Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

DC will be publishing a prequel to this.

https://www.cbr.com/dc-horror-conjuring-3-prelude/
      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Let's start a pool on how many jump scares accompanied by an ear-piercing musical chord there will be?

The bidding starts at 5.

Comment

I've seen all of them, each one for free via HBO except the first two, which I saw in the theater. I'm sure I'll watch this one when it's free, too, even though I haven't liked any one of them enough to add it to my collection. For me, probably the best moment in any of these movies was during a scene (I think in ANNABELLE COMES HOME) when some character was watching The Dating Game and I noticed one of the contestants was Carolyn Stellar, who memorably portrayed "Lovely" in the movie THE DEVIL TIMES FIVE.
          VHS will never die!

Comment

Bloody Disgusting has a clip up from the new film.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/...-murder-video/
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I watched this on HBO Max last week. Like all the others in the Conjuring series/"universe," it had some memorable moments (particularly the early exorcism in the house), but overall was pretty forgettable. Of course, it includes a made-up story (and by "made up" I mean beyond the "devil made me do it" defense), this time about the the origin of David's/Arne's "possession," partly to get the Warrens more involved but also to spice up what is not a particularly exciting real-life incident. The murder itself almost seems incidental. I sort of liked that added story, but it would have succeeded better as a separate film rather than attached to this non-fiction event.

After I viewed this, I decided to rewatch THE DEMON MURDER CASE, the 1983 made-for-TV movie about the incident. All the names of characters have been changed. Andy Griffith plays the Ed Warren part, renamed "Guy Harris," and Kevin Bacon plays Arne Johnson, renamed "Kenny Miller" (the actor they have portray that character in the Conjuring film slightly resembles a young Kevin Bacon). Most of the "facts" (such that they are) are the same, but besides the absence of the underlying cause for the torment of David (called Brian here) and Arne, the biggest difference is how much of the movie the young boy's suffering takes up, including a lengthy scene inside of a Catholic church with several priests (most notably Eddie Albert) participating that features a failed attempt to drive the the demon out of him.

For me, the funniest aspect of the TV movie is the performance of the child actor, whose voice is dubbed over when the demon takes control, and that dub is provided by none other than Harvey Fierstein. The most bizarre change is that during the frenzy leading up to the landlord's murder, while the Conjuring film has Blondie's "Call Me" being blasted out the stereo speakers, the older movie has the much tamer "Waltzing Matilda" playing!

I'm surprised that no one put out THE DEMON MURDER CASE on disc to try to cash in on the release of the Conjuring movie, especially since - as I've mentioned before - it's never been on home video in the U.S. before.
              VHS will never die!

Comment

After ON THE BEACH, I hope never to hear "Waltzing Matilda" ever again!

Comment

The third in the main Conjuring series has a pre-credits sequence that plays as a mini-remake of THE EXORCIST, complete with visual and other homages to Friedkin's classic. Stepping up to the Director's seat is Michael Chaves (James Wan co-wrote the screenplay with David Leslie Johnson).

As with the previous two films, this is purportedly based on a true incident in the paranormal careers of Ed Warren (Patrick Wilson) and Lorrain Warren (Vera Farmiga). The original case involved a young man named Arne (Ruairi O'Connor) who murdered his landlord. The case made headlines because of his line of defense: The Devil Made Me Do It. Even if you believe the Warrens' story to be true, the screenplay here goes off into “creative' directions all its own.

Chaves' Direction is a bit more sensationalistic than Wan's in the first two movies, but, they are still mostly of a piece (the other sequels and offshoots not so much). Not as gory or violent as most mainstream modern horror, the Conjuring series is a small cut above. Still, as with Wan, Chaves is addicted to the jump scare which is almost always accompanied by a piercing music jolt and sound effects. The few times when the suspense gets to play on it's own, are, unsurprisingly, the most effective. Michael Burgess' cinematography has some smooth moves, but, is often too dark.

Still, what keeps the series afloat are Wilson and Farmiga. Even if the stories are hooey, the pair of actors act as if they believe it. They take it seriously, so the audience does as well (to a point). And, they have genuine chemistry. You believe them together. Not so believable is dialogue such as, “the connection works both ways” - experienced psychic phenomena investigators like the Warrens are shocked, SHOCKED!! to discover this? Even aside from the fact that the true story is shunted aside for much of the run-time (the court scenes are very brief), the screenplay is disappointing. There are some shudders, but, rarely any build-up. CONJURING 3 is the least of the main series, even if it has it's moments. The Devil isn't at fault here, it's the filmmakers themselves.

Comment

There's a Conjuring Universe Blu-ray boxed set in the works.

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/the-...belle-the-nun/

Click image for larger version

Name:	conjring.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	390945
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                    X