'Horror Hotel' (1960) – John Moxey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Horror Hotel' (1960) – John Moxey.

While being greatly afeared, I still love to watch the wicked witch of Whitewood weave her wretched wrongdoings in the sinisterly satanic 60s shocker 'Horror Hotel'. And 'Witch Magazine' recently awarded malevolent Mary Selwyn the much prized Candlemas Crown for her most spellbinding talent! If you are not 'familiar' with her wayward ways, you shall rune the blackened day you deigned to denounce the immortally hateful Mary Selwyn! 'Stay just the one fateful night at the historically inhospitable'Horror Hotel' and spend an eternity in hell!' John Moxey's deliciously atmospheric, majestically monochromatic macabre masterpiece is eerily enlivened by yet another sublimely sinister performance by the scintillatingly suave sultan of shock Sir Christopher Lee!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 300 years old! Human blood keeps them alive forever! Who amongst you might dare to visit 'Horror Hotel' (1960).jpg
Views:	402
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	397506

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	397507

Name:	8P1030374.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	1,004.5 KB
ID:	397508

One of my all time favorites.
    "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

This and Carnival of Souls were what got me into black and white movies maybe 15 or so years ago, before seeing them I would avoid black and white movies but now I try to at least buy a few every October.

Comment

Somehow this one escaped me til quite recently. I sat down to watch it not expecting much and was blown away. Seems very underhyped for what it is. Given the unexpected offing mid way I wonder if it beat Psycho to the punch? Google gives an 8 September release date for Psycho and a less specific Spetember 1960 date for Horror Hotel. Seems a hell of a coincidence.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

HH was filmed in 1959 IIRC.
          "The popcorn you're eating has been pissed in. Film at 11".

Comment

Amazing film. I watch it every October.

Comment

Matinee Movie Of The Week - Shocktober Edition

John Llewellyn Moxey's chiller is one of my favorite low-budget horror films of the 60's. This British production is set in Massachusetts and concerns a student (Venetia Stevenson) who is studying witchcraft - and, boy, does she find that it's alive and well! Her first clue is that her Professor is played by none other than Christopher Lee.

I got a rare chance to see a 35MM print at the American Cinemateque several years ago with Producer Max Rosenberg in attendance (along with a showing of THE HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD). An experience to remember! A few hours before departing for the theater, I debated even going! You see, I so vividly remember watching HORROR HOTEL on a 19 inch B&W TV in my college dorm and feeling that it was a buried treasure. And, creepy to boot! You almost don't want to spoil such a memory. Luckily, though the film has its weaknesses, it DOES still work! And, there are some scary bits that hold up fine. Revisiting HORROR HOTEL made me wince a little at the faux New England setting, the fog which lays on the ground like a deviant shag carpet, but, it's such a fine spooky tale, no matter.

P.S. On the point others have made about the similarities with Hitchcock's PSCYHO (i.e. A pretty blonde woman checking into a creepy hotel. Stripping down to lingerie. Not living for the 2nd Half of the picture etc. One MORE little point that crossed my mind that night: The Author of the book PSYCHO was based on was Robert Bloch. The same Robert Bloch that was involved in so many of Producer Max Rosenberg's Amicus Films (I.E. ASYLUM, HOUSE THAT DRIPPED BLOOD etc). Interesting....

HORROR HOTEL is currently widely available to stream on sites like Tubi, Freevee, Plex and Kanopy (free w/library card - no commercials!). It's on DVD and an OOP Blu Ray.

Name:	HORRORCOMBO.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	588.0 KB
ID:	422442

Comment

Awesome horror film, one of the best!
                "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

One I watched at first just cause I was trying to track down every film the Misfits wrote a song about. Damn good movie that should be known by more folks.

Comment

Working...
                  X