WAR OF THE DEAD -- Nazi Zombies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAR OF THE DEAD -- Nazi Zombies!

Anyone seen this? It came out on BR/DVD this week. I have read some reviews that are mostly summed up by "meh, it was okay but not all that." I still have a soft spot for Nazi zombies so I am just looking for an excuse to get this, haha. Somebody give me one, dammit!!!

The cover art is pretty cool if nothing else.
    I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

But will your love of Nazi zombies overcome a dislike of fast moving zombies? I love Nazi zombies too, but am not so keen on fast moving ones and the trailer makes it look like these guys are agile, mobile and hostile.

I'd check this out if I could find it cheap.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I know, fast zombies - and then to add insult to gut munching - fast nazi zombies suck. The DAWN OF THE DEAD remake is the exception for me but that's it. I am puzzled by how they can fuck-up a FUCKING CAN'T MISS proposition like nazi zombies...but somehow they do it with the ease of Ted Williams nailing a heckler in the stands with a foul tip. Over and over...sigh. I still want to see this though.

Comment

I'm also generally turned off by really big AICN quotes on covers these days, but that maybe that's just me.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
          I know, fast zombies - and then to add insult to gut munching - fast nazi zombies suck. The DAWN OF THE DEAD remake is the exception for me but that's it. I am puzzled by how they can fuck-up a FUCKING CAN'T MISS proposition like nazi zombies...but somehow they do it with the ease of Ted Williams nailing a heckler in the stands with a foul tip. Over and over...sigh. I still want to see this though.
          Do you like the zombies in Return of the Living Dead?

Comment

So how many nazi zombie films are there? Old ones I mean.

- Oasis of the zombies
            - Shockwaves
            - Zombie Lake
            - The frozen dead (Don't know if this one counts...)

I'm not sure about this one: Night of the zombies
            http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082815/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

Comment

I think you covered most of the older ones there (and while I haven't seen it, I think in NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES they are indeed supposed to be both nazis and american troops - always heard that is a wretched film, though I am curious since I think Jamie Gillis is in it.) I would count FROZEN DEAD too, they're not traditional zombies but they are living dead, or dead parts anyway.

Newt, I have mixed feelings about RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, I like some things but the comedy has gotten stale for me and the better zombie scenes don't rely on them running around.

Comment

You forgot Dead Snow! It was pretty solid. Dark Sky put it out domestically. And yes, Gillis is in Night Of The Zombies.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Night-of-the-Zombies-box-V1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	342221
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                  You forgot Dead Snow!
                  No, I didn't forget it, Willem asked about older ones. I've seen it and didn't much care for it. I liked the zombie makeup but there was a lot of lame humor in it.

Comment

I've seen it and didn't much care for it. I liked the zombie makeup but there was a lot of lame humor in it.
                    I was pretty enthused for DS but ended up feeling the same way.

Comment

Joe Reeds' Night of the Zombies is one of the worst films I've ever seen.
                      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Willem asked about older ones.
                        Oops, missed that part.

Pretty scathing review of War Of The Dead here:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/War-of.../58143/#Review
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, that follows the other reviews I've read. I think this is one to wait til it inevitably hits the bargain bin in the near future.

Comment

Why do Nazi Zombie movies have to suck so bad? There's only two that you could argue are decent: Shock Waves and Dead Snow.
                            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I think you covered most of the older ones there (and while I haven't seen it, I think in NIGHT OF THE ZOMBIES they are indeed supposed to be both nazis and american troops - always heard that is a wretched film, though I am curious since I think Jamie Gillis is in it.) I would count FROZEN DEAD too, they're not traditional zombies but they are living dead, or dead parts anyway.

Newt, I have mixed feelings about RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD, I like some things but the comedy has gotten stale for me and the better zombie scenes don't rely on them running around.
                              See I saw RotLD opening night when I was 10 or so. And have loved it since then. Got it on VHS,Laserdisc,DVD and Blu ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X