Christine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christine

Ok, spent some time with the new Twilight Time Blu-ray last night, pretty impressed with the picture and lossless audio on it, they did a nice job. At any rate, I don't think I had seen this movie since it was out on VHS. I remember renting it as a kid and thinking that the tough guy with the switchblade was in fact John Travolta, haha. Dude looks a lot like him. At any rate, this one holds up well, at least for me. When you think about the concept - a car that can possess someone and kill people and regenerate - it's pretty dumb. But the movie makes it work - I haven't read the book, one of the few King novels from that era that I never bothered with, so I don't really know how it compares in that regard but Carpenter gets full credit for turning the story into something that really translates well to the whole movie going experience. Great use of music too. Awesome effects that still hold up well (if this were made today it'd be filled with lousy CGI) and it all moves at a good pace. Decent cast too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I liked this movie more than I remembered liking it, so hooray.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

It's a well done film. A testament to Carpenter's skill and it's probably the best killer car movie you could possibly make.
    "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Regular Show featured the second best killer car movie in the "Ello Gov'nor" episode. It was so good JJ Doom wrote a song about it.

Comment

I liked Christine more than I remembered, too. Even if it has the worst actor in it (whatever his name is from Back to School). The tough with the knife is a nice mix of Travolta and Danzig.

Comment

Christine

It's a pretty good movie of an awful novel. The book is one of King's worst from the height of his lost weekend cocaine years.

Comment

I didn't mind the novel. It had some flat spots and the switch between 1st and 3rd person was pretty strange but I liked it. I've never seen the movie but this trailer makes it look like they stuck to the story pretty closely and actually looks good enough that I wouldn't mind seeing the movie now.

You know what's wierd? Unless I missed it Stephen King is not mentioned in that trailer at all. Which is strange considering how huge a name he was at the time. Must have really pissed somebody off.
            Last edited by Dom D; 03-17-2013, 06:05 PM.
            "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
              You know what's wierd? Unless I missed it Stephen King is not mentioned in that trailer at all. Which is strange considering how huge a name he was at the time. Must have really pissed somebody off.
              They say, "From the mind that brought us Salem's Lot." Still, you would think they'd've dropped his name. Very interesting.

Comment

THE DEAD ZONE had just opened a couple of months before, so maybe they figured the Stephen King brand would just confuse people. "I already seen the Stephen King movie, let's go see the new Dirty Harry."

Comment

I remember liking CHRISTINE a lot when I was younger....So much so that for a few days after I was always looking over my shoulder when walking home at night!!!

i also seem to remember that it was one of those rare instances when i preferred the movie to the book....

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Casey View Post
                    I liked Christine more than I remembered, too. Even if it has the worst actor in it (whatever his name is from Back to School). The tough with the knife is a nice mix of Travolta and Danzig.
                    You think Keith Gordon is the worst? I fuckin' love his acting. He should be way more famous. Love him in De Palma's DRESSED TO KILL, and 1985's LEGEND OF BILLIE JEAN, and he was also great in one of the last episodes of MIAMI VICE http://miamivice.wikia.com/wiki/Leap_Of_Faith
                    www.cinemasewer.com

Comment

I thought David was fine in Christine. Good in DTK too.

Man, that scene where the car kills everyone at the gas station and then drives over Travoltanzig while it's all on fire? That's fucking awesome. I kept thinking about that scene this morning for some reason. Maybe because I wanted to drive a flaming car over the jerks jaywalking or maybe just cause it was rad. Who can say...
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Bougie View Post
                        You think Keith Gordon is the worst?
                        Yes. His performance in Back to School is enough to blank anything good he might do. When he tells Billy Zabka, "Let's get them." haha Terrible. Kid doesn't deserve to be a Melon.

Comment

Christine was never a big favorite of mine, but that's probably because I am not really a John Carpenter fan except for Halloween and Escape from New York and maybe The Fog. It's a decent enough film, and I have found myself wanting to revisit it (it's been over a decade since the last time), but I couldn't see myself watching it over and over so I passed on the Blu-ray and just got The Fury instead.

I personally think Keith Gordon was a really good actor though.
                          Ryan Clark
                          Last edited by Ryan Clark; 03-18-2013, 08:03 PM.

Comment

No love for John Stockwell? That guy cracks me up in everything he's in. Did a pretty good job with his film CAT RUN as well.

Comment

I thought the chemistry between John and him was one of the best parts of the movie, so color me as another one who loves this film. It could've entered much much more cheesier territory.

Comment

Working...
                              X