• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BRIDES OF DRACULA/EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN Blu-rays

Screen grab time!!!

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/08/23/the-...tein-review/2/

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/08/23/the-...nstein-review/
    Lalala76
    Last edited by Lalala76; 08-23-2013, 07:25 PM.

Looks better than I expected, though to be fair I did not expect very much. And of course the aspect ratio appears to be wrong.

Comment

From what I have heard the ratio is definitely wrong. However, as the feedback grows most seem to be giving the PQ thumbs up. That is of course until the doomsday merchants get their hooks in. Will see anyhow. As it stands it looks more promising than anticipated.

Comment

I had these on preorder ages ago but cancelled as this month is quite expensive (and I wanted to prioritise a few other new releases - FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER, DERANGED, etc). I'll no doubt snag these eventually, but it's likely to be in a month or so.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

this month is quite expensive
          Next month onwards for me is a prioritise nightmare. Thing is I want everything I have pre-ordered equally.

Comment

EVIL may have been DN'rd. BRIDES too much grain.

I await the backlash!!!
            Lalala76
            Last edited by Lalala76; 08-25-2013, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Ok. So I received my copy of Brides and Evil today. Having flicked through BRIDES, I can honestly say that that the verdict is still out on this one. The First thing you notice apart from the AR is the Grain. Its really apparent in the faces and it is a little distracting (a prime case of hd restorations highlighting the grain). The colours to me look fine and the transfer itself seems to be pretty sharp. I looked at the new dvd too, and the grain is less obvious but its still there. I went back and looked at my original Universal dvd and I cant make up my mind if it was worth buying the blu as with Upscaling, the original dvd appears to be the better option. I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

One thing is for sure, it is vastly superior over the previous UK dvd of BRIDES. I would definitely recommend it for Uk Hammer fans that don't already own it, but for those that do own either the R1 or the R2 German release then its harder to do so

Doesn't change the fact it is still one of my favourite films though.
              Lalala76
              Last edited by Lalala76; 08-27-2013, 10:50 AM.

Comment

Interesting to see peoples perceptions of the BRIDES blu ray, as more people receive their copies. Opinions vary from 1 star ratings to 5 star ratings. From a Uk perspective it seems that opinions vary due to which version people have owned or seen before. For those that owned the Badly cropped 4:3 Slam dunk media uk dvd, this Blu-ray is held with high regard. For those that have owned or seen the R1 or R2 Koch versions then they are disappointed or even scathing in their views. What is becoming more widely talked about and one of the main reasons for the disappointment, is ironically not really the 2:1 ratio but the horrendous amount of grain, which is something that I highlighted originally. There is no sure concensus whether its grain or noise. I guess the only way to form an adequate opinion is to see the BD for yourself.

There is a general feeling that EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN though, is a worthy upgrade over the R1 dvd. I am inclined to agree. Its not the best Blu-ray out there but It does look pretty good.

I however still haven't seen more than 1 official review of these titles, and even that was a pretty inadequate review imo.

Comment

Why would I buy a BRIDES OF DRACULA disc that is 2:1?

Where are the reviews?
                  Perhaps everybody is exhausted after debating Dracula / Horror of Dracula.
                  "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                  - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
                    Why would I buy a BRIDES OF DRACULA disc that is 2:1?

Where are the reviews?
                    Perhaps everybody is exhausted after debating Dracula / Horror of Dracula.
                    Believe me there is plenty of talk, just no official reviews. I have seen 2. The one that features the screengrabs and another that gives the release 5 stars but doesn't say anything about the Blu-ray itself.

Comment

Someones not very happy

" Although I pre-ordered this item at almost 2 pounds cheaper than current price, I've returned it as substandard. I value my money more than than this item (not the film: this transfer of it).
                      If several buyers do this, 'Final Cut' and other blu-ray producers may get the message.
                      'Final Cut:' they have some nerve to use that misnomer for their company. 'Final Cut' has connotations of 'definitive.' Whatever fine-detailed differences of opinion there are about this product and THE EVIL OF FRANKENSTEIN, I don't think a single buyer out there would be half-witted enough to call this version 'definitive.'
                      People are using it as a stop-gap until something reasonable comes along, pinning their hopes on a region-free USA transfer perhaps. 'Upgrading' your DVD copy with a stop-gap is, to me, like opening a high window, and throwing your money away smack-dab in the middle of a recession.
                      Between the complaints of lack of high definition (mine), and complaints of lack of decent range of extras (mine), and complaints of incorrect aspect ratio resulting in substantial cropping of the frame (practically everybody's), and several complaints of boosting as an amateur's way of compensating lack of detail and contrast, and complaints of lack of subtitles - - all of which leaving the impression of slap-dash cowboys who try to sound authoritative by calling the company 'Final Cut' - - I will back off purchasing future releases from this careless company until other reviewers, with something more than cheerleading on their minds, have debated their products.
                      Meanwhile, 'Final Cut' have spoiled the chances of a decent U.K. blu-ray release of this classic film for several years.
                      Given my respect for this film as the pinnacle of the output of a phenomenal period of British film history at Bray Studios, you can guess how angry I am. The sooner 'Final Cut' goes out of business (and I don't mean change its name to shirk a bad reputation and continue to rip off film fans) the better."

Comment

Where is that from?

Comment

The usual marketplace for rants and piss poor reviews. Be careful though as mines up there somewhere. I don't want that to come and bite me on the ass.

Comment

The mangling continues with relentless and inevitable regularity.
                            Are Hammer films cursed?
                            I'll content myself with the excellent transfers in Universal's Hammer Horror Series and MRA Entertainment's Hammer Horror Collection DVD sets until this mangling has run its course.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hammer-Universal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	344067

Click image for larger version

Name:	HammerHorrorCollection.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	344068
                            "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
                            - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

To be honest the guy that wrote that review was a very angry man, and his views were clouded. I had one of them heated debates with him, along with someone else who shared similar views to mine but it was going nowhere. He rated it 1 star, and in no way does it merit such a shite score, as the bottom line is that its kind of blown out of proportion now on other forums. Its actually ok, to a degree. The problem is, everyone is used to the original universal master, so anything else not using that master is going to be inferior. I like the colours on the Blu-ray and the fact that its HD,the AR doesn't realy bother me , but I cant get that obtrusive grain out of my head.

BTW I bought KOCH media Vampire circus bd, and although is soft in some places I actually though it was a decent job.
                              Lalala76
                              Last edited by Lalala76; 08-31-2013, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X