Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smile (2022)

Lots of hype about this one right now.

UHD cover art was released over the weekend, no official date yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	309370807_530899588997957_1870546082971017100_n.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	401634
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Here's the full press release:

SMILE arrives on digital November 15th and on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™ and DVD on December 13th

Fans of the terrifying and mind-bending box office smash hit film SMILE can buy it on Digital to watch at home beginning November 15, 2022 from Paramount Home Entertainment. The film will arrive on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray™, and DVD December 13.
    The Digital, 4K Ultra HD, and Blu-ray releases come packed with over an hour of heart-pounding bonus content, including the award-winning, chilling short film by writer/director Parker Finn that inspired SMILE. Face your fears with deleted scares not seen in theatres, go behind the scenes with the cast and crew, then fully immerse yourself in the escalating nightmare with the director's commentary. Bonus content is detailed below:

• Commentary by director Parker Finn
    • Laura Hasn’t Slept—The original short film that inspired SMILE with introduction by director Parker Finn
    • Something’s Wrong with Rose: Making SMILE
    • Flies on the Wall: Inside the Score
    • Deleted Scenes—With optional commentary by director Parker Finn

Certified Fresh™ on Rotten Tomatoes®, critics called SMILE “haunting” (Erik Davis, Fandango) and “scary as hell” (Alyse Wax, Collider). The film stars Sosie Bacon as Dr. Rose Cotter who, after witnessing a bizarre, traumatic incident involving a patient, starts experiencing frightening occurrences that she can't explain. As an overwhelming terror begins taking over her life, Rose must confront her troubling past in order to survive and escape her horrifying new reality.

Released in theaters on September 30, SMILE has earned over $200 million at the worldwide box office, making it the #1 original horror film of the year.

SMILE will also be available on Digital in a two-movie collection with the terrifying thriller Spell starring Omari Hardwick. SMILE will also be available to stream on Paramount+ November 15th.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I think creepy smiles are creepy. Reminds me of Karen Black in Trilogy of Teh-ror.
      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Watched this last night and did not like it. The lead actress, Sosie Bacon, who I wasn't familiar with before this movie, was admittedly really good and quite convincing at portraying fear and possible insanity in a very believable way and it was cool to see Robin Weigert from Deadwood show up in a supporting role. The movie starts off fairly well but quickly goes downhill and turns into a less effective and less interesting version of It Follows, running out of steam before it ends just before the two hour mark (this could have been trimmed of 20-30 minutes easily). It's nicely shot, some decent production values and one or two nice effect set pieces but the story is stretched thin and some of the logic gaps were too hard for me to swallow.

A lot of people have said that the short film that this is based on is much better. I always watched that as it was included in the extras on the disc, but it didn't work for me either.

I think writer/director Parker Finn has some talent and I would be interested in seeing what he does next based on the stronger points of this movie, but ultimately Smile is a bloated mess.
        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Here's the short for anyone interested:

Great production values and good performance from Caitlin Stacey who was a Neighbours (Aussie soap) star at the same time Margot Robbie was.

I'll give Smile a look when it comes to streaming. There's something about the aesthetics of modern horror films that doesn't jive with me generally.
          "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
            Watched this last night and did not like it. The lead actress, Sosie Bacon, who I wasn't familiar with before this movie, was admittedly really good and quite convincing at portraying fear and possible insanity in a very believable way and it was cool to see Robin Weigert from Deadwood show up in a supporting role. The movie starts off fairly well but quickly goes downhill and turns into a less effective and less interesting version of It Follows, running out of steam before it ends just before the two hour mark (this could have been trimmed of 20-30 minutes easily). It's nicely shot, some decent production values and one or two nice effect set pieces but the story is stretched thin and some of the logic gaps were too hard for me to swallow.

A lot of people have said that the short film that this is based on is much better. I always watched that as it was included in the extras on the disc, but it didn't work for me either.

I think writer/director Parker Finn has some talent and I would be interested in seeing what he does next based on the stronger points of this movie, but ultimately Smile is a bloated mess.
            It REALLY dragged as it went on. Losing 20-30 minutes would have no doubt helped it a lot. I had to look up the lead actress because I was convinced that she must be related to Kyra Sedgewick, which she is, so go me.

Comment

man, I liked that movie better when it was called it follows. additionally it's way too long and boring in parts.

ps: kevin bacons daughter without make-up looks like she's in her late forties. since she's only 30 this means she can play that washed-up, mental female character for at least 10 or 15 more years in hollywood.

Comment

Originally posted by killer must kill again View Post
                man, I liked that movie better when it was called it follows. additionally it's way too long and boring in parts.

ps: kevin bacons daughter without make-up looks like she's in her late forties. since she's only 30 this means she can play that washed-up, mental female character for at least 10 or 15 more years in hollywood.
                I was remarking on that as I was watching it, not that I want to age-shame or whatever it is, but yeah....she's either faking the age, or looking old for it.

Comment

I thought it was alright for what it was. Very jump scare heavy, but they were good jump scares. I haven't seen It Follows, the film it was putting me in mind of was Drag Me To Hell. Very similar stories minus the comedy of DMTH. It only lost me towards the end when it wanted to drag in the childhood, family trauma nonsense that had no place in this one. Still... it passes the time.
                  "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

UHD steelbook release coming 9/12/25.

https://amzn.to/3PyI2Fg

Click image for larger version

Name:	41el+xzWVOL._SY300_.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	14.9 KB
ID:	416271
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                    X