Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncork’d Entertainment Releasing Something In The Woods

Press release!

Uncork’d Entertainment has acquired Alexander T. Hwang’s nail-biting SOMETHING IN THE WOODS. Scripted by Deanna Gomez, the creature feature tells of two women who battle a frightening monster in the woods.

SOMETHING IN THE WOODS, starring Nicole Cinaglia, will be released on digital and DVD September 6.

Nora Thompson, a reporter, has become an overnight celebrity by exposing Senator Morrison’s illegal activities. As a result of the harmful exposé, the senator commits suicide, and his daughter kidnaps Nora and takes her deep into the woods to avenge her father. While Nora battles for her life, they encounter something evil hunting them. Now, the two women must work together to stay alive.

"A suspenseful and very well-made film, SOMETHING IN THE WOODS is a thrill-a-minute creature feature that will appeal to fans of such classic as PREDATOR and PREY” said Keith Leopard, President Uncork’d Entertainment. "Alexander T.Hwang is a director to keep an eye on”.

The film’s producers negotiated the deal on behalf of the film team with Keith Leopard of Uncork'd Entertainment.

Rock! Shock! Pop!

Next time, they should just release whatever they're cranking out into the septic tank.

Comment

I wonder who would watch this? I barely have enough time to keep up with all of the movies I want to see. I'm not trying to be mean, and I'm not singling out this movie in particular, but with the overwhelming amount of shit to watch, what would possess someone to check this out? Are the filmmakers just hoping for people to stumble across it? TOO MANY MOVIES!!!!
      Matt H.
      Last edited by Matt H.; 08-19-2022, 09:26 AM.
      Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
        I wonder who would watch this? I barely have enough time to keep up with all of the movies I want to see. I'm not trying to be mean, and I'm not singling out this movie in particular, but with the overwhelming amount of shit to watch, what would possess someone to check this out? Are the filmmakers just hoping for people to stumble across it? TOO MANY MOVIES!!!!
        This particular company dumps a LOT of their lousy “movies” to Amazon Prime Video. They seem to be just a content mill, no quality, mass quantity.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post

This particular company dumps a LOT of their lousy “movies” to Amazon Prime Video. They seem to be just a content mill, no quality, mass quantity.
          A lot of indie companies seem to have adopted the sausage factory mentality; I'm not in the business, so I don't really know, but how can it be profitable to shoot all of these movies and just hope that someone might be bored enough to give them a shot. Are they tax write-offs or what? It's a strange business model, for sure.

Comment

A lot of indie companies seem to have adopted the sausage factory mentality; I'm not in the business, so I don't really know, but how can it be profitable to shoot all of these movies and just hope that someone might be bored enough to give them a shot. Are they tax write-offs or what? It's a strange business model, for sure.
            I think Uncork'd (Fucking obnoxious name) picks up indies cheap and flips the stream rights, which is why their shit is all over the place in terms of budgets and effort levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post

I think Uncork'd (Fucking obnoxious name) picks up indies cheap and flips the stream rights, which is why their shit is all over the place in terms of budgets and effort levels.
              Ah, sort of like a package deal. Makes sense.

You'd think they would just try and pick up some quality titles first - to establish themselves as a label to watch and/or trust - instead of just churning out anything right out of the gate.

Comment

Streaming is the modern day equivalent to SOV stuff back in the 80s and 90s. The shelves of rental stores were flooded with tons and tons of low budget product back then, so given that digital technology now allows anyone with the ambition and a few hundred bucks to make a movie, it only makes sense that we'd see more and more stuff like this hit various platforms.

I'm of the opinion that it's a good thing, even if I don't have any interest in the majority of it. Everyone has to get their start somewhere and if some low budget, clunky, straight-to-Tubi movie gives someone that start and they're able to grow as a filmmaker and move on to better projects through that path, why shouldn't they? And if Uncork'd (obnoxious or not, they got your attention Darcy!) can make income doing it, good for them. After all, nobody has to watch anything they don't want to.
                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

All of that makes sense, Ian. I think the one little thing that irks me about it (and this could also be applied to the previous eras) is the companies really seem to be targeting suckers and taking advantage of genre fans in a way. I know this is the nature of exploitation, but sometimes I wish they would try a little bit harder in actually delivering memorable films instead of just churning them out and seeing what sticks.

Comment

All of that makes sense, Ian. I think the one little thing that irks me about it (and this could also be applied to the previous eras) is the companies really seem to be targeting suckers and taking advantage of genre fans in a way. I know this is the nature of exploitation, but sometimes I wish they would try a little bit harder in actually delivering memorable films instead of just churning them out and seeing what sticks.
                    And that's completely fair, but like you say, it does apply to previous eras as well - and to play devil's advocate, I could point out that a lot of the trash, horror and exploitation movies we all love are complete rip offs of better known films (just think about all the Italian knock offs from the 80s!). Granted, those have a charm that a lot of this newer stuff doesn't seem to be, but I can't honestly say how much of that is nostalgia - would someone not obsessed with cult movies enjoy something like Abbey on its own or just dismiss it as unoriginal and churned out?

There's no right answer here, obviously it's all just personal preference, but I like the fact that there are still people out there making stuff like this, again, even if I don't watch much of it myself (which means you guys are stuck with the occasional Uncork'd press release popping up in the forum now and then, like it or not, haha!).
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                    X