Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review of 'Reaper' (2014) – Philip Shih.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of 'Reaper' (2014) – Philip Shih.

Boisterously entertaining, this low budget throwback slasher has bodacious hottie Natalie (Shayla Beesley) riskily hitch-hiking the dusty back roads scamming on lecherous creeps for their dough to dutifully pay mom's medical bills, and after she reluctantly accepts a ride with greasy sleazer salesman Bill (Jake Busey) they both fatefully end up at the ominously monikered 'Last Chance Hotel', a deliciously doomy locale, this heart-broken hotel amusingly replete with visibly disturbed, batso bonkers, bible-blathering, doom-auguring receptionist Caine (Justin Henry). The local news dramatically report the extraordinarily lurid details concerning the supernaturally revivified mass serial killer 'Reaper' allegedly continuing his murderous modus operandi of super-sanguineous sinner slaying from beyond the grave!

Director Philip Shih's splattery shocker provides electrifying scenes of sublime midnight movie madness as noble-hearted, machete-weilding drug mule Danny Trejo and the monstrously beleaguered guests of the bloodily besieged motel do desperate battle with the high-wattage, hell-fired 'Reaper'. Consistently compelling due to the engaging performances of a damn fine cast, with Trejo, Beesley, Henry, and Busey's boozy curb crawling creep all being far more nuanced protagonists than the usually drearily disposable knife fodder. 'Reaper' is one eminently diggable B-Horror, with pacey direction, a creepier-than-thou location, pluckier than average final girl, and this red-eyed, reprehensibly rampaging, riotously revenging Reaper is guaranteed to scythe his wanton way into the contemporary slasher pantheon! While I thoroughly enjoyed 'Reaper', I could have done without the ceaseless grimacing of ex-footie thug Vinnie Jones, a boorish amateur with all the subtlety of a sinkhole! 'Reaper' is a pleasingly gritty B-crime horror hybrid that references Renny Harlin's cult classic 'Prison'.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	819.8 KB
ID:	393564

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	393565

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	393566

Name:	91d4xFMhfgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	391.0 KB
ID:	393567

I would've never looked twice at that crappy cover art or title (and Trejo would've made me even more suspicious). I love hearing about these little unknown gems. Will check it out for sure.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Working...
    X