Amityville Karen from SRS Cinema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by srscinema View Post

Dismissing a movie based on title, okay; defending a movie based on said criticism, bush league. Okkkkk lol.

My response was meant in jest, tho some thread of truth to it - comments like that, esp right after I was trying to promote it, are frustrating. You have no idea bc you don't deal with this like I do. But Matt seems like a cool dude, I have no problem with him or anyone sharing an opinion, just hope they wouldn't dismissive a movie based on title alone.
    Sorry, going to have to stick to my guns here. The title is awful and it's awful because it's so lazy and trendy and simply trying to bait people who see something they recognize from the headlines. It's lame. It's one step away from calling a film #Amityville or AMITYVILLE: MONKEYPOX. There's nothing clever about it.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post

Sorry, going to have to stick to my guns here. The title is awful and it's awful because it's so lazy and trendy and simply trying to bait people who see something they recognize from the headlines. It's lame. It's one step away from calling a film #Amityville or AMITYVILLE: MONKEYPOX. There's nothing clever about it.
      And again, I'll stand by a filmmaker making the movie he wants to, which Shawn did. It's presumptuous to claim to know his motivations - maybe he loves the amityville movies and wanted to contribute to them?

Being trendy goes hand in hand with cinema (as someone who promotes movies, I can tell you - genius title, but you are welcome not to like it of course). Dismissing that comes off as trying to be edgy. But to each their own, peace!

Comment

I just noticed this is now on Tubi TV.
        VHS will never die!

Comment

Originally posted by srscinema View Post
          Dismissing that comes off as trying to be edgy.
          Anyone seasoned enough in exploitation cinema knows the long-standing tradition of ballyhoo and "title first" filmmaking. This debate started because of a judgment based on a title, normally not the best way to assess a film as yet unseen but in this case warranted. We know the score here. If you've spent any amount of time scrolling through the HORROR section of Tubi you're going to be well familiar with this level of crass - about the most appropriate word for this type of movie - creation and marketing.

I would have to imagine that as someone who promotes films and uses social media you understand the dynamics of public reaction: title gets announced, people comment on it. Some positive, some negative. It's more imperative on you and the company you represent to "move on", as you suggested, than it is for the potential audience to when they encounter something distasteful. Not everyone is going to be keen on your product or your tactics and in the internet age they get to express that publicly. It's been that way for over two decades now. Go ask the people at any other studio if they've ever experienced a negative reaction to an announcement or a trailer drop. You'll get a tidal wave of hands up in the air.

Now everyone can have a complete KRULL lifestyle.

Comment

Working...
          X