No announcement yet.

the original NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET and its sequels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The beginning of the end for Freddy when he became a "cultural hero" and kids were loving him!!!

Next was the inevitable sell out slide to over-kill

Comment

These days I'd say I only really like 1 and 2. The rest leave alot to be desired. Even NEW NIGHTMARE underwhelmed me last time I watched it. The trailer for that movie is still pretty excellent but it promises a much better movie than it ended up delivering, IMO. Of 3-6 I'll go out on a limb and say 6 is the most interesting with Alice Cooper playing Freddy's dad. It's a weird movie but not boring the way 4 and 5 are. 3 just isn't as cool as it used to seem to be. Especially at the time of it's release when I was 9, but therein lies the problem. Freddy vs. Jason is fun, could have been better could have been worse. Haven't seen the remake, probably never will.

Comparing it to the JASON films, I can sit down and watch any of those and have no complaints. I think because they never reached the same heights as the first ELM ST so it's easier to accept their routine. The first ELM ST is so creative and fresh that they had no were else to go but down. I even like the remake of FRIDAY THE 13th and think it fits in just fine with the rest of the films. Guy in woods axes people. The ELM ST series had so much more potential and we never got a really good follow up.
      "When I die, I hope to go to Accra"

Comment

I honestly have a soft spot for the whole series, the first is obviously the classic and they all pale in comparison, but I think the sequels hold up pretty well. 2 is a shitty sequel, with a bizarre premise and lots of weirdness to it, but it functions really well as a strange mid-80's horror movie. 3 is a great flick, and I personally think 4 and 5 work rather well. I liked that they carried on characters for multiple films, had them grow, expanded someone's story other than just Freddy, etc. That said, Freddy's Dead is an absolute turd. It was dated and cliched by the time it hit theaters, and it now just functions as an embarrassing reminder of the lamest parts of the early 90's. New Nightmare I still think is one of the best "self-referential" horror films ever made. It handles the Freddy aspects nicely, while still widening out the story and doing it in a new way that most of us had never seen before. Freddy Vs. Jason is, like others have said, a really fun live-action comic book.

On the subject of the remake, I have to disagree with some earlier comments, I'd argue that Haley is the most problematic aspect of it. I thought the script for the remake was really good, very interesting, and quite disturbing. I found all of the young actors to be solid, and most actually quite likable, which is a rarity for me in modern horror films. The nightmare sequences were all quite creepy, the death scenes shocking (I especially like how they updated Tina's death), and the only thing dragging it down for me was the dodgy CGI throughout, and a thoroughly unintimidating Freddy Krueger. Haley's a great actor, and the scenes where he is a pre-fire Freddy he is very good. But when he has to be sinister, it just doesn't work, and don't get me started on the godawful makeup that looks like a melted dildo. Yes, it's more like what a real burn victim would look like, but Freddy needs to be articulate or it doesn't work. Also, you know your makeup effects are bad when you have to go in and touch up a face in every closeup with CG. Overall, the remake is well worth a watch, I just wonder what it could have been with Englund in the role again, back to playing a scary, sinister Freddy devoid of the lame jokes.

Comment

ENGLUND is probably the ONLY one who can play Freddy...not because he was always the guy to play Freddy....but because he is f**kin SINISTER and CREEPY AS F**K as the main man.....

Saw him in "V" first...then later in interviews...night and day performances.....the guy is PHENOMENAL in the ELM ST series...and wholly underappreciated as a fine actor..The voice...the acting style...he had everything down...

HALEY SHOULD have been a worthy successor...but couldnt carry it off from the bits I have seen...

Comment

I actually had fairly high hopes for Haley in the role. I don't think the problems with the remake were his, though - it was just a goofy script.
            Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

The problem with the remake was the fact that it was a remake and bound to the original because clueless assholes thought it needed to be almost a shot-for-shot remake. Haley was good, put him in another movie that's not a remake.
              "Ah! By god's balls what licentiousness!"

Marquis de Sade, The 120 Days of Sodom.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex K. View Post
                Haley was good, put him in another movie that's not a remake.
                Put him in another film that is NOT and Elm ST!!!!

Comment

I liked 3, 4 and 6. The original is still the best though and the one I rewatch the most.
                  Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

Watched NOES III yesterday afternoon. I remember back around the time it came out being floored by it and thinking it was amazing. Now? Not so much. It has some interesting moments and some cool creature effects and hey look, Laurence Fishburn, but overall... it's dopey.
                    Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

You've never watched it except the first time?
                      Ŗǭƈḱ!Ꞩẖȫçꞣ!Ƥӧꝕ!

Comment

No, I've seen it since, just not committed it to memory like a lot of people our age have.
                        Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Jane View Post
                          Watched NOES III yesterday afternoon. I remember back around the time it came out being floored by it and thinking it was amazing. Now? Not so much. It has some interesting moments and some cool creature effects and hey look, Laurence Fishburn, but overall... it's dopey.
                          I revisited this one about five or six years ago, when the DVD boxed set was released, and remember thinking that it was fairly silly - though, like you say, with some great effects. I like the second film, which I think is quite clever for a sequel, but I'm not too fond of any of the other sequels except NEW NIGHTMARE.
                          'You know, I'd almost forgotten what your eyes looked like. Still the same. Pissholes in the snow'

http://www.paul-a-j-lewis.com (my photography website)
                          'All explaining in movies can be thrown out, I think': Elmore Leonard

Comment

The first one I saw was Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare, I guess I was about ten years old and it was on TV. I liked it but what amazed me the most were the end credits: a collage of cool scenes from the previous films in the series. The hunt for the others was on and luckily our videostore also let ten-year-olds rent violent films :)

Comment

Originally posted by WillemClaeys View Post
                              The first one I saw was Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare, I guess I was about ten years old and it was on TV. I liked it but what amazed me the most were the end credits: a collage of cool scenes from the previous films in the series. The hunt for the others was on and luckily our videostore also let ten-year-olds rent violent films :)
                              I saw that one at the Drive-In, with a van-full of us, completely smashed on blackberry wine coolers...ugh. I think it played with The Gate II.

Comment

I snuck into 4 and 5 in the theater. I wasn't 18 yet so we paid for whatever PG movie was playing at the time and walked into the NOES movies instead. Good times.

Oh and Heather Lagenkamp is a horrible actress. I'm sure she's a perfectly nice lady but she is not a good actress. At all.

Blackberry wine coolers?
                                Rock! Shock! Pop!

Comment

Working...
                                X