greek waiter' was. (It's a bit like that old chestnut about the producers of CANNON mistaking William Conrad for Robert Conrad and then, during the screening of the pilot, asking who that 'fat man' was and why he was taking the lead role.)

Marvel... as Winner talks about the one night stand he had with a starlet who, he says, went on to much bigger things, and reveals that he fell out of bed.

This is why I listen to audio commentaries. If only they were all as much fun as this one.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Another tidbit from the commentary: the photography in the film was by Terry O'Neill! I didn't know this before but thought I recognised O'Neill's style and always assumed the photographs were shot by a crew member aping O'Neill's approach.

Winner discusses the rumour that Burt Lancaster and Rock Hudson went to a gay party with 333 US Marines, and claims that he imagines that if Lancaster were still alive, he would call Winner and say, 'Did you see what they wrote about me? They say there were 333 US Marines, but there were only 310'.

This commentary is phenomenally entertaining.
          Paul L
          Scholar of Sleaze
          Last edited by Paul L; 07-30-2014, 05:27 PM.
          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

Damn, I need to get a region free player. Sounds awesome, thanks Paul.

Comment

Michael Winner was definitely a one-off...a straight talking eccentric with strong opinions....Made some great movies too!!!

Comment

The Sentinel (1977)

Yeah, that sounds a hoot. Haven't laid down on it yet - a bit steep.

Comment

It's a great commentary but I feel he's even more entertaining on THE NIGHTCOMERS track, Too bad he did not record more!
                  https://rosalbaneri.blogspot.com/

Comment

Shout! Factory just announced this for blu release this summer.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I always thought this movie was really creepy. I remember the first time I watched it being really spooked at night by the image of the priest walking past a door in the background in one scene.
                      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                        Shout! Factory just announced this for blu release this summer.
                        Of course they did. I just paid $30 for the import last month. The packaging sucks too. I might be interested in Shout's just to have a case that will let me remove the disc without a fight.

Comment

Me too - but I like the mediabook.

Comment

I'm sure this new Scream Factory release will not be better than the German disc which I own. I'll pass.

Comment

Never liked this one. Has some fine imagery with the father and the freakshow at the end but it came off as way too preachy. It's probably because I'm an Atheist. But even still, I'd say it was just okay.
                              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Working...
                              X