No announcement yet.

the original NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and its sequels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I like most about these, especially parts 1-4, is the extra comedy from horrendous acting.
    "No presh from the Dresh!"

Comment

The first one is still one of my favourites....probably because of nostalgia. I think if I was watching it for the first time at this age, I'd pick it apart. But it scared me silly at the time.

Comment

The first one had a fresh concept and was kind of a game-changer. People seem to love the third film, but I recall really being impressed with the fourth. When I bought the DVD set and revisited the series, the sequels seemed much more interchangeable than they did at the time. I wish the Blu-rays restored the ratings board cuts from 1 and 5, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom D View Post
          the delivery is commercial
          Sort of inevitable considering how massively popular Freddy eventually became. Compare the sequels to what passes for mainstream horror these days. The sequels were never short on ideas and really ran with the dream concept in terms of situations Freddy could be put in. Obviously with each film it got more and more cartoonish but the originality was still in tact.
          LA PASIÓN ESPAÑOL: THE EROTIC MELODRAMAS OF VICENTE ARANDA (1991-1999)

Comment

I have never been a huge fan of this series. Loved the first 1,part 3,6 and 7. The rest well not a fan of them. I do wish both seasons of Freddy's Nightmares would get released on DVD. I got most of them recorded off Chiller. But it would be nice to have a boxed set to throw on the shelf.

Comment

I like the first 3. I want to like New Nightmare but the child actor is too distracting. The first film has a lot of great moments (but as I've said before) Heather Langemkamp's acting is atrocious and really takes me out of it. Which is funny because the rest of the actors are fine. I like part 2 because it was still dark like the first film but has much improved acting. The ideas it had were interesting and the homo-erotic subtext is interesting to examine. Part 3 is my favorite. Perfect mix of cheese and horror. Great acting all around and just a fun concept. It's 80's as fuck but in a good way like Return of the Living Dead.
              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                I like the first 3. I want to like New Nightmare but the child actor is too distracting. The first film has a lot of great moments (but as I've said before) Heather Langemkamp's acting is atrocious and really takes me out of it. Which is funny because the rest of the actors are fine. I like part 2 because it was still dark like the first film but has much improved acting. The ideas it had were interesting and the homo-erotic subtext is interesting to examine.
                Ditto for the second film, which (imo) is a really interesting, undervalued sequel - not a perfect film, by any means, but more fascinating because of it. I like the first film quite a bit; I remember seeing it on a bootleg tape in the 1980s and being terrified by it, and I had a girlfriend throughout my teenage ears who loved the film, so I watched it a lot with her. However, NEW NIGHTMARE is my favourite: it's a clever film, much better (again, imo) than the similarly self-reflexive SCREAM.

The other sequels I'm not so fond of, though I revisit them from time to time (except for FREDDY'S DEAD, which I don't think I've seen since its first release).
                'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

None of the films are perfect. If I had the ability to mix and match elements of the first three with the elaborate dream sequences, Freddy's origin, good acting, likable characters, and darkness of the first two movies. Then you would have the perfect Elm Street movie.

I originally liked 4 when I was a kid but it doesn't hold up well today for me. Very tacky 80's hack film.
                  The 5th one has two of the best deaths of the entire franchise, but it's sloppy and inconsistent.
                  The 6th one should have been a comedy from beginning to end and I think the first act succeeds at this. But from the second act onwards the comedy dries up almost completely, the characters are unlikable, and it just feels like a limp-dicked horror film.

I think Freddy VS Jason is pretty good. It would have been better had it been made in the 80's but as-is it's pretty fun. Good send off to the franchises. Plus I love that moment where Freddy is dragged into the real world and (for the first time in all of the movies) has a real "Oh shit!" expression on his face when he turns around and sees Jason.

Comment

The 5th one has two of the best deaths of the entire franchise, but it's sloppy and inconsistent.
                    Results of filming without a complete script. Its clear they were trying to take a darker route with that one more in line with the first two films and mix it up with the over the top nature of the fourth and for the most part I think it succeeds. Its got a great look to it, the scenes at the asylum near the end are amazing. Plus Alice has always been my favorite heroine of the series.

Comment

Parts of part 5 are definitely good and Alice was better as a character in it. But it's too inconsistent as I said.

Comment

Someone just sent this out on twitter. It's too awesome not to post here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CJ-jjC0VAAAd9HG.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	348597
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

What is that?????

Comment

I much prefer Sharp Hand Joe:

Comment

Oh my god, I had that figure as a kid. It was sold at a dollar store along with other horror icons (just Universal era, no Jason or Michael Myers or Pinhead unfortunately).

Comment

Oh my god, I had that figure as a kid. It was sold at a dollar store along with other horror icons (just Universal era, no Jason or Michael Myers or Pinhead unfortunately).
                                Did it come in this box:

Comment

Working...
                                X