Name:	menrsp.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	396084

Street Date: 8/9/2022
    Blu-ray™ + DVD + Digital SRP: $39.99
    DVD SRP: $29.96

PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
    Alex Garland’s unsettling and enigmatic horror film, Men, arrives on Blu-ray™ + DVD + Digital and DVD August 9 from Lionsgate. The gruesome horror film follows a young woman who goes on a solo vacation to the English countryside following the death of her ex-husband. Written and directed by Academy Award® nominee Alex Garland (Ex Machina, Annihilation, Never Let Me Go), Men will be available for the suggested retail prices of $39.99 for Blu-ray + DVD + Digital and $29.96 for DVD.

OFFICIAL SYNOPSIS
    In visionary filmmaker Alex Garland’s (Ex Machina, Annihilation) feverish, shape-shifting new horror film, Harper (Jessie Buckley) retreats alone to the beautiful English countryside in the aftermath of a personal tragedy, hoping to have found a place to heal. But someone or something from the surrounding woods appears to be stalking her. What begins as simmering dread becomes a fully-formed nightmare, inhabited by her darkest memories and fears.

CAST
    Jessie Buckley Oscar® nominee (2021, Actress in a Supporting Role, The Lost Daughter), I'm Thinking of Ending Things, Judy
    Rory Kinnear No Time to Die, The Imitation Game, TV’s “Penny Dreadful”
    Paapa Essiedu Primetime Emmy® nominee (2021, Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie, TV’s “I May Destroy You”), TV’s “Gangs of London,” TV’s “Press”

BLU-RAY / DVD SPECIAL FEATURE
    Rebirth: The Making of Men

PROGRAM INFORMATION
    Year of Production: 2022
    Title Copyright: Men © 2022 Men Film Rights LLC. All Rights Reserved. Artwork & Supplementary Materials © 2022 Lions Gate Entertainment Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Type: New Release
    Rating: R for disturbing and violent content, graphic nudity, grisly images and language
    Genre: Horror
    Closed-Captioned: N/A
    Subtitles: Spanish Subtitles, English SDH
    Feature Run Time: 100 minutes
    Blu-ray Format: 1080p High Definition 16x9 (1.85:1) Presentation
    Blu-ray Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio™
    DVD Format: 16x9 (1.85:1) Presentation
    DVD Audio: English 5.1 Dolby Audio
    Rock! Shock! Pop!

This is pretty cool. I got a bit lost during the climax, but it's an ambitious allegory that I'll definitely watch again in the future. It reminded me of Aronofsky's mother!.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

I don't know what this is but it's fucking terrifying! Jesus...
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
        I don't know what this is but it's fucking terrifying! Jesus...
        To expand on my extremely erudite and considered comment above, I'd like to point out that you should see this. This kind of reminded of a more thoughtful Takashi Miike film. There's some body horror at the end that may well have been inspired directly by one of his films actually. You don't get a lot of surreal horror. It's scarier than the other sorts because anything can happen and what does happen has a psychological underpinning that makes it... ickier. Anyway, it is, at the least, very well made by Garland who's becoming quite the stylist, and very scary.
        "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
          You don't get a lot of surreal horror. It's scarier than the other sorts because anything can happen and what does happen has a psychological underpinning that makes it... ickier. Anyway, it is, at the least, very well made by Garland who's becoming quite the stylist, and very scary.
          While I watched it, I wondered if it was a Lorcan Finnegan film, as it had a VIVARIUM vibe (to me anyway).
          VHS will never die!

Comment

I'm a sucker for weird, surreal mindfuckery, so naturally I liked this one. I just wish more movies would denounce toxic masculinity by depicting slimy quadruple male childbirth on screen!
            overall pretty effective, but the female lead could have been a bit more attractive (see I learned nothing from this movie).

ps: severin films would call this folk horror!

Comment

Coping with the ugly break-up of her marriage in London, Harper (Jessie Buckley), has escaped to a small village in rural English to recoup and re-group. It seems idyllic at first with a bucolic countryside and a cozy 500 year old home to stay in. That is until she takes a wrong turn of sorts, and her surroundings instantly become ominous.

Writer-Director Alex Garland (EX MACHINA, ANNIHILATION) sets up a metaphor for relationships here - the early glow of a coupling turning dark at a moment's notice. Buckley is excellent, as she was as a harried wife in last year's LOST DAUGHTER (indeed, the two characters share a certain kinship; As does her role in Charlie Kaufman's I'M THINKING OF ENDING THINGS in a way). Her performance gives the first section of the movie a real resonance as she carries the burden of her past and the man who brought her to a dark place. Special mention also to the versatile Rory Kinnear.

Signs of the patriarchy abound around Harper, from an imposing husband to the creepily friendly home owner to an uncaring police officer to a less than enlightened vicar. Oh, and there's a naked dude running around the property. The only other women on screen are only briefly seen, which only highlights how alone and isolated the main character is.

Unfortunately, once Garland takes the metaphor into strict horror film territory, it becomes increasingly less interesting. The prosthetics, reminiscent of early Cronenberg, and the CGI are ably done, but the effect becomes more unintentionally comical than dramatically urgent (comparisons have been made to Aronofsky's overwrought Mother!; Call this one “Father!” if you desire). Garland is clearly a talented filmmaker (his other scripts include NEVER LET ME GO and 28 DAYS LATER), but, as with ANNIHILATION, his aim is off. It's never truly scary, just grotesque at times. Genuine suspense is minimal since it's structure is pretty clear. Rob Hardy's digitally manipulated cinematography has a striking palette as does the production design by Mark Digby. The tech specs and basic ideas are there, but, the execution is a bit wanting.

Comment

Nice. It's like an enigma wrapped in a turducken.

Comment

Working...
                X