No announcement yet.

Slumber Party Massacre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to kick myself for not getting that disc with 2 and 3 on it. I finally watched 2 for the first time on Prime the other day. Looks like I had a lucky escape all these years.
    I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

Coming 2/21/23.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FjN9Z3VWIAADkI5.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	405671
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by agent999 View Post
        I used to kick myself for not getting that disc with 2 and 3 on it. I finally watched 2 for the first time on Prime the other day. Looks like I had a lucky escape all these years.
        Part 2 is easily my favourite of the series.
        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post

Part 2 is easily my favourite of the series.
          It's kind of a love-it-or-hate-it movie. Some people dig the camp, some don't.
          Darcy Parker
          Last edited by Darcy Parker; 12-05-2022, 03:45 PM.

Comment

SPM is possibly my favorite 80's slasher so I've down for this release. So glad I didn't spring for the steelbook. I already own enough copies of these films.

I've tried dozens of times to like SPM2 and I'll try again but I really hate it. The killer is awesome and I dig the camp. The problem I have is that it takes almost an hour before the killing starts and it's one the most chaste slashers of the era. Two of the girls have done nudity before (one is a Playboy Playmate) and yet they stay covered up. And Crystal Bernard takes a bath with her bra on. It's not befitting the original which is shame because I love the rockabilly killer and that guitar. IMO, the sequel to SPM is Sorority House Massacre 2 and it desperately needs an HD release.

I've only seen SPM3 a few times. The first time I hated it, but it gets better each time. Properly set expectations can make it worthwhile.
            Jason C
            Last edited by Jason C; 12-06-2022, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason C View Post
              SPM is possibly my favorite 80's slasher so I've down for this release.
              Meh. I think it's wildly overrated, both in terms of its cleverness and its kills. Ugly girls too.

Comment

Meh. I think it's wildly overrated, both in terms of its cleverness and its kills. Ugly girls too.
                Ugly? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Andree Honore,

Robin Stille

​

Brinke Stevens in her prime

NSFW
                [SPOILER] [/SPOILER]

Jean Vargas rockin' the double denim

Jason C
                Last edited by Jason C; 12-06-2022, 06:07 PM.

Comment

You had me at "Brinke Stevens in her prime."

Actually, I've seen the entire trilogy, and I only really liked the first. The sequels were simply badly acted retreads. I think because all three were directed by women that this explains a lack of female nudity, for the most part. The first director had some nudity at the start, then there isn't any more (if I recall right). The lead in part 2 taking a bath with her bra on reminds of Mareen Jensen in Deadly Blessing taking a bath in a black bikini. Of course, Wes Craven had a body double do some nudity prior to Jensen getting in the tub. Still, if you are looking for decent slashers that sort of tie-in to the first movie, check Jim Wynorski's Sorority House Massacre II and Hard to Die.

Comment

Brinke Stevens is in the movie for two minutes.

Comment

Also love that you're staring at the repair lady's ass when her character is obviously there to represent female equality. Classic.

Comment

Brinke Stevens is in the movie for two minutes.
                        Brinke Stevens is in the film for 10 minutes (of an 80 minute film) and it 's not insignificant. She's absolutely stunning in the shower scene with plenty of long looks at her gorgeous body. Her stalking/death scene lasts 5 minutes. It's well shot and provides a lot of tension.

And she's just one of the girls that I listed. Two of the lead girls aren't what I'd call classically beautiful, but none are ugly and I find quite a few of the women to be very nice looking. A few are quite stunning even.
                        Jason C
                        Last edited by Jason C; 12-07-2022, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason C View Post

Brinke Stevens is in the film for 10 minutes (of an 80 minute film) and it 's not insignificant. She's absolutely stunning in the shower scene with plenty of long looks at her gorgeous body. Her stalking/death scene lasts 5 minutes. It's well shot and provides a lot of tension.
                          Fair enough. I was sort of just pointing out that you were including minor characters in your collage of the girls in the movie. I mean, they didn't use any of the core slumberers on the cover art for a reason...

I'll give you Andree Honore, she's hot. I'm sure the girls would've been more typically hot if it was a Wynorski or a Ray directing as opposed to a female director who cared more about the acting than the looks.

Comment

Also love that you're staring at the repair lady's ass when her character is obviously there to represent female equality. Classic.
                            80's slashers are not high art so much of what makes a slasher great to any one person is based on nostalgia. What you happened to see in the theater or rented on VHS goes a long way in informing which films we will look past flaws to enjoy and which ones we'll judge harshly. So I wouldn't expect to change your mind. That said, I don't think you are being fair to SPM considering the genre and time it was made. The early 80's are full of cookie cutter slashers that either did nothing new or were so poorly made. SPM is not poorly made. It has some really terrific cinematography for a cheap film. And so many those interesting shots aren't just cool but are smart. Shots like when Diane is killed in the garage where the camera is shooting between the killer's legs and drill is lowered and starts spin as she screams. It's really cool and there are plenty of 80's slashers that don't do anything that interesting. SPM is also delivers more nudity/exploitation elements than most of its peers as well. And while certainly subjective, I'd argue that there is a decent amount of character development and the victims aren't just a bunch of a-holes that you can't wait to see murdered. I find my self hitting FFW on the remote during a lot of the stalking scenes in slashers, but I find the stalking in SPM to be very compelling. There is also this unique element of female empowerment in the film that makes repeat viewings more interesting. I love when films have jarring changes in tone or do something unexpected. So the odd portrayal of weak boys and strong women mixed with the one of the most "male gaze-ist" cameras adds a layer of WTF that I find very compelling.

And I am a pig. It's rare that a slasher doesn't have a decent tit shot or two. But its very rare to find a slasher that even bothers get some quality shots of a beautiful female ass. SPM is in cinema's Ass Hall of Fame with that shot of Brinke in the shower and Jean's double denim.
                            Jason C
                            Last edited by Jason C; 12-07-2022, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Fair enough. I was sort of just pointing out that you were including minor characters in your collage of the girls in the movie. I mean, they didn't use any of the core slumberers on the cover art for a reason...

I'll give you Andree Honore, she's hot. I'm sure the girls would've been more typically hot if it was a Wynorski or a Ray directing as opposed to a female director who cared more about the acting than the looks.
                              That's a good point. Andree Honore is the only one on the cover because, ya she is hot one of the core group. We did Wynorski's version of SPM in Sorority House Massacre 2, which I love. And the girls in SHM2 are much hotter...and bustier :)

Comment

Well said. I was joking about staring at the repair lady's ass, though. It was an attempt at irony, considering what these films are supposed to represent to some people (namely feminism) which I've always found a bit of a stretch. It may have been intended as some kind of feminist statement, but it doesn't come across well at all.

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was accusing you of being a pig. You're a dude and I'm a dude and we both know that we'd bang every girl that's appeared in the entire SPM franchise if given the chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X