X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 26 Dinosaur Hotel

TITLE-Dinosaur Hotel

SOURCE-ITN DVD

ITN aka the International Turd Network,no not really.But they appear to mostly release UK or Spanish made films. And their releases are usually shit.

Over the last year I learned about how there is a pile of studios putting out low budget DTV horror. And every week various stores have these films for 5 to 10 bucks.

Well it was back in the start of summer ,CodyLL of Cody's blog was doing a pile of dinosaur films to get ready for the newest Jurassic World film,I saw Dinosaur Hotel and figured what the hell. Saw it was from ITN and knew then the film would look cheap. And it was cheap,3 bucks. Well you get what you pay for.

A lady,who brings her kids,is at a hotel where dinosaurs roam. And is part of a game. Theree are twists and stuff. But the dinos look like stuff from the PS1 game Dino Crisis. And the kills look like cut scenes from that game.

The acting is from ok to HOLY HELL HOW BAD CAN YOU GET. With the lead lady's daughter being horrible.

The bad CGI is the only FX work in the film. And wow they do all they can to make sure the CGI isnt in the frame with most anything else. Like the scene near the end where the daughter is trapped in the kitchen. Fighting off raptors. She is swinging a club and the club and her are never in the same shot as the CGI raptor.

Every year for 31 Days of Horror I try out some low budget newer horror to see if there is a gem hidden in all the chaff. Well Dinosaur Hotel is not a gem. It is pure chaff.

Dinosaur Hotel gets a D+.

Cody covers Wolf Creek
    http://codysfilmandtvblog.blogspot.c...-2005.html?m=1

Comment

• 10/25
      El Colegio de la Muerte
      Alucarda

10/26
      Zinda Laash (The Living Corpse)
      Panic Beats
      La Venganza de la Momia
      Parasite (1982)
      Fiend Without a Face

Comment

• I actually streamed a horror movie last night before I played my daily music and ate supper. It was Terrifier, a killer clown slasher. Some brutal scenes, especially the girl who is sawed in half! The ending did not make any sense to me, though. I know there is a sequel, which figures. I give it 3 stars.

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
          Went to a fleapit theater to see TERRIFIER 2. It was the perfect venue for this outrageously brutal and mean slasher flick. It's needlessly long (138 minutes) and horribly paced, but it has some of the craziest kills I've ever seen (it gets close to AUGUST UNDERGROUND territory at times). The first 15 minutes are extraordinary and surreal, but then there's a weird 10-minute dream sequence that throws the whole movie off-balance and the pacing never really recovers. This turns out to be the film's major flaw: a good sequence is often followed up with a long, boring one. Not sure what the obnoxious run time is all about, actually; the original was a perfectly-paced, plotless nightmare and it worked beautifully. The bloated length here just exposes the lack of any depth to the story - it gets really tedious at times.
          I just saw the first one for the first time a few weeks ago, and the 2nd one a couple of nights ago.

First one is a nifty low-budget kill flick. I don't know that it deserves all of the hype it gets, but it was okay.

The second one I found to be a waste of time. The kills are so far overboard it gets into, "Okay, next, already" territory. And yeah, it lost it's footing way early on in the film, so the murder scenes were the only thing that kept it going. The run time was a horrible miscalculation; cut down on the going back for third helpings gore and trim the movie by 45 minutes to an hour, and it would probably be something I'd recommend.

Comment

• Day 27 The Wasp Woman (1995)

TITLE-The Wasp Woman AKA Forbidden Beauty

SOURCE-DVD-R made from premiere airing on Showtime in 1995

Somehow out of all these mid 90s Roger Corman Theater remakes of older mostly PD films I have seen the 95 Wasp Woman remake,known as Forbidden Beauty in some areas,the most. Saw it when it first aired,cause I had seen and felt disappointed in the original. Then a few years later the remake was rerun on Showtime and a bachelor crash pad house a buddy owned had myyself and 5 others drinking and watching it and laughing. Then back close to a decade ago when I got this DVD-r rip of a VHS recording ,in SP on a good HIFI VCR,of the original TV airing I watched it again. Then today.

Why out of the 5 or so of these remakes I own is this one I go back to often? Mostly cause the others are remakes of films I already enjoy. But that original Wasp Woman,that is in the top 5 movies I own the most copies of on DVD thanks to it being PD in an in every multipak of horror,is a boring as hell crap fest of a film. We get right at 4 minutes tops of Wasp Woman in the film. This remake while having soome dodgy FX at least gives us plenty of the title creature.

The remake also has Jennifer Rubin,who uses a very very obvious body double for the nudity in her sex scene,and Maria Ford. And this is Maria after she had some visits to the plastic surgeon. That original I can't tell you who anyone in the cast is. Hell the remake has Fred Olen Ray as the higher up that tells Rubin she is an old hag.

Directed by Jim Wynorski,this remake is the perfect example of how to reamake and improve an old horror flick. Now is it a undiscovered modern classic of horror? Hell NO! But it is a fun mid 90s Creature Feature that should be seen by more people. It is perfect for streaming on say Tubi or Amazon Prime. And for all I know it could be on one of those.

The Wasp Woman gets a B-

Cody covers Wolf Creek 2
            http://codysfilmandtvblog.blogspot.c...-2014.html?m=1

Comment

• OCTOBER 2022

001-Castle Of Blood **** Sinister Cinema dvd-r
              002-In Search Of Dracula ** Kino bd
              003-Dawn Of The Dead(78) **** bd
              004-Carnival Of Sinners * TCM recording
              005-The Whip and The Body ***1/2 Midnight Choir dvd-r
              006-Panic In Year Zero! ** bd
              007-Doctor Blood's Coffin *1/2 MGM dvd-r
              008-Ladron De Cadaveres ** bd
              009-Castle Of Evil **1/2 dvd-r of vhs
              010-From Dusk To Dawn Season One ack! dvd
              011-Whoever Slew Auntie Roo *1/2 bd
              012-Curse Of Frankenstein (1:37:1)**** bd
              013-Tales Of Frankenstein **1/2 bd
              014-War Of The Planets** TCM recording
              015-I Drink Your Blood ** BD
              016-Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things **** bd
              017-Tales From The Crypt Season One *1/2 dvd
              018-Deathmaster **1/2 dvd
              019-Planet Of The Vampires *** Old Kino bd
              020-Night of the Demon (UK 1957) **** bd
              021-Black Sabbath **** bd
              022-I,Vampiri ***1/2 bd
              023-Mark Of The Vampire *** bd
              024-Dracula Vs Frankenstein (71) **bd
              025-Mill Of The Stone Women ****bd
              026-Beast of The Yellow Night ***1/2 bd
              027-Creature With The Blue Hand *** dvd
              028-Brain Of Blood ** BD
              029-Star Crash * bd
              030-The Poughkeepsie Tapes *** dvd
              031-Dracula (58) **** UK bd
              032-The Land That Time Forgot ** bd
              033-The Murder Clinic *** German bd
              034-The Strange Door **1/2 bd
              035-I Walked With A Zombie **** dvd
              036-Village of the Damned (60) **** bd
              037-Alice, Sweet Alice ** TCM
              038-The Black Abbot **** German bd
              039-Willy's Wonderland Ack! Ack! Ack! bd
              If you have the chance to watch Willy's Wonderland, run like hell the other way. The only good thing about this movie is that Cage doesn't utter a word. Too bad that doesn't apply to the rest of the cast.
              "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Maniac Killer
                (Andrea Bianchi, 1987)

With a stressful week at work four fifths behind me, I felt the urge this evening to unwind with a beer and some ridiculous, sleazoid nonense.

With a CV which includes 'Strip Nude For Your Killer', 'Cry of the Prostitute', 'Burial Ground' and 'Malabimba', Andrea Bianchi clearly has a solid gold instinct for delivering exactly such material.... and here we find him in 1987, helming A EUROCINE PRODUCTION, with BO SVENSON, and a special appearance by ROBERT GINTY. How could I resist?

Well, long story short: expectations crushed. This was terrible.

It's one of those movies for which it's difficult to provide a concise plot synopsis, because there are far too many characters, none of whom ever do anything interesting, but basically the essence of the horror aspect is that Ginty is... some random rich guy... who, for reasons which are never made sufficiently clear, leads a small clique of, I dunno, perverts of some kind, who kidnap women who have displeased him and chain them up in generic, Satanic cult style torture dungeon.

Despite this sleazy premise though, there is very little exploitation or horror content here. In fact, after one token incident of sexualised violence during the opening, subsequent scenes all rather have the feel of a '30s serial, in which the kidnapped women thrash about in their chains, whilst the villains cackle and threaten to do unspeakable things to them... but very rarely actually get around to it.

Meanwhile, as per Eurocine's usual '80s house style, most of the run time is actually taken up with footage of liveried servants striding around various rented chateaus, a group of shabby-looking cops incessently getting in and out of a Citroen with a flashing light stuck on top, sight-seeing shots of Paris landmarks, and an absolutely excruciating parallel storyline in which Svenson's red herring research scientist uses a pile of BBC Micro computers to try to teach a poor, mute idiot boy to speak, so that he can heroically tell the cops who's been doin' the crimes.

English dubbing is about on the level of a lower tier '70s kung fu movie.

I dunno.... there are a few moments of random, low level amusement here which made it a marginally better option than just staring at the wall whilst drinking beer, but overall, very little here to recommend to anyone with access to any other movies at all.

D
                BW Haggar
                Last edited by BW Haggar; 10-27-2022, 07:25 PM.
                https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• 10/27
                  Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Comment

• Day 28 BrightBurn

​
                    TITLE-Brightburn

SOURCE-Tubi Streaming

Wanted something that was horror and another genre mixed to watch today. So went to Tubi,the best of the free services for horror and just oddball shit. Saw they had added Brightburn and what the hell it is horror/capeshit.

For those that have no clue what Tubi is and are old enough to remember the video store days. Netflix,Hulu and Disney+ are like Blockbuster/Hollywood Video and Family Video. But Tubi and Amazon Prime? They are that grubby mom and pop local video store. It opened in 1980 and has just one copy of any tape. But has stuff you don't find other places like The Cars that Eat People or both Evil Dead movies. Tubi has ad breaks but they are short and you get like 5 or so per movie. So free and not plagued with ads.

Started up the movie and looked it up to see which poster art I wanted to put up top. Most of them looked like that or were a tiny variant of it. Wait this came out in 2019??? Was thinking it was 2015 or so. But it makes sense it was 2019 I had posted a video about Rick Veitch's Maximortal vol 1 tpb and someone asked me if I knew about the movie ripping off the comic.

Elizabeth Banks and her husband can't have kids,and live in Brightburn Kansas on an old farm. A rocket crashes and in it is a baby. They adopt the baby and hide the rocket in the barn.

Yea this sounds like the Superman story,which it is. But when this kid hits 12 and puberty hits he starts gaining his powers. He gets mad the pushmower isn't working right and slings it across the yard. Then has this wanting to shove his hand into the still rotating blade.

When on a camping trip withh his dad,after getting the Sex talk,this creepy kid floats to the house of some classmate he is crushing on. Is floating outside her second story window and the girl sees him.

The only thing that appears to harm this kid is the ship. Which gets destroyed near the end of the film,in a great scene. And it ends with us seeing news reports of Brightburn rampaging all over the world. Leaving me to think we might get more films.

The film cost close to 12 million and made a bit over 32 million at the box office. So I am sure after home video and all that it made 3 times what it costs. But no sequel in sight sadly.

Does Brightburn rip off Maximortal vol 1? No not really. They both use the age old "What if Superman was evil and a moody teen" idea. This idea was done before Maximortal and part of the story when Veitch told it was parodying the already well mined trope of evil Superman.

I enjoy Brightburn. Sure I rather have a Maximortal movie. But that ain't happening. Sure I wish we got another film in this series. But yea looks like that ain't happening either.

Brightburn is worth watching and appears to making the rounds on the various streaming sites. Brightburn gets a B.

COdy covers The Orphanage
                    http://codysfilmandtvblog.blogspot.c...-2007.html?m=1

Comment

• OCTOBER 2022

001-Castle Of Blood **** Sinister Cinema dvd-r
                      002-In Search Of Dracula ** Kino bd
                      003-Dawn Of The Dead(78) **** bd
                      004-Carnival Of Sinners * TCM recording
                      005-The Whip and The Body ***1/2 Midnight Choir dvd-r
                      006-Panic In Year Zero! ** bd
                      007-Doctor Blood's Coffin *1/2 MGM dvd-r
                      008-Ladron De Cadaveres ** bd
                      009-Castle Of Evil **1/2 dvd-r of vhs
                      010-From Dusk To Dawn Season One ack! dvd
                      011-Whoever Slew Auntie Roo *1/2 bd
                      012-Curse Of Frankenstein (1:37:1)**** bd
                      013-Tales Of Frankenstein **1/2 bd
                      014-War Of The Planets** TCM recording
                      015-I Drink Your Blood ** BD
                      016-Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things **** bd
                      017-Tales From The Crypt Season One *1/2 dvd
                      018-Deathmaster **1/2 dvd
                      019-Planet Of The Vampires *** Old Kino bd
                      020-Night of the Demon (UK 1957) **** bd
                      021-Black Sabbath **** bd
                      022-I,Vampiri ***1/2 bd
                      023-Mark Of The Vampire *** bd
                      024-Dracula Vs Frankenstein (71) **bd
                      025-Mill Of The Stone Women ****bd
                      026-Beast of The Yellow Night ***1/2 bd
                      027-Creature With The Blue Hand *** dvd
                      028-Brain Of Blood ** BD
                      029-Star Crash * bd
                      030-The Poughkeepsie Tapes *** dvd
                      031-Dracula (58) **** UK bd
                      032-The Land That Time Forgot ** bd
                      033-The Murder Clinic *** German bd
                      034-The Strange Door **1/2 bd
                      035-I Walked With A Zombie **** dvd
                      036-Village of the Damned (60) **** bd
                      037-Alice, Sweet Alice ** TCM
                      038-The Black Abbot **** German bd
                      039-Willy's Wonderland Ack! Ack! Ack! bd
                      040-Dead Of Night (1945) **** bd
                      041-Master of Horror *** bd
                      042-An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe ***1/2 bd
                      043-Black Pit of Dr M **** dvd
                      044-Werewolf Vs Vampire Woman (87 minute) ***
                      "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• Back to it tonight with Phenomena via Shudder. All-time greatest decapitation in film!

Comment

Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers
                          (Dwight H. Little, 1988)

I suspect I have a very different relationship to 80s/90s numbered slasher sequels than most people who post here, in that I didn't grow up with them.

My ability to watch films of my own choosing was very restricted when I was a younger teenager, meaning that, by the time I had access to these films, I was already too snobby and self-serious to want to watch them.

Therefore, I've just caught up with them as-and-when through my adult life, without experiencing the glow of nostalgia with which many/most horror fans of a certain age approach them.

As such then, here is my mature, grown up review of 'Halloween IV: The Return of Michael Myers': it's pretty solid.

The photography in particular is very good (I loved the twilight images of American gothic / Halloween-y imagery under the credits sequence - super atmospheric), although it's a shame it's not shot in scope, preventing it from fully recapturing the aesthetic of Carpenter's original.

The script is what you'd get if you told a set of AI alorithms to write a Halloween sequel; just does exactly what's expected of it at every turn.

It's all very slickly done, fun and exciting, and understands how to use 'the shape' properly, without any messing about. Delivers the goods, basically.

That said, it's *maybe* about 10% too restrained and.. I dunno... mainstream-y to really hit the bullseye?

It suffers very badly from "all the characters are everywhere all the time" syndrome, and brief moments like the bit where Dr Loomis tries to 'reason' with Michael at the gas station (treating him like the human being he's just spent three movies telling everybody he's NOT) feel lame and off-message. And Michael is just *not quite ruthless enough* to be as scary as he should be (eg, when the script demands, he's very slow at achieving simple things like crossing rooftops to slaughter unarmed teens).

Still, these are minor complaints. If it was 1988, and I'd gone out with my friends to see a 'Halloween' movie, we'd have got our money's worth.

B+

Night of the Demons
                          (Kevin S. Tenney, 1988)

Yes, it's a 1988 movies from directors with middle initials double-bill!

This has never been one of my favourite late '80s horror-comedies, but it had been a while since I'd seen it, and fuck it... it's halloween weekend, so you've got to throw on a few random things like this.

Well, sad to say, I liked it even less than I did previously. The humour is all so crass and contrived, and the characters are so relentlessly dislikeable. "Charm" is a word I end up using a lot in reviews, and most of this movie's obvious inspirations/competitors ('Return of the Living Dead', 'Night of the Creeps', 'Vamp', etc.) have it in spades. This one though -- zilch.

It's basically just cheap and stupid, and its attempts to 'shock' through foul language and brief nudity don't exactly add up to a whole hill of beans in a world where John Waters movies are easily accessible & socially acceptable viewing.

There are a few cool moments (the famous ones, basically), but aside from that, I'm just too old (and/or not drunk enough) to get with this shit anymore.

Watching it felt a bit like spending an evening hanging around in a car park with a bunch of rich, white 16 year olds who think they're "punk". IE, not something I have time for at this point in my life.

Brian Trenchard Smith's sequel is far more enjoyable, I reckon.

C
                          BW Haggar
                          Last edited by BW Haggar; 10-29-2022, 08:50 AM.
                          https://breakfastintheruins.blogspot.com/
                          http://stereosanctity.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Day 29 Mass Hysteria

TITLE-Mass Hysteria

SOURCE-Shudder Streaming

Been close to 4 years now I have had Shudder. Sometimes I got months without watching anything on it. Then I will watch nothing but stuff off it for weeks.

I was looking for something short,knowing I was busy today. Saw this was 66 minutes and that is perfect. Sure that is not really even feature length,I've always been told a film has to hit 70 minutes to be feature length. So yea I get it if some claim this isn't a feature film. But I have covered shit of similar length like episodes of Masters of Horror.

And that is what this feels like. What if Masters of Horror stayed on the air and this is season 9. I loved Masters of Horror and damn it Mass Hysteria is a fucking fun and well made film. That cause of it's odd length I bet is forgotten soon.

Paige is a actress who just booked her first role in a major production in NYC. Currently she is doing the Halloween season in Salem Mass as part of the witch trial re-enactments.

It's her last night. She does what she has done for years now each night and accuses someone in the crowd of being a witch. Then curses them. But this time the frat jock douchebag she picks fucking dies.

Causing all these drunk college kids to believe Paige is a real witch and the rrest of the film is her and the rest of the acting group on the run from these morons.

Sure you see a few things through out the film that hint that there might be more to the people trying to kill Paige,a rash on a few hands. But a major twist at the end causes that to be handwaved away.

This being 66 minutes I doubt you see it much on cable. Not much woould have to be cut to make it playable on cable. I see this just kind of being forgotten,if it is even known now.

Mass Hysteria gets A-

Cody covers Let the Right one in
                            http://codysfilmandtvblog.blogspot.c...t-den.html?m=1

Comment

• Tonight was Revealer, a Shudder exclusive. Meh.

Comment

• 10/28
                                Two Thousand Maniacs!

10/29
                                City of the Living Dead
                                Dawn of the Dead (1978, theatrical)
                                Zombie
                                The Beyond
                                Ghosthouse 4: The House of Witchcraft
                                The House with the Laughing Windows

Comment

Working...