BARBARIAN (Zach Creeger, 2022)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BARBARIAN (Zach Creeger, 2022)

BARBARIAN (2022) - Two young people accidentally rent the same B&B. Tess (Georgina Campbell) and Keith (Bill Skarsgard) decide to stay for the night and sort it out later. A skeezy actor AJ (Justin Long) also figures in the mix.

Writer-Director Zach Creeger amps up the dread right from the start with even the most ordinary happenings being treated as sinister. A daytime meeting at a cafe is shot and scored like an axe murder is about to happen. When the first act finally reaches its climax its not the shocker it should be because the audience has been strung along too much. It's indicative of Creeger's lack of a sense of pace and moderation ( (same with much of Anna Drubich's soundtrack). Instead of lulling the viewer, it's more like: Finally! SOMEthing happened to justify all the caterwauling.

Many horror films rely on the 'Idiot plot' where only a fool would remain in the situation that is putting them in peril. Of course, without said idiots, many of the movies would be over by half-time. Creeger certainly has them here. On the positive side of the ledger, Campbell and Skarsgard do play off well with one another and most of the cast is similarly decent including that of a neighborhood drifter named Andre (Jaymes Butler). There are also a couple of amusing real estate barbs. Creeger does a couple of interesting structural moves, but they only temporarily divert from the deficiencies.

Unfortunately, BARBARIAN isn't just content with idiocy, but, also piles on the most Absurd of plots - even for a horror flick. Even the mildest scrutiny takes apart the premise's logic. As things escalate so does the Absurdity. A movie can survive idiots and absurdity - but, not both. At least not in the case of BARBARIAN.

Absurd or not (and it definitely is absurd), I thought this was a lot of fun. It is, as you point out, full of idiot moves but again, as you point out, horror movies generally need those to exist. I liked the cast, thought the sets were really well done, thought there were a few really enjoyable twists in it and overall just found it really entertaining. I was able to turn my brain off and go with it.
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I enjoyed it but with two problems. There was a pivot point that should have been much more developed, especially because of the earlier references to it. Instead, it was a shock quickly followed by " Oh, never mind."

The other weakness is the ending. is that the best they could come up with? Terribly unconvincing.
      Out here on the perimeter we is stoned...immaculate

Comment

I had to think about it. But i enjoyed it. Oddly enough, it was the second movie I watched in as many days where I'm like, "The rest of the city doesn't realize that THAT'S been down there for the last 40 years?".

But it was decent enough.

Comment

I thought it was a lot of fun, the absurdity of the premise never bothered me, horror is a subset of fantasy most of time and that's how I'd view this premise.

Comment

I liked this more than the other relatively recent hyped horror film The Empty Man, which had a strong prologue and a good scene in a field, but was way too long at 137 minutes. Barbarian was ridiculous, but had the good sense to not run over 2 hours (still it probably could have lost another 10 minutes or so if they streamlined Justin Long's story and I probably would have liked it more.)

Comment

Working...
            X