• Show
Clear All

• the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) and its sequels

Click image for larger version

Name:	Night-1968.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	363490

This thread is only for discussion of the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968), DAWN OF THE DEAD (1978) and DAY OF THE DEAD (1985), not the remakes.

The Optimum blu, region B, released in 2008:

Name:	Night-Optimum.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	363488

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...F8&me=&seller=

The Network blu, region B, released 2009:

Name:	Night-Network.JPG
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	363489

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...F8&me=&seller=

I can't imagine why Night of the Living Dead hasn't been released on blu-ray yet in the USA.

Could someone who has seen one or the other of the U.K. editions please comment on them?

Is the transfer significantly better than the region 1 DVD's or about the same?
    Richard--W
    a straight arrow
    Last edited by Richard--W; 06-21-2013, 05:55 PM.
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Horace has the Japanese one which has the HD version of the transfer that was done for the Weinstein DVD release in the US. From what I understand, it's the best version available. I have the original Network disc, it's nothing to write home about. Maybe the 2009 version betters it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Some info here. And yeah, seems ridiculous we don't have a proper domestic Blu-ray of this one yet.
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I've got the Optimum disc, which is based on the Weinstein restoration, so should be the same as the Japanese disc that Horace has. There's some noticeable cropping, if you compare it with the Elite Millennium Edition, for example, but the step-up in detail is tremendous. (Some discussion about this transfer from Don May Jr here: http://z8.invisionfree.com/MHVF/inde...#entry11791103 . A caps-a-holic comparison of the Optimum Blu and the Elite ME DVD here: http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleich...ead&lossless=0 )

The Network Blu, which I've also seen but don't own, doesn't suffer from the cropping but is missing a few snippets of footage (due to print damage, IIRC). It's also a big step down in terms of picture quality: there's a lot of print damage, but even without this it's got some funky contrast issues.

I was concerned about the cropping on the Optimum disc until I bought it. I'm very happy with it, as in all other regards it's a solid upgrade from the Elite Millennium Edition, which to that date was the best version of the film that I owned. It's also quite cheap, and as an additional plus it has the 'One for the Fire' documentary as an 'extra'.
        Paul L
        Scholar of Sleaze
        Last edited by Paul L; 06-21-2013, 06:04 PM.
        'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
        'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I've got the Optimum bd, it's pretty gorgeous. That is, if you can deal with the occasional zoom/crop job that happened. Don May worked on this for the Weinsteins, for their dvd, and he stated back when this came out that this would be the version he would return to (regardless of the unexplained alterations and the versions he's worked on before). There's still room for growth, and I'd certainly welcome a new bd, scanned from the neg again, but it also needs to include a matted widescreen version as an alternative.

Comment

Always did wonder about the two bds. I obviously have read reviews but its good to hear it from people who own them. I never realised that the optimum version was an improvement over the millennium edition otherwise I may have bought the bd a long time ago. I was under the opinion that the millennium edition was still the superior version. Now Im tempted with the optimum bd, even though it appears to have issues still. But at least now I know.

Does anyone on this forum actually like the Savini version? Imo I actually think that if the original hadn't been made and the Savini version was the original, then it still works well with Dawn and Day. But then again I could quite happily sit and "pretend" that Fulci's Zombie is the start of it all, as that works equally as well with Dawn and Day. But that now makes me feel a bit nerdy!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
              Does anyone on this forum actually like the Savini version? Imo I actually think that if the original hadn't been made and the Savini version was the original, then it still works well with Dawn and Day. But then again I could quite happily sit and "pretend" that Fulci's Zombie is the start of it all, as that works equally as well with Dawn and Day. But that now makes me feel a bit nerdy!!
              I haven't seen it in ten years or more, but I love the Savini remake and don't fully comprehend the dislike that's been thrown in its direction. When it was first released, I approached it with some trepidation, expecting it to be less than mediocre, and found myself very satisfied with it. I'd love to see it again, although I held off from buying the US Blu-ray as it was quite expensive.
              'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

Comment

Currently $70 wtf!!!!

Comment

the original Night of the Living Dead (1968) and its sequels

As mentioned, I have the Japanese Blu and am thrilled with it. I paid a fortune at the time (like 50 dollars) - but I've never regretted it. It is my favorite movie of all time after all. I understand the Optimum is the same Weinsten/Don May Jr. transfer but you also get the 80+ minute most recent documentary "One More For The Fire" and the 2 group audio commentaries on the Japanese Blu.

Happinet's Blu has dropped to a dirt cheap $14.50 btw. Cd Japan's shipping costs have always been the only sticking point with them but if anyone can find another couple of things to pick up the NOTLD Blu is a terrific bargain.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/s/detailview.html?KEY=BIXF-23

Comment

Originally posted by Horace Cordier View Post
                    As mentioned, I have the Japanese Blu and am thrilled with it. I paid a fortune at the time (like 50 dollars) - but I've never regretted it. It is my favorite movie of all time after all. I understand the Optimum is the same Weinsten/Don May Jr. transfer but you also get the 80+ minute most recent documentary "One More For The Fire"
                    That documentary is on the Optimum disc too, Horace.

Comment

Originally posted by Lalala76 View Post
                      I love the Savini version. It goes good with DAY OF THE DEAD, the makup and overall production design are similar, IMO. I think more than any of the other films they feel like parts of the same universe.

I like that idea too that Fulci's ZOMBIE kicks everything off then follows into DAWN. I like that by doing that it gives a the zombie menace a bit of a classic voodoo zombie origin. At least in setting.
                      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

The original trilogy is amazing despite Night being a little dated. Come on, you know it's true, especially when Barbara goes into hysterics. But, an amazing series of films that are among the few zombie films that are epic in scope and are successful at it.

The new trilogy is dogshit. The sycophants seem to unanimously love Diary for some reason.
                        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                          The new trilogy is dogshit. The sycophants seem to unanimously love Diary for some reason.
                          I can't get passed LAND. Saw that in the theater and that was enough.
                          "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I think LAND works better than DAY.

Comment

Slap.
                              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Working...
                              X