Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synapse Is Releasing Curtains... & Prom Night!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lousy news about Curtains, but hey, it'll still be a nice new transfer.

-----------------------------

From the Synapse FB page:

"It is with great sadness that I have to report some unfortunate findings regarding CURTAINS. I know a lot of you have asked about the "alternate" original version of CURTAINS, with the original director, ending, alternate death scenes and before some of the actors were replaced. Obviously, this version existed in some form, at some point, and we were very hopeful because many early tape elements from 1981-82 appeared on an inventory list I had received. Unfortunately, it seems that all the original 3/4" UMATIC work tapes of the original rough cut, and a few other edits have been ordered destroyed by whoever controlled the library a few years ago. All the original film elements for the original version are long gone from the vault, as well, with no clue as to where they went (it was over 30 years ago, after all). There was evidence of a 105 minute version from 1982, split onto two tapes... it was destroyed in 2009, along with outtakes and even the original TV spot elements. This kind of thing SICKENS me. The fact that there were tapes that contained additional footage all the way up to August of 2009, then unceremoniously chucked into the garbage, just makes be shake my head. The items were originally stored at Bonded Toronto, then someone ordered all the "obsolete" 3/4" UMATIC tape elements that were taking up space in the vault (and costing money) to be thrown out. The remaining elements were then moved to Iron Mountain Toronto. Neither Bonded, nor Iron Mountain now have these tapes. (sigh) I know this sort of thing is very common in the industry. License holders who have NO idea that these "obsolete" tape elements may hold a potential gold mine of material (or even a different version of a film they could exploit for profit) just toss it away like a used Kleenex. Anyway, just so you can see what was destroyed, Here is a rather long list. It is very despressing:
    3/4" CASSETTE MCLAVERTY #1 PART 1 OF 2, #82 - 03 FEB 22 1982, 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE MCLAVERTY #1 PART 2 OF 2 #82 - 03 FEB 22 1982, 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE PART 1 FINAL ROUGH CUT REEL 1 - 6 JULY 14 1982, 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE PART 2 FINAL ROUGH CUT REELS 1 - 6 JULY 14 1982, 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE PART 1 105 MIN #83 - 11C 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE PART 2 105 MIN #83 - 11C 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE DON'T PUT YOUR DAUGHTER ON STAGE BURNING PHOTOGRAPHS 15 MIN

3/4" CASSETTE PART 1 FEB 26 1981, 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE PART 2 FEB 26 1981, 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE FINAL ROUGH CUT PART 1 OF 2 JULY 14 1982, 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE FINAL ROUGH CUT PART 2 OF 2 JULY 14 1982, 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE MCLAVERTY #1 PART 1 OF 2 #82 - 03A FEB 22 1982, 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE MCLAVERTY #1 PART 2 OF 2 #82 - 03A FEB 22 1982, 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE PART 2 OF 2 90 MIN #82 - 15A 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE PART 1 OF 2 90 MIN #82 - 15A 1174'

3/4" CASSETTE SPOTS 1 - 5 ENG VERSION , MAY 24 1983 , 610'

1" VTR SUBMASTER SPOTS 3X :30 , 2X :10 267'

1" VTR EDITED MASTER TV SPOT 1 , 2 ENGLISH VERSION 531' MAY 24 1983

1" VTR EDITED MASTER 3X :30 SPOTS 531' FEB 16 1983

1" VTR EDITED MASTER 2X :10 SPOTS 531' FEB 23 1983

1" VTR MASTER ENGLISH VERSION TV SPOT 1 - 5 3170' MAY 24 1983

The treasure trove of footage and material these tapes probably held would've been a fantastic find for CURTAINS fans, and the horror community. All gone. Obviously destroyed by some person who had absolutely NO idea what they were getting rid of."

-----------------------------

It amazes me that archives would just flat out get rid of stuff without checking to see what it is first.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
      It amazes me that archives would just flat out get rid of stuff without checking to see what it is first.
      Really! If you're running a film storage archive and you chuck stuff without even taking a look out of curiosity to see what it is...you are in the wrong fucking line of work.

A real shame, that would have been fascinating to see. The whole backstory behind CURTAINS is in some ways more interesting than the film (which I like a lot and saw in the theater).
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
        Both storage facilities and major studios can be shocking when it comes to this sort of thing. All the original extraneous materials for Blade Runner (negative trims, mag tracks etc.) were scheduled to be junked, only thing that saved them was that someone forgot to add the final signature to some documentation. To be honest I'm not surprised that some storage archives would look at old tapes and say "What an obsolete format, may as well junk it!" Sadly, you could fill an entire thread with stories of the incredible stuff that's been casually chucked out over the years.

Still, to look on the bright side, at least decent elements exist for both Curtains and Prom Night. And sometimes something special will turn up, like with Dorm the Dripped Blood. It's just so gutting that this stuff existed so recently.

Comment

If you watch the Lawyer's Cut of that Monty Python documentary, it's pretty amazing that the only reason we have the show now is because somebody called Gilliam and said "Did you know that the BBC is scheduled to tape over all of the Flying Circus tapes?" Unbelievable.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
            Just rewatched PROM NIGHT for the first time in a long long time and I gotta say I was wrong, I really enjoyed it! Funny that when I was going through my manic dvd buying phase in the early to mid 2000's that I grabbed any classic slasher I could get my hands on but continually danced around (no pun intended) this flick. I'd even put it slightly above similar fare like TERROR TRAIN and HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME.

I'm gonna have to go back and reevaluate what else I may have missed.
            Hm, may have to rewatch it then. I saw it maybe 15 years ago and thought it was the letdown of the century. Especially compared to "Hello, Mary Lou: Prom Night 2"

Comment

Prom Night 2: Hello Mary Lou is better.
              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I used to rank the 4th PROM NIGHT as the best. It's the darkest and grittiest, especially in light of it being a 90's slasher. Yeah the 2nd is the most fun. Part 3 feels more like an ELM STREET sequel, for good or bad. Has part 3 ever been released uncut?

But I can't hate on part 1 anymore. It's a classic slasher and feels just right. The others might have more pizazz but the first one feels at home with the other early Canadian slashers. Not the best of the lot, but certainly not the worst.
                "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I don't think the first PROM NIGHT is top tier material but it's way better imo than the director's other slasher - HUMONGOUS. I hate the sequels to PROM NIGHT. Garbage.

Comment

Synapse Is Releasing Curtains... & Prom Night!

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                    I don't think the first PROM NIGHT is top tier material but it's way better imo than the director's other slasher - HUMONGOUS. I hate the sequels to PROM NIGHT. Garbage.
                    See how subjective this all can be? I think HUMONGOUS is pretty good - especially now that it has a DVD where you can see what the hell is going on.

Aa for the original PROM NIGHT lets just say I find it distinctly underwhelming. The sequel is aces in my book however.

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
                      See how subjective this all can be? I think HUMONGOUS is pretty good - especially now that it has a DVD where you can see what the hell is going on.

Aa for the original PROM NIGHT lets just say I find it distinctly underwhelming. The sequel is aces in my book however.
                      I agree with all of what you just said.

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post

Yes, it's all pick yer poison. I will say HUMONGOUS went from gutterball to mediocre slasher once I could actually see what was happening. It's never gonna be a fav of mine though.

Comment

Prom Night grew on me. My first watch of it 7 years ago on a shoddy dark VHS (Wendy's chase scene looked COMPLETELY different once I bought it on DVD) was so-so. But I watched it again and again, and I started to like it. I give it a... 7/10. Maybe 6.5 depends.

On Humongous, it's in my top 25 slasher films of all time. I love the characters, the setting, the mood. I still don't understand how it has a... 3.4/10 on imdb. It boggles my mind. I have no clue why people dislike it so much. Same with The Prey. And Girls Nite Out.

Comment

HUMONGOUS is a slasher movie?

Comment

...yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Boy View Post
                                On Humongous, it's in my top 25 slasher films of all time. I love the characters, the setting, the mood. I still don't understand how it has a... 3.4/10 on imdb. It boggles my mind. I have no clue why people dislike it so much. Same with The Prey. And Girls Nite Out.
                                The characters make more of an impression on me in PROM NIGHT and I'm a sucker for the school-set slashers. I'm a big fan of GIRLS NITE OUT too, hell of a creepy ending to that one. I have some love for THE PREY as well (saw it in the theater too), but it's a little too padded with nature footage to be top drawer stuff for me. I sure do wish someone would release it on disc though.

Yeah, I think HUMONGOUS is a slasher, w/o doubt.

Comment

Working...
                                X