That Evil Dead Remake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Toyboy View Post
    .... the reality here is that these remakes ain't for me.
    Nor I.

I also avoided all of these except for DAWN which I didn't like, at all. It feels weak compared to the original, IMO, and brings nothing new to the table. I agree with you on the 70's INVASION and Alex on the 80's BLOB, I'd put those on the same list as THING and FLY.

Oh I did see the FRIDAY THE 13th movie but to me it feels like just another FRIDAY entry, which IMO is a good thing. It's more of the same which is mostly what I want from that franchise. Never aims to high or to low. Unlike say ELM ST where there's all this great potential to to do something, FRIDAY is just a maniac in the woods. When they do change it too much it fails, (GOES TO HELL, JASON X).

EDIT: Whoops, Alex beat me to it and I agree regarding the recent FRIDAY.
    "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• I see a fair amount of these remakes, I don't consider myself in the target audience (which I think is mostly younger people who aren't familiar with the originals), but I'm a horror fan and take them on a case by case basis as to whether I'm interested. I like to see horror films in the theater so I'm willing to take a chance. I didn't care for the FRIDAY THE 13TH remake, it all felt too slapdash to me. No one made an impression (say what you want about the original, a few of the actors were decent enough to remember at least). I think trying to combine the stories of 1 and 2 was a mistake too. I thought the DAWN remake was really good, I still watch the dvd every now and then. It changed enough from the Romero film to almost qualify as something different, a cash-in say. The EVIL DEAD remake was, save for the gore, completely forgettable to me. And gore ain't enough to make me want to watch it again. Never saw the ELM ST. one, I just wasn't interested.
      I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• The reactions in this thread are better than the film.

Somebody remake this thread in a different sub-forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
          What was up with the 80's and the really good horror remakes all having "The" in the title?
          I think you just nailed the problem here: they dropped the "The" from the title.
          Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
            I didn't care for the FRIDAY THE 13TH remake, it all felt too slapdash to me. No one made an impression (say what you want about the original, a few of the actors were decent enough to remember at least). I think trying to combine the stories of 1 and 2 was a mistake too.
            I rewatched this last night attempting to view it as a remake. As much as they say it's a remake, especially blending parts 1 and 2 (and 3!) I just don't get that vibe. The opening with the mother seems to me more like a recap, similar to the way parts 1-8 all retold the legend of Jason and his mother via flashbacks. With the camp in ruins it feels appropriately like another entry 30 years later. No harm no foul. I guess this is just how I rationalize it. I do like it better than the previous New Line entries, but it still can't touch 1-8. I understand why someone wouldn't like it. The characters a more annoying and unlikable than usual and the one guy that isn't, the guy looking for his sister, doesn't get the screen time he deserves. You end up spending the majority of the film with a bunch of assholes. Still, I appreciate the tone and that it isn't jokey like JASON VS FREDDY and JASON X. I've warmed up to GOES TO HELL over the years, I used to hate it by now I quite like it.

But I understand what you mean.
            "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

• I agreee Scott, the FRIDAY 13th remake was more like a continuation of the series...with a little recap at the beginning to get everyone up to speed....then it was business as usual....

Which is probably the main reason why it was a remake that worked,,,they didnt water down the original story for 90 mins....nor did they try to completely copy the original...but nor did they try to change or "update" any of it.....and, while it wasnt up to the CLASSIC F13th stuff..it was still pretty good..

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post
                I rewatched this last night attempting to view it as a remake. As much as they say it's a remake, especially blending parts 1 and 2 (and 3!) I just don't get that vibe. The opening with the mother seems to me more like a recap, similar to the way parts 1-8 all retold the legend of Jason and his mother via flashbacks. With the camp in ruins it feels appropriately like another entry 30 years later. No harm no foul. I guess this is just how I rationalize it. I do like it better than the previous New Line entries, but it still can't touch 1-8. I understand why someone wouldn't like it. The characters a more annoying and unlikable than usual and the one guy that isn't, the guy looking for his sister, doesn't get the screen time he deserves. You end up spending the majority of the film with a bunch of assholes. Still, I appreciate the tone and that it isn't jokey like JASON VS FREDDY and JASON X. I've warmed up to GOES TO HELL over the years, I used to hate it by now I quite like it.

But I understand what you mean.
                I'm not a fan of the New Line ones either, not even GOES TO HELL. 8 was pretty weak tea but I'd revisit that before I'd go to one of the New Liners. While I didn't care for the new F13TH, you sometimes get a pleasant surprise with these remakes or updates or whatever you want to call them. SORORITY ROW was a surprisingly good one that changed quite a lot of the story from THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW. It's not as good as the original but it's one of the better modern ones I've seen. On the flip side though, the PROM NIGHT remake was a fucking piece of soulless shit. That one actually angered me it was so terrible. Not an ounce of heart or love for the slasher genre in that thing.
                I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

• Jason X was more fun for me than any of the others in the series. Some of the lines had me rolling on the floor.

The Evil Dead remake wasn't as bad as it could have been. But it wasn't scary and it isn't something that I need to own or even sit through again.
                  "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

• Re: That Evil Dead Remake?

What ticks me off is the hook for a lot of folks was the preview, "we're going to get you, we're going to get you" is not even in it. Several commented on this at the end of the movie when saw in theater.

Makes no sense not having the scene.

Comment

• The Japanese sure went all out on the release for this one...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1385854_10151757501714412_1399693268_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	344402
                      Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

• What's next? A box set that comes equipped with a Bruce Campbell blow up doll... also equipped with a blow up chainsaw and blow up shotgun?
                        "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                          Limited to 10 copies... when I think that some people whine over and over about Twillight Time and their 3000 copies limit

Comment

• Fuckin' Twilight Time...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimmy Simard View Post
                              Limited to 10 copies... when I think that some people whine over and over about Twillight Time and their 3000 copies limit
                              Was part of some competition....this one was never designed to be sold I think....

As ever, the japanese manage to outdo everyone with their DVD box set!!...shame the movie wasnt really worth all that effort ....Though I think EVIL DEAD (original series) was SUPER popular over there!

Comment

• Looks like the sequel may be in trouble.

Alvarez said:

“Look, I am sorry to tell you this but that movie won't happen,” he tells the site before dropping the bomb. “Evil Dead 2 is not going to happen, at least not with us involved. We left that project many months ago because we preferred to put our energies on other things.

“I don't know if the producers still have intentions of making it. But what I can tell you is that we are not part of that project.”
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X