RESURRECTION (A. Seaman, 2022) Rebecca Hall, Tim Roth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RESURRECTION (A. Seaman, 2022) Rebecca Hall, Tim Roth

Writer-Director Andrew Seaman's RESURRECTION is a dark psychological thriller about a single mother, Margaret (brilliantly essayed by Rebecca Hall) working at a pharmaceutical company. At first, her life seems orderly enough and she privately counsels a young intern at the firm, Gwyn (Angela Wong Carbone). Margaret's daughter Abbie (Grace Kaufman) is on the verge of turning 18 which causes some pre-emptory empty nest issues. Margaret is also carrying on an affair with a married man (Michael Esper). Tensions boil over when an Ex, David (Tim Roth; quietly malevolent), suddenly shows up in town.

Hall's performance is eerily intense from the start. An eight minute long uncut monologue reveals much of what her character is going though, and Hall commands the screen. As Margaret's concerns grow, the ante builds and builds into a mania. Hall's fervid acting becomes genuinely frightening intense. As the film reaches it's finale it is almost aggressively uncomfortable to watch. And, that's even BEFORE the movie reaches its actual climax!

RESURRECTION treads the line between straight drama, thriller and horror film only dipping into the latter at the very end (and quite graphically; the perverse symbolism will also turn-off some viewers). Hall's performance carries the movie on her back. It may not be a pleasant movie to view, but, she - and the movie -- will stick with you long after the end credits roll.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Resurrection-2022-horror-review-1200x900.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	421495
    JoeS
    Last edited by JoeS; 10-06-2023, 07:39 PM.

Originally posted by JoeS View Post
    Writer-Director Andrew Seaman's RESURRECTION is a dark psychological thriller about a single mother, Margaret (brilliantly essayed by Rebecca Hall) working at a pharmaceutical company. At first, her life seems orderly enough and she even privately counsels a young intern at the firm, Gwyn (Angela Wong Carbone). Margaret's daughter Abbie (Grace Kaufman) is on the verge of turning 18 which causes some per-emptory empty nest issues. Margaret is also carrying on an affair with a married man (Michael Esper). Those tensions boil over when an Ex, David (Tim Roth; quietly malevolent), suddenly shows up in town.

Hall's performance here is eerily intense from the start. An eight minute long uncut monologue reveals much of what her character is going though, and Hall commands the screen. As Margaret's concerns grow, the ante keeps building and building into a mania. Hall's fervid acting becomes genuinely frightening here in its intensity. As the film reaches it's finale it is almost aggressively uncomfortable to watch. And, that's even BEFORE the actual climax!

RESURRECTION treads the line between straight drama, thriller and horror film only dipping into the latter at the very end (and quite graphically; the perverse symbolism will also turn-off some viewers). Hall's performance carries the movie on her back. It may not be a pleasant movie to view, but, she - and the movie -- will stick with you.
    She is amazing in CHRISTINE if I have the title correct, as well, with her portrayal of the real life newswoman who committed suicide on the air.

Comment

Just a bump for those looking for something recent and off the radar for their Shocktober viewing list.

RESURRECTION is currently streaming on Hulu and Shudder as well as available for rental. It's on DVD and Blu Ray.

JoeS
      Last edited by JoeS; 10-06-2023, 08:04 PM.

Comment

This is a frustrating movie. It's intriguing, but the ambiguity really started to get on my nerves. Tim Roth's character is so evil in this.
        Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I quite liked it. Very perverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
            This is a frustrating movie. It's intriguing, but the ambiguity really started to get on my nerves. Tim Roth's character is so evil in this.
            But, that's what makes it so powerful. It reminds me a bit of Zulawski's POSSESSION (their titles even resonate).
            RESSURECION is less gonzo which makes it all the more real - and disturbing.
            JoeS
            Last edited by JoeS; 10-11-2023, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeS View Post

But, that's what makes it so powerful. It reminds me a bit of Zulawski's POSSESSION (their titles even resonate).
              POSSESSION is less gonzo which makes it all the more real - and disturbing.
              It didn't really work for me.
              Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
                I agree with Matt, and for the same reasons it didn't fully work for me either.
                "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

Working...
                X