The Pope's Exorcist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pope's Exorcist

"Father Gabriele Amorth, chief exorcist for the Vatican, battles Satan and innocent-possessing demons. A detailed portrait of a priest who performed more than 100,000 exorcisms in his lifetime."

Russell Crowe plays the lead.

Starring Franco Nero as.... The Pope!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13375076/

https://www.dreadcentral.com/news/44...trailer-watch/

Rock! Shock! Pop!

FWIW, I think this looks very funny.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

How dare you besmirch Rusty's art?! Talk to my boss!

I guess anyone can use the word Exorcist, but with that font, they're pushing it.
      I'm bitter, I'm twisted, James Joyce is fucking my sister.

Comment

looks campy asf + franco nero as the pope ... I'm in!

Comment

Somehow Amazon says this has a 4/14 release date, which makes no sense.

https://amzn.to/3UrF6uG

Anyway, this is apparently what the Blu-ray cover art will look like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	81mP5F7dw5L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	388.3 KB
ID:	412628
          Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

did they switch gears and DTV this?

Comment

I think Amazon fucked up and put the theatrical release date in the listing instead of the Blu-ray release date.
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The last line of this review makes it sound like a camp classic:

"...is likely your one chance to see Crowe in flowing robes piloting a Vespa to the strains of Faith No More."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...-russell-crowe

Comment

So, I went and saw this in the cinema.

A lot better then I expected. Not a great film or anything, and it is a bit to cliched and steals to much from earlier excorsim movies, but Crowe raises it above its problems. He even speaks good italian in a few scenes. And of course it was a treat to see Franco Nero on the big screen, as the pope.
                  "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Silly Swede View Post
                    So, I went and saw this in the cinema.

All of these years and all of these forums and posts later, and Swedish Joe still never disappoints.

Comment

Damn right.
                      "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

This takes everything that's wrong with the modern American horror film and makes it so right. It's fucking hilarious. I thought I was going to die at the sight of Russell Crowe waddling along surrounded by a swarm of birds, and then levitating like Baron Harkonnen's fatter brother. The possession make up looks like Supreme Leader Snoke. Franco Nero vomits blood. The intentional humour doesn't even come close to the unintentional laughs. The only thing that could have improved it would be a scene of Rusty kissing a goat's anus or something. They missed a trick there.

I'm going to watch this again under the influence.

Comment

For me it was a "near hit" (i.e., I'd give it a mild recommendation). I really liked the twist central to the film involving the Spanish Inquisition (that's not really a spoiler, by the way). This reminded me of a recent movie I prefer, THE EXORCISM OF GOD. However, I didn't care for the histrionic acting of the child playing the possessed kid; modern directors have been pretty successful getting good performances out of children, so this is inexcusable. Also, the last quarter of the picture turned into somewhat of an action thriller, which made me wonder if Michael Bay had assumed the helm.
                          VHS will never die!

Comment

This movie had one great moment.

Russel Crowe riding a Vespa in priest's robes.

Comment

Working...
                            X