Slashers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert W View Post
    Good point. It does have an archetypal masked killer using a signature murder weapon, as well as screaming teenage knife/razor/chainsaw bait.

Not having read a lot of literature on the slasher genre, is TCM generally regarded as a proto-slasher?
    I think so. I have heard it and Psycho mentioned as the grandfathers of the slasher genre.

Comment

I'd say it is, then again I call Psycho a slasher and many of the early 60's rip-off's on up.

Comment

Psycho is definitely a proto-slasher/giallo.

An even earlier proto-slasher I think is Night of the Hunter, which very much feels like a forerunner to Halloween at times.

Comment

TCM is clearly a slasher film. I'm always surprised to hear people say otherwise.

Comment

I don't think of TCM as a Slasher at all. If anything it's part of a certain subgenre of horror best defined by Deliverance. City people go to the ozarks, stumble upon the rural denizens, shit hits the fan. Slashers don't really have that vibe aside from Don't Go in the Woods, The Final Terror, and maybe one or two others. So I don't think Slasher is the right genre for it.
            "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I think you could make it fit, though the main difference maybe is that for much of the movie you've got a family going after the female lead instead of a single killer?
              Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                I don't think of TCM as a Slasher at all. If anything it's part of a certain subgenre of horror best defined by Deliverance. City people go to the ozarks, stumble upon the rural denizens, shit hits the fan. Slashers don't really have that vibe aside from Don't Go in the Woods, The Final Terror, and maybe one or two others. So I don't think Slasher is the right genre for it.
                Well the teens in TCM aren't really city slickers. They're locals really.

Shifting films for a sec, I think a good argument can be made that the original Friday the 13th qualifies as a giallo just as much as it does a slasher flick.

Comment

Nope. A Giallo gives you a clue as to who the killer is. We're given no indication in the original Friday the 13th that Mrs. Vorhees was the killer. We had more indication that Roy was the killer in part 5 than Mrs. Vorhees.
                  "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                    Nope. A Giallo gives you a clue as to who the killer is. We're given no indication in the original Friday the 13th that Mrs. Vorhees was the killer. We had more indication that Roy was the killer in part 5 than Mrs. Vorhees.
                    I'd say that Friday the 13th is more giallo than not. You have the violent/gorey murders, the red herring, and, of course, a batshit crazy killer. Also, Cunningham ripped off Twitch of the Death Nerve here as well.

Comment

• I've never thought of TCM as a slasher, there are plenty of backwoods slashers like JUST BEFORE DAWN that have similar hillbillies but TCM has a completely different vibe, more full on intense horror, unrelenting. I admit it has the ingredients of the typical slasher but somehow it just comes out of the oven as a different beast.

I've always thought THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE was one of the earliest examples of a proto-giallo, there's a black gloved killer with a twisted motive and even a scene that had to have influenced Argento - the killer's eye staring out of a dark closet.
                      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                        I've never thought of TCM as a slasher, there are plenty of backwoods slashers like JUST BEFORE DAWN that have similar hillbillies but TCM has a completely different vibe, more full on intense horror, unrelenting.
                        For the sake of argument though, does that disqualify it or just make it an exceptionally good slasher? A more effective one?
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                          For the sake of argument though, does that disqualify it or just make it an exceptionally good slasher? A more effective one?
                          It doesn't disqualify it, I'm having a hard time putting my finger on exactly why I don't think TCM is a slasher but I just don't. In TCM the kids enter this twisted world of the Sawyer family, like it's another universe altogether...like I said, all the slasher ingredients are there but to me at least it's something else.
                          I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                            It doesn't disqualify it, I'm having a hard time putting my finger on exactly why I don't think TCM is a slasher but I just don't. In TCM the kids enter this twisted world of the Sawyer family, like it's another universe altogether...like I said, all the slasher ingredients are there but to me at least it's something else.
                            I think that it could be that the killers in TCM are far more fleshed-out characters than your run-of-the-mill slasher slashers are. That "something else" could be the house the Sawyers live in is practically a separate character all too itself.

I agree that TCM isn't your prototypical slasher, but I do think it has all the ingredients of one though.

Comment

• TCM isn't a slasher per se but its 'body count' storyline and Final Girl motif were very influential on the subgenre I'd say.

Comment

• TCM follows the slasher formula more than most films are unquestionably considered slashers. I agree that it "feels" different. It's the only slasher I've seen that actually frightens me. Being a effective horror film doesn't keep it from being a slasher.

Comment

Working...
                                X