Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review of 'The Being' aka 'El Ser' (1983) Jackie Kong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of 'The Being' aka 'El Ser' (1983) Jackie Kong.

With the gradual easing of the ferocious seasonal storms, the largely working class population of the small, unexceptional rural town of Pottsville had thought the very worst of it was over, but, in reality, their truly exceptional misfortunes had only just begun! Long hidden beneath the vile miasma of the town's government sanctioned nuclear waste dump, something wholly unimaginable had freakishly waxed to foul alien maturity to terrorize the reeling populace of Pottsville, beginning with a disturbingly grisly nocturnal assault, leaving behind no mortal remnants outside of a livid, odious-looking green slime!

'The Being' is a spectacularly bloody, enjoyably ridiculous retrograde creature feature that pits the bluff, down home Bob Seeger/Hugo Stiglitz-lookalike sheriff Lutz (Bill Osco) against the ever increasing manipulations of the obfuscating government stooge Garson Jones (Martin Landau), and the desperate machinations of incumbent Mayor Gordon Lane (Jose Ferrer). Most immediately troublesome is the glutinously slimy presence of some perpetually oozing, mono-orbed, midnight marauding, toxically twisted, gruesomely body ripping 'Being' who is more than capable of keeping one uncommonly strange, slimy step ahead of the sheriff's lugubrious investigations, hungrily harvesting the town's beleaguered residents with all the fiendish alacrity of some mercilessly night stalking, razor-jawed, eerily persistent, people-flaying predator!

Much like Steven Traxler's legendary eco-schlocker 'Slithis', 'The Being' is also a little rough around the rubberized edges, but Jackie 'Night Patrol' Kong's glorious throwback to the hysterically lurid, Drive-In shockers of the past is also one of the 80s more unsung, indie-horror heroes! Following bloodily in the equally feral footsteps of sensational Sci-splatter 'Deadly Spawn', 'The Being' is no less of an exhilarating, elephantine brained, blissfully bloody B-Movie bacchanal! The gloopy practical effects, while somewhat rudimentary are weirdly effective, since there's something deliciously disturbing about this heroically humungous, hideously malformed, jerkily moving head and its ceaselessly sludge-slavering maw, making 'The Being' one diabolically distempered, cyclopean entity you should never meet eye to eyes! And it is quite edifying to note that a modestly budgeted horror film made over 40 years ago still has more heart than 90% of the identikill, junk-brained, jump scare crud of today, and the eerie score by Don 'Eye of the Tiger' Preston is a constant, nerve-popping delight!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	393480

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	435.7 KB
ID:	393481

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	393482

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	393483

Name:	the_being__1983__by_putridgoreart_dcxph6o-pre.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	393484

Name:	the-being-2.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	393485

Name:	the-being-1983-martin-landau-attacked-review.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	393486

Name:	the-being-spanish-vhs-movie-cover.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	393487

We should start a thread where Weirdlingwolf can post all of his reviews in one convenient spot. All of these willy-nilly reviews are hard to keep track of.
    Why would anybody watch a scum show like Videodrome? Why did you watch it, Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
      We should start a thread where Weirdlingwolf can post all of his reviews in one convenient spot. All of these willy-nilly reviews are hard to keep track of.
      I'm in favor of one thread too. You're posting some great, obscure stuff Weirdlingwolf. It would be awesome if it was all in one spot for easy reference so I can track back to them for viewing later.
      "Never let the fact that they are doing it wrong stop you from doing it right." Hyman Mandell.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt H. View Post
        Board pollution needs to be controlled. If he wants to post his own blog, that works even better than spamming his reviews from elsewhere all over here.

Comment

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say that I prefer the separate posts because trying to find a specific title later is going to be a fucking nightmare if it's all one big thread. But I don't have much skin in this game.

Comment

The only thing that needs to be controlled are the mini mods that feel the need to but in all the time. Ian has a handle on this, if he needs to make changes he will.
            I don't go to church. Kneeling bags my nylons.

Comment

Originally posted by Marshall Crist View Post
              I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and say that I prefer the separate posts because trying to find a specific title later is going to be a fucking nightmare if it's all one big thread. But I don't have much skin in this game.
              The only problem with that would be trying to remember all of the titles that he's reviewed.

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post

Board pollution needs to be controlled. If he wants to post his own blog, that works even better than spamming his reviews from elsewhere all over here.
                To be clear, I wasn't complaining about the reviews - they're passionate and fun to read - but just that they may get easily lost after the initial postings.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Monroe View Post
                  The only thing that needs to be controlled are the mini mods that feel the need to but in all the time. Ian has a handle on this, if he needs to make changes he will.
                  Thank you, and I don't have a problem with it. Separate threads for separate films are fine by me for the exact same reason that Marshall stated. It's also how we've more or less always done it.

That said, Mr. Werewolf, please do a search for existing threads before starting new ones, as that does make things messy.
                  Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Darcy Parker View Post

Click on user settings, then account, scroll to the bottom and there's your ignore list. Problem solved.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

I am familiar with WeirdlingWolf from a Facebook group we're both in which he participates in very regularly. I'm sure he'll be just as interactive and contribute just as much here.
                      Alison Jane
                      Girl Boss Jane
                      Last edited by Alison Jane; 05-27-2022, 08:03 PM.
                      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Working...
                      X