Let Sleeping Corpses Lie VS Living Dead at Manchester Morgue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let Sleeping Corpses Lie VS Living Dead at Manchester Morgue

Which title works best for you? Which title is right?

Are they different edits or merely different titles?

I'm still watching the old Anchor Bay DVD from 2000. One of the very best living dead films; second only to Romero. Been meaning to get the new blu-ray but some reviews say it's waxy looking from too much DNR. And I think the supplements are different? Maybe this is one of those instances where the collector has to own both versions.
    The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue
    66.67%
    Let Sleeping Corpses Lie
    33.33%
    "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
    - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

It's a damn good film but the pacing doesn't lend it to very much re-watching. Grau's Code of the Hunt is another good forgotten Euo-Cult film.

I prefer the Let Sleeping Corpses Lie title myself. Both titles are ridiculous but the former is less so.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I've loved this film since I first saw it via the heavily censored UK VHS release in the late 1980s, and I regularly rewatch it. For me, the LIVING DEAD title is the one I use to refer to the film - but that's probably because of familiarity with it. (That's what the film's always been called over here.)

The different titles don't denote different edits - unless you factor in BBFC cuts to the UK VHS release/s (at least, post-VRA).

The Blu-ray is fine, for my money. There's a new 50 minute piece about the locations and new interviews with Lovelock and De Rossi. Where the original AB DVD was slightly cropped and too dark in some sequences (eg, the crypt scene, in which the action was almost impossible to discern), the Blu-ray corrects this. It has some issues, probably at the scanning stage, but the upgrade in detail and colour consistency mitigates this, in my eyes. It ain't perfect, but it'll do, and it's a definite upgrade over the DVD. It's reasonably priced too.
      'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
      'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

I have to pick Manchester Morgue as I'm English and live half an hour away from Manchester. So, just for that reason. By the way do you know that only the opening shots are Manchester, the rest are the lake District I think. I may have to watch the docu on it again.

Comment

I never saw the film until Anchor Bay came out with it, although I'd heard about it. It's one of the most striking horror films of the 1970s. Anchor Bay's releases where a renaissance for horror buffs in those days. I did a lot of blind buys of genre films I'd always been curious about just because I trusted the label. I had seen that creepy bit with Christina Galbo by the car under the logo for something or other; was it on the old Midnight Video tapes? or Luminous tapes? I didn't realize where the footage came from until I saw the scene in the Anchor Bay edition of LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE. Great creepy music.

Where can one pick up Grau's CODE OF THE HUNT? Is it on DVD somewhere?
          "I've been to college, but I can still speak English when business demands it."
          - Raymond Chandler, 1939.

Comment

I saw this at the DI under the title DON'T OPEN THE WINDOW (doubled with MADHOUSE ) and prefer the SLEEPING CORPSES title.
            "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Originally posted by Richard--W View Post
              Where can one pick up Grau's CODE OF THE HUNT? Is it on DVD somewhere?
              I don't believe it is. If you want a copy check Cinemageddon.
              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

The Synapse restoration of this will be debuting at Fantasia this year.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

And here's the full press release.

SYNAPSE FILMS RE-ANIMATES THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE WITH A NEW 4K RESTORATION

The Fantasia International Film Festival has announced that it will host the World Premiere of Synapse Films' 4K restoration of Jorge Grau's legendary zombie film THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE aka LET SLEEPING CORPSES LIE. The screening will take place at the J.A. de Sí¨ve Cinema on Saturday, July 27th at 11:55PM, with Synapse President Don May, Jr. in attendance. Synapse will be issuing the film in a new Blu-Ray edition in the coming months, but no further details are being released at this time.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Happy I never got around to picking up the Blue Underground Blu-ray. Or their DVD. Or Anchor Bay's DVD. How the in hell don't I own a copy of this.

Comment

Just voted in the old poll and picked The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue but when I first heard about this movie it was referred to as "Breakfast at the Manchester Morgue" and I always thought that title sounded best even though it's silly and I've never actually seen the movie released as that.

Comment

THE DEAD RISE LIKE NEVER BEFORE WHEN SYNAPSE FILMS BRINGS THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE TO BLU-RAY THIS SEPTEMBER!

A 3-DISC (1 BLU-RAY, 1 DVD & 1 CD) LIMITED STEELBOOKâ„¢ EDITION OF JORGE GRAU'S HORROR CLASSIC! ONLY 6000 UNITS PRODUCED!

“This is one of my favourite zombie films of them all; a genuinely chilling UK set horror...” - Edgar Wright. Director of Baby Driver and Shaun of the Dead

"[A] still-startling nightmare creation that was years ahead of its time." - Mitch Davis, Fantasia Film Festival

With its revolutionary mix of shocking-for-its-time violence and sociopolitical themes, George A. Romero's 1968 classic Night of the Living Dead quickly proved to be enormously influential with filmmakers around the world, and few were able to match its power like Jorge Grau's The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue. Mixing a strong environmental statement with unforgettably terrifying set pieces, Grau's film stands on its own as a horror classic, and now it's been restored to its horrifying glory by Synapse Films in an exclusive new Steelbookâ„¢ release!

A strange twist of fate brings two young travelers, George (Ray Lovelock, The Cassandra Crossing) and Edna (Christine Galbo, The House That Screamed), to a small town where an experimental agricultural machine may be bringing the dead back to life! As zombies infest the area and attack the living, a bull-headed detective (Academy Award® nominee Arthur Kennedy, Peyton Place) thinks the couple are Satanists responsible for the local killings. George and Edna have to fight for their lives, and prove their innocence, as they try and stop the impending zombie apocalypse!

The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (aka Let Sleeping Corpses Lie and Don't Open the Window) is a gory horror tale from Spanish director Jorge Grau and widely considered to be one of the best zombie films ever made. Beautifully restored in 4K from the original camera negative, Synapse Films presents the film for the FIRST TIME EVER on Blu-ray with the true original English theatrical mono mix and the real opening and closing credit sequences intact

SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE:

• Exclusive new 4K restoration from the original 35mm camera negative
                        • New 5.1 English stereo surround remix made exclusively for the Synapse Films release
                        • Two audio commentaries featuring authors and film scholars Troy Howarth, Nathaniel Thompson and Bruce Holecheck
                        • Restoration of the true original English language theatrical mono mix
                        • Jorge Grau - Catalonia's Cult Film King (89 mins.) - This extensive feature-length documentary explores the life and films of director Jorge Grau (BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE)
                        • The Scene of the Crime - Giannetto De Rossi in Discussion from Manchester (16 Mins.) (BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE)
                        • Giannetto De Rossi - Q&A at the Festival of Fantastic Films, UK (43 Mins) (BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE)
                        • Theatrical trailer, TV spots and radio spots
                        • Newly translated removable English SDH subtitles
                        • Liner notes booklet featuring writing from Spanish film scholar, Dr. Nicholas Schlegel
                        • Exclusive CD soundtrack of the haunting original score by Giuliano Sorgini
                        • Exclusive Steelbook™ artwork by Wes Benscoter
                        • Poster of Wes Benscoter's Steelbook artwork

The 6000 unit THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE Limited Collector's Edition Blu-ray Steelbookâ„¢ is available exclusively through the Synapse Films website at: www.synapse-films.com. The retail price is $49.95 ($43.95, plus $6.00 packing/handling fee) with a street date of September 1, 2020. Shipping to customers will commence on that date, or as soon as the release is received at Synapse Films. If they come earlier than the September 1 release date, they will ship to customers earlier.

All North American orders fulfilled and shipped via our San Francisco distributor, CAV Distribution. For questions regarding the shipping of your order in North America, please contact CAV Distribution via this email address: morgue@cavd.com. All international orders will be handled via the fine folks at DiabolikDVD (www.diabolikdvd.com).

This release of THE LIVING DEAD AT MANCHESTER MORGUE is REGION FREE.

Director: Jorge Grau
                        Starring: Ray Lovelock; Arthur Kennedy; Christine Galbo
                        Runtime: 93 minutes
                        Release Date: September 1, 2020
                        Language: English
                        MPAA Rating: Not Rated
                        Aspect Ratio: High-Definition 1080p (1.85:1) Widescreen (Blu)/Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1) (DVD)
                        Audio: DTS-HD MA 5.1 English Stereo Surround and Original English Mono (Blu) / Dolby Digital 5.1 English Stereo Surround and Original English Mono (DVD)
                        Format: Blu-ray/DVD/CD Combo
                        Region: 0
                        Item Number: SFD0198
                        UPC: 654930322192
                        Price: $49.95 ($43.95, plus $6.00 packing/handling fee)

Click image for larger version

Name:	LivingDead3Dsteelskew.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	358408

Name:	LivingDeadOcard3Dskew.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	358410

Name:	LIVINGDEADbeautyshot.jpg
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	358409
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I wonder how long it'll be till they release a UHD of this cult classic 🤔

Comment

Restored movie, the steelbook art is fantastic, and it is cool that they included the soundtrack. I'm definitely getting it.

Comment

Originally posted by fatboyslim142 View Post
                              I wonder how long it'll be till they release a UHD of this cult classic 🤔
                              The official word from Synapse: "there are no plans". Uh huh. This was what they said for Opera and Suspiria as well. Ugly business practice. I'd say a lot more but I think I'm the only person who has a problem with these little cult distributors these days.
                              "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Working...
                              X