No announcement yet.

the original NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and its sequels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, they were these generic ones, we were all underage. Some dude brought them. I just remember they were white cans with purple writing on them in block letters. Brutal stuff. My cousin puked his guts out after taunting me about the fact that he made my nose bleed in grade 3, and i beat the shit out of him in the back of the van.

Ah. Memories.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post

Oh and Heather Lagenkamp is a horrible actress. I'm sure she's a perfectly nice lady but she is not a good actress. At all.
      Finally someone agrees with me! I try to like the original but she takes me out of it every time.
      "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

I saw the first 6 in theaters. Thankfully my uncle took me to pretty much every horror and sci fi filmed that hit a theater near us for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
          Finally someone agrees with me! I try to like the original but she takes me out of it every time.
          Yeah, i'm not big on her, either. I think i had a mini-crush on her when I saw the first one, but I have no idea why when i watch it now. She's a really, REALLY bad actress. It's especially highlighted in Part III.

Comment

Originally posted by Newt Cox View Post
            I saw the first 6 in theaters. Thankfully my uncle took me to pretty much every horror and sci fi filmed that hit a theater near us for years.
            You were lucky. I had no horror fans in my family, I had to wait until friends and I were old enough to sneak in to see stuff theatrically.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
              You were lucky. I had no horror fans in my family, I had to wait until friends and I were old enough to sneak in to see stuff theatrically.
              Well this Uncle had no kids till I was 8 or so. And neither of his kids was into either genre. So he would take me. Got to see all kinds of great stuff and not so great stuff in the theaters.

Comment

Some of my fondest memories growing up in the 80's was going to the video store on Friday night with my parents and picking out a handful of VHS tapes for the weekend. While I was enamored with the cover art in the horror section my parents did an quality job of keeping us away from what was, at the time, inappropriate for my brother and I. So we mostly watched action and comedy flicks. If we did get to see a horror film it would be something like SILVER BULLET or FIRESTARTER. That said, I was able to con the babysitter into taking us to see ANOES 3, 4 and 5 in the theater. I would also rent the ANOES films when I visited my gullible sweetheart of a grandmother. I was old enough to drive myself to FREDDY's DEAD. I really enjoyed these films back in the day. They were gruesome, funny and some of my only exposure to horror. Fast forward 20 years and I've been making up for lost time. In the past few years I've watched well more than 100 slasher flicks. I'm an enthusiastic fan of the genre now.

A few weeks ago I decided to crack open the ANOES BD set to revisit the sequels I enjoyed so much back in the day. After seeing FREDDY'S DEAD last night I am saddened to say, the sequels are crap. Considering Robert Englund's terrific performances and the awesome concept of Freddy, I'm not sure they could have made worse films. Much of the problem comes from the victims and the actors that play them. Even by 80's slasher standards, the acting is terrible and some of the actors are poorly cast. For instance, the slutty girl (roach motel) in part 4 seemed more suited to play a rich priss. DREAM WARRIORS would be a fun film if I could stomach Patricia Arquette and Heather Langenkamp, but I can't. Even with all of the gay stuff, Part 2 was fairly compelling until FREDDY crashes the pool party. He looked ridiculous in what is easily the low point of the series. Which is significant considering Rosanne Barr and Tom Arnold have cameo's in Part 6. As for "the final nightmare", FREDDY'S DEAD is so terrible it could only have been made in the 90's. I can't think of a franchise this tired and play'd out that was allowed to continue this far.

When I think of all the crappy slasher flicks I've enjoyed, it's shocking that in 5 sequels ANOES couldn't get one decent cast put together that would satisfy the very low expectations I have for the genre.

I will be watching NEW NIGHTMARE for the first time this weekend. I here its decent. Gawd, I hope so.
                Jason C
                Last edited by Jason C; 03-11-2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

NEW NIGHTMARE was a breathe of fresh air for the series. Having Freddy go after the "real" actors from the movies was surprisingly effective. If it weren't for the overbearing score it would have been a slam dunk.

Comment

Nothing in Part II is the low point of the series. Nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by Body Boy View Post
                      I agree. Part II rules.

Comment

I dunno, "You are all my children, now!" is pretty low. Surpassed many times in other sequels, but that whole pool party is pretty bad.

Comment

Oh, and the dance sequence.

Comment

Originally posted by Body Boy View Post
                            Originally posted by Paul Casey View Post
                            I agree. Part II rules.
                            The series definitely has plenty of low points to choose from. So you guys are pleased with Freddy running around a "real world" pool party? He looks smaller than most of the "teens" and it certainly isn't dream like.

Comment

These days I only really like Parts 1 and 2. The pool scene might be a low point but the rest of it is great.
                              "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

Part II has baby Meryl Streep!

Comment

Working...
                                X