The Uninvited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Uninvited

Watch this last night by way of the new Criterion Blu-ray, quite a nice disc. It's one of those movies that I saw years back but which I didn't remember very well. Certain scenes seemed very familiar, others not so much. I enjoyed this. While I think some of the comedy feels out of place and the ending is a little bit rushed, there's a TON of atmosphere here and that, coupled with some good acting from pretty much everyone involved, makes this work. The scene where Milland comes back home and first hears the woman crying through the night is pretty eerie and although I know some complain about the 'reveal' at the end where the manifestations occur, I felt that the effects used to accomplish that were actually pretty impressive and that those scenes were also fairly creepy.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

I'd like to see this one.
    "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

I simply love this film. I don't mind the small touches of comedy, they don't get in the way of the scares and are just part of the movie's charm for me. THE UNINVITED was one of the earliest ghost films that doesn't "cheat" or explain away the hauntings via some other cause than the supernatural. Man, Gail Russell was simply stunning looking in this film, and is also terrific in her role. Love the small touches, like the dog not wanting to go in certain places...and the nighttime sounds. I've had this one via a TCM recording, then the import dvd, and now the Criterion blu, I'm saving that for one night this week. I think I first saw it way way back on AMC, when they were the only channel running classic films without commercials. By the way, the Dorothy Macardle novel is also worth tracking down.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Director Lewis Allen and Gail Russell made another supernatural film the year after THE UNINVITED - THE UNSEEN. She doesn't play the same character or anything like that, and it seems like every review rates it much lower than THE UNINVITED, but it was co-scripted by Raymond Chandler...I've never seen it but I sure would love to. Too bad Criterion couldn't add it on as even a standard def bonus on the Blu-ray. Has it had a release anywhere?

Comment

Nope. Not even on vhs. This was one of the Paramount films that Universal bought and buried. It's not really a haunted house story, it leans more toward humor than The Uninvited and it's nowhere near as good. As a mystery it's just ordinary, although there is some Raymond Chandler wit in evidence. Herbert Marshall and Joel McCrea should have switched roles. I love watching Gail Russell and I've gathered all but two of her unreleased films on DVD-R.

Between The Uninvited and The Unseen she made one other film for director Lewis Allen, Our Hearts Were Young and Gay (1945) which is also buried.

Click image for larger version

Name:	OurHeartsWereYoungAndGay-1944-Paramount-three.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	344587

Well-writ review at the other site, Ian.
          "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
          - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Yes, I've wanted to see OUR HEARTS WERE YOUNG AND GAY for a long time too. Lots of connections to THE UNINVITED in addition to Russell and Allen's involvement, it was based on a book by Cornelia Otis Skinner, who played the part of the imposing Miss Holloway in THE UNINVITED. I know the book is about her travels in Europe. That film had a sequel too, that also starred Russell - OUR HEARTS WERE GROWING UP. Diana Lynn, so good in THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK among others, is also in both films with Gail Russell. I'll watch her in most anything too. Too bad these films are so obscure.

Comment

I hate The Unseen:

It's not going to suck itself...

Comment

I don't need to double dip, I'm happy with the CC release, but the packaging on this French Blu-ray.... dang.

https://www.amazon.fr/Uninvited-fala...bluraycom05-21

Name:	81YfSSIT+8L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	350569
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Coming from Imprint in May!

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	29