The Hole (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hole (2009)

This seems to have barely got a release but it's an absolute cracker.

Joe Dante has cooked up an 80s style kids horror movie. The setup is cliche as all hell: a couple of kids are dragged along to a new home by their single mother who's just starting to date again which the kinds are none too impressed by. There's a scary hole in the basement that goes nowhere and a super cute girl living just over the next fence. But it's the delivery that counts and here Dante pulls off something a bit special.

It's as charming and cine-literate as you'd expect something from Dante to be but strangely for a kids flick it's actually pretty fucking scary. Certainly has a couple of the creepiest moments I''ve seen in a film for years and I'd be quite circumspect about showing it too young kids despite there being not a drop of blood in the whole film.

Really worth checking out if you're ever in a nostalgic mood for an 80s style kids flick. It's the film The Gate wanted to be.
    "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

This one didn't do it for me as much as I'd hoped that it would simply because, as you point out, it's cliche as all Hell. I liked the ideas, thought the performances were decent enough and that it was well put together on a technical level and agree that it's scarier than the average kid's picture but it never quite came together for me.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Yeah, I was excited to see it, but thought it was just alright.

Comment

Same here. The one plus is the 3D is awesome on the foreign disc!

Comment

I like Dante...at least I USED TO ........

Might get this one in and give it a watch as I thought THE GATE was a good movie....but could be improved...

Comment

Dante's SMALL SOLDIERS is a great kids film, I think this is up on PS3 for download, I've been meaning to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy G View Post
              Dante's SMALL SOLDIERS is a great kids film, I think this is up on PS3 for download, I've been meaning to check it out.
              It certainly is....and I think it was the LAST good movie he did......I was surprised to see his name pop up on one of the new Hawaii Five-o episodes too!

Comment

I watched this in 3D again the other night and I really did like it!

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony A View Post
                  I watched this in 3D again the other night and I really did like it!
                  Cool. I'd love to see this in 3D.
                  Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Working...
                  X