Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BONES AND ALL (L.Guadagnino, 2022) Cannibal Love Story by Director of Suspira remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BONES AND ALL (L.Guadagnino, 2022) Cannibal Love Story by Director of Suspira remake

Luca Guadagnino's BONES AND ALL is a sympathetic cannibal love story. Based on a young adult novel by Camille DeAngelis, the screenplay by David Kajganich (who adapted Guadagnino's previous film A BIGGER SPLASH) strikes a realistic tone. It's a horror film, but, it doesn't trade on the fantastic.

Maren (Taylor Russell) and Lee (Timothy Chalamet) are two drifters who meet by chance (mostly). What they secretly share in common is that they are both cannibals from a young age. In this world, there is a whole secret underworld of such people - hiding in plain sight as it were. Along the way, an older member of their kind, Sully (Mark Rylance), dispenses advice on the ways of their tribe.

The film is set in the 1980s but Guadagnino never pushes that fact. It's all done in a very naturalistic manner. There are no gimmicky 80s callbacks, nor any spoofing of the attitudes of the era. The period song selection is strong including tracks from Joy Division, New Order and George Strait (there is an amusing scene where Kiss' 'Lick it Up' is rocked to). Arseni Khachaturan shoots on 35mm film which adds to the authenticity of the production. Atticus Ross and Trent Reznor's score is spare and appropriately moody. It truly feels as if it is of its period. The cannibalism theme plays out somewhat like a vampire film, and the genuineness of the production reminds one at times of Kathryn Bigelow's NEAR DARK. They are kindred spirits separated by a few decades.

The sober approach extends to how Guadagnino handles both the romantic and the horrific aspects of the story. The gore isn't shied away from, but, neither is it ever gratuitous. It's an effecting Y.A. love story with a very dark tinge. Chalamet is quite good as a loner who takes a matter of fact survivalist attitude to his hunger for flesh and blood. Russell is mostly equal to the task, but slips a bit during a couple of the more outwardly emotional moments. The supporting cast is solid which includes Andre Holland, Jessica Harper and Chloe Sevigny while Rylance is creepy as all get out.

BONES AND ALL may not quite fully convince that it's a story worth telling, but, the production, sensitive script and skilled direction make for a engrossing film.

Really looking forward to seeing this. I missed the brief theatrical run, but my local library has the Blu-ray on the way.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
      Really looking forward to seeing this. I missed the brief theatrical run, but my local library has the Blu-ray on the way.
      It's also available to stream on all the usual outlets for about $6

Comment

Working...
      X